Favorite White Sox Memory With Your Family

hi8is

Went to Old Comiskey for 2 games back in 1990. Before the season I saw that the Sox were playing the A's(my uncle was with the A's at that time) on my birthday so the family went up to Chicago for a few days to see the games. Got free tickets from him and had a blast. Of course I had an A's hat on but hope you guys dont hold that against me.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 07:13 AM)
It was indeed in the bottom of the 9th. Not sure about the no-hitter though. Why? Were you there too?

If it was Dave Steib of Toronto pitching, in something like 84 or 85, yes I was. It was Rudy Law, Bryan Little, and Harold Baines with the homers. Then they were followed up with back to back doubles by Kittle and Fisk to make it 6-4. Then they went to the pen and closed us out. It was crazy.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
If it was Dave Steib of Toronto pitching, in something like 84 or 85, yes I was. It was Rudy Law, Bryan Little, and Harold Baines with the homers. Then they were followed up with back to back doubles by Kittle and Fisk to make it 6-4. Then they went to the pen and closed us out. It was crazy.

This may have been different then. I am 99% sure about Guillen being one of the HR's, because it was such a strange event. And Baines was another. So it had to be a season where Guillen was in the 2-slot, and he was a rookie in 1985.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)
This may have been different then. I am 99% sure about Guillen being one of the HR's, because it was such a strange event. And Baines was another. So it had to be a season where Guillen was in the 2-slot, and he was a rookie in 1985.

Yeah it wasn't Ozzie for sure at the game I was at. It must have been 1984, because it was Bryan Little who hit the other one. I can't find anyone on-line who lists them looking really quickly on google.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:33 AM)
Yeah it wasn't Ozzie for sure at the game I was at. It must have been 1984, because it was Bryan Little who hit the other one. I can't find anyone on-line who lists them looking really quickly on google.

Well hell, Guillen only hit like, what, 20 HR in his whole career? I'll see if I can find a list of those.

My dad grew up close to the park and lived his entire life between White Sox World Series championships.

I was genetically a White Sox fan even though I grew up in Rockford (which is pretty Cubs-heavy). I'm in Colorado now, but my kids are still Sox fans through and through. The Rockies are fun as a distant second, though. Coors Field is beautiful.

Anyway, my dad was blind so the two of us couldn't go to games until I was old enough to navigate us from the bus station downtown to the train to the park. My mom would drop us off at the bus station in Rockford and then we'd be on our own. Dad knew the city really well from growing up there. I'd guess I was, maybe, 9 or 10 and I'd read street and bus and train signs and, somehow, we always made it.

I remember the first glimpse of the field. It was a night game, we came up the steps from the concourse, and the lights and the green and the colors of the uniform all just took my breath away. I stopped at the top step and my dad asked what was wrong and I tried to describe it to him. He said that it was just as good listening and smelling, that he could feel the vibrations in the stadium from the crowd and from Nancy on the organ.

I don't remember the date or the opponent, but we lost. It was a moment of magic I can replay in my mind, probably 40 years later.

So many, the one I like to tell the most was a game in Milwaukee when The Brewers were an AL team. Oz had one of those games where he crushed the ball, but always right at someone. We were sitting a row back from the Sox on-deck circle in seats we got from Selig Leasing. After his third at bat, and just crushing another ball, but getting robbed by a diving center fielder, Oz comes running towards us, takes his helmet off with both hands and in one motion just flings it into the dugout and screams Fock this mother focking Game!! To which I called out, "his English is certainly getting better". Sox won with a late rally so all was well in the universe.

In Chicago, my bachelor party part 1 which included a lot of relatives, a charter bus, and results I can't even remember.

1. It's 1972 and I'm 10 years old. The White Sox are battling the Oakland A's for the division all year. The Mustache Gang is on their way to becoming famous. My parents didn't care about baseball but my best friend's dad loved the Sox and he took us to the game one night against Oakland.

Before the game, I saw Vida Blue coming over to the stands to sign autographs. I almost s*** my pants! I couldn't believe that I was looking at the guy that had won the Cy Young the year before going 24-8 with an ERA below 2! I ran down there so fast with nothing to sign but the baseball glove on my hand. And, he signed it. I played with that mitt for years after until I was the only one that could still read his signature on it. Oh yeah, and I got to see the 1972 A.L. MVP hit a home run that game. His name was Dick Allen.

2. It's August 1991 and the first year of the new stadium. I'll be turning 30 in January of 1992 but my wife is telling me to meet her in front of this hotel to pick her up before this August game because she just got tickets.

I pull in front of the hotel and there's this full size bus there with my wife standing in front of it. I look into the bus and it's full of all of our friends and it's my surprise birthday party 5 months early!

My friends had made t-shirts for everyone proclaiming "Randy's 30th Birthday celebrated August 22, 1991 because they don't have baseball in January!" My wife remembered me telling her that I always wanted my birthday party at the game when I was a kid but, ofcourse, I never could.

We drank jello shots all the way down to the stadium and by the time we got there I didn't even care how high we had to go in the upper deck to accomodate seats for 50 people. We brought the birthday cake to the game and ate it in the stands. It was an awesome night that I'll never forget!

And, yes, I'm old. 48 on Saturday.

Edited by WHITESOXRANDY

The Disco Demolition game with dad and bro. One game we went to (1973) and saw an ad in the game program for family day with my dad and 2 of my brothers photo in it. A game a few years ago while visiting Chicago that I attended with a few friends from college (UICC at the time UIC now), my dad, my older brother, and my kids. Contreras got shelled. A game in Dodger stadium also a few years ago first time my dad and kids attended a game together. Sox won but a-hole Dodger fans throwing peanuts and us and pissing me off. One game at old Comiskey when I was a kid in left field bleachers where we stood up for some exciting play and I thought it would be funny to lift my dad's seat since I was sitting behind him. He went to sit back down and smacked his back into the seat and boy was he mad. Not a bright move in hindsight .

QUOTE (Middle Buffalo @ Dec 31, 2009 -> 09:12 AM)
In 1991 when Robin Ventura hit a game winning grand slam off of Goose Gossage to beat Texas. It's the game that Frank Thomas picked Ventura up over his shoulders at home plate and the rest of the guys jumped in and pounded him on the back and helmet. It was real emotion - not the choreographed helmet throw/jump up and down together thing that every team does now.

We had a cousin visiting from England, and I don't think he was overly impressed with the game or the crowd compared to the English soccer crowds he was used to seeing. We were sitting in right field, not far from where the ball landed, and the place exploaded when it landed. That one moment definitely changed his opinion of baseball. He didn't stop talking about it the rest of his visit.

Ditto....except the foreign kid part :lolhitting

I remember going to Spring Training in the 80s with my dad at Payne Park and Ed Smith. Would always get taken out of school and off to the game. I still have some programs in my closet.

I also remember Calderon tossing every fly ball he caught into the stands as long as no one was on base.

Old Comiskey and we sit down and who is next to us? Pat Morita. This is right after the Karate Kid came out and he stands up and starts doing Wax On Wax Off. The crowd was so riled up from him being there that they put him up in the press box away from the people, but he still was doing it from there like Harry Caray.

I waited my entire life for the White Sox to win the World Series. Our family has been Sox fans for generations. My Grandfather died on August 11, 1991, the same day Wilson Alverez threw a no-no. In 2005 I was 39 years old, and I started to think I would never see the Sox get into the World Series, yet alone win one.

On October 15, 2005, I got married. We went to Paris for our honeymoon. I waited my entire life for that moment and I was in Paris. I would wake up in the middle of the night and watch CNN International to catch a score. And for some reason, they would not show the score until the game was complete. Game 3 had me going crazy, I had no idea what was happening and it seemed like an eternity before I finally got the news the Sox had won 7-5 in 14.

On October 27, (Remember I'm in Paris and they are 8 hours ahead of us) at 7:10 AM I finally received the news I waited for my entire life, The Chicago White Sox have won THE 2005 WORLD SERIES. We were CHAMPIONS. I just wish my Grandfather could have lived to see it.

We had a day trip planned for that afternoon to go to Champagne France to tour the wineries that produced Champagne. The last stop on that excursion was the Moët Chandon Winery. The maker of Don Perignon Champagne. The tour concluded in the Don Perignon champagne bar. I figured if I couldn't be at home celebrating the championship, then I will celebrate it here (and I did). I told my new bride to get comfortable, were not driving and the Sox are World Champions. I made a toast to the new world champions, and to let the torturing of the Cubs fans begin.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
Oh man, so many. My father, and the rest of my family, are Cubs fans. But once a year through childhood, my Dad would begrudgingly take me to one Sox game at Comiskey (he grew up in Englewood until around age 7, and his father was a Sox fan). I saw all sorts of amazing games in there - the infamous seat cushion game, back-to-back-to-back HR (I think it was Law-Guillen-Baines, maybe), and Gary Redus winning the game on a home run in the bottom of the 9th, when the Sox were down 4 runs or more going into the 9th. Dad was a good sport though, he didn't root against the Sox, and in some of those great moments, I caught him smiling.

Now, its my own daughter, who I took to her first game this past August. She was 9 months old, and I couldn't believe how much fun she had - didn't cry or get upset once. Just loved it. Can't wait for next year.

Game log of the redus game winning home run in the bottom of the 9th.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 09:19 AM)

You can check again if you wish, but i went into the game log for everyone of guillen's home runs and he was never apart of a back-to-back-to-back.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/...illoz01&t=b

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

You can check again if you wish, but i went into the game log for everyone of guillen's home runs and he was never apart of a back-to-back-to-back.

That really makes me think you are thinking of the game that I was at.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...198508240.shtml

QUOTE (qwerty @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 12:28 AM)

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jan 12, 2010 -> 07:33 AM)
That really makes me think you are thinking of the game that I was at.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/boxes/CH...198508240.shtml

Yeah, you are probably right. Weird, I thought for sure it was Guillen, but I must have mixed some childhood memories somehow. I can even see the HR in my head, but it must not have been the same as the back-to-back game.

2006 was another one of mine. I went to go visit an old friend who moved to Maine. It was on Labor Day weekend, and he took me to 2 White Sox vs Red Sox games at Fenway. The second game, we sat 4 rows in back of the White Sox dugout. We lost both games, but still we had a great time, and it was a great experience being and sitting there. After one game we had some time to kill, so we stopped in a bar, and it was kind of a rush as I got all the Booooooooooooooooooo's as I walked in with all my White Sox gear on. All the people were friendly and joking around with me, but what was cool was that, No One got obnoxious. PROBABLY because they won both games. Either way......it was a Great Time altogether.

Oh, I thought of another one. I wasn't a kid but I was about 35 years younger than I am now. Sunday, May 20th, 1973 the then first place White Sox hosted a double-header with the Twins. It was Bat Day. In the first game, Wilbur Wood bested ex-Cub Bill Hands as the Sox won 9 to 3. Melton and May homered. Eddie Fisher pitched game 2 but the Sox got shutout 3-0. The real story though is that on a beautiful Sunday (perfect weather) in May, 55,555 people showed up setting an all-time Chicago baseball attendance record (still held to this day). Anyway, at one point during a break in the game the PA announcer asks all the kids to hold up their bats and everyone did, it looked really cool. So the next day on the front page of the Tribune sports section there's a picture of that moment. It's a shot of the center field bleachers and I look and on the right side of the picture I see some people that were sitting just a couple of seats away from me. I pointed this out to my dad and he told me that in the actual photo I would be in the picture. He advised me to write to the Tribune and see if I could get a copy. I did and they sent me a nice black and white glossy and sure enough, there I am. I still have that photo somewhere but it's packed away and I haven't seen it in years. I gotta find it.