2010 Cubs Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
101, that's why I bring up this weekend. If they go out and sweep Cards and make up 3 games on them, they could then point to our run and decide to go for it.

Let them go for it. Maybe they'll give up some of their young talent to acquire something too. They still aren't making the playoffs this year, and it'd hurt them even more long term.

Looking at the Cubs schedule, they are lucky to only have 3 more games vs. the Pirates left. Anymore and their playoff chances would be zero, lol. Reverse that 3-9 record vs. the Bucs, and the Cubs would only be 4.5 games back and in prime position to strike.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:18 AM)
It would be difficult based on their remaining schedule, and the Reds/Cardinals having a much easier schedule. The Cubs offense is pretty dynamic now with Ramirez slugging, Soto/Castro/Colvin being underrated, and Soriano/Byrd being productive. Problem for Cubs is they have 10 days to determine if they have to unload their players. Hopefully Cards can avoid getting swept by them this weekend, and that will then result in trading Lilly, etc.

The Cardinals desperately need to add some pitching. Unfortunately, the Cubs will face Suppan and Hawkesworth in Fri/Sat games.

They'd pretty much have to go on a stretch like June for the Sox, no? I think they'd have to run 38-29 just to get to .500 (.567 ball for the remainder). The cards are clocking in for 91 wins. To match, the Cubs would need to finish 48-19 (.716 ball for the remainder).

QUOTE (Wedge @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:46 AM)
They'd pretty much have to go on a stretch like June for the Sox, no? I think they'd have to run 38-29 just to get to .500 (.567 ball for the remainder). The cards are clocking in for 91 wins. To match, the Cubs would need to finish 48-19 (.716 ball for the remainder).

lol. That doesn't happen unless they channel the spirits of 2003 Kerry Wood and Mark Prior with a side helping of 2004 Carlos Zambrano.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:28 AM)
I'm not sure there is much of a decision to be made in the next 10 days for them, the only moveable parts they have and are willing to deal are Lilly and maybe Lee it appears. The Reds and Cardinals are playing good ball too, and the Cubs are still like 10 under. I don't see how anybody can even imagine them coming close to playing 11 games better than the Cardinals and Reds in their last 68 games or whatever it is. I know you could bring up our run, but they don't have the bullpen, defense, or favorable schedule that we did/do. I'm assuming BP would have their playoff chances at less than half of 1 percent, and that's probably about right.

This is true. But they also have nowhere near the 1-5 (led by a rejuvenated Jake Peavy) that we had going. No way you go on that kinda run, I don't care what kinda offense you have, without some pretty spectacular starting pitching.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 05:47 PM)
More than likely that was Lilly's last start for the Cubs. He'll owe half of the money on his next contract to Mother Nature.

You know, I would really like to see a study done on the subject of Ted Lilly and his starts where the wind is blowing in.

His fly ball rates and his ERA sure show that he has to be getting lucky somehow.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 10:18 AM)
It would be difficult based on their remaining schedule, and the Reds/Cardinals having a much easier schedule. The Cubs offense is pretty dynamic now with Ramirez slugging, Soto/Castro/Colvin being underrated, and Soriano/Byrd being productive. Problem for Cubs is they have 10 days to determine if they have to unload their players. Hopefully Cards can avoid getting swept by them this weekend, and that will then result in trading Lilly, etc.

The Cardinals desperately need to add some pitching. Unfortunately, the Cubs will face Suppan and Hawkesworth in Fri/Sat games.

Colvin has come way back to earth after his start. He wont OPS over .800, and for a corner OF'er who doesnt get on base much, thats not very good. Soto is quietly having a ridiculous season, .400 OBP with some power to boot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Colvin has come way back to earth after his start. He wont OPS over .800, and for a corner OF'er who doesnt get on base much, thats not very good. Soto is quietly having a ridiculous season, .400 OBP with some power to boot.

That .400 OBP might be due to him batting 8th a lot. But yeah, he's having a pretty good year.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jul 21, 2010 -> 09:25 PM)
All I really care is that Aramis Ramirez stays with the Cubs, because trading him to Detroit makes a ton of sense for both the Cubs and Tigers.

Yeah, but with his contract involving NTC and options and all the money it doesn't make a bunch of sense for either team.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 22, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
Just need the Cards to win one this weekend to put the Cubs into fire sale mode. Suppan won't be a pretty game tomorrow though, especially if it's as windy as it was today.

I dont know if I want the Cubs to be in fire sale mode. I rather they think they can keep a lot of this team together and win with them one day and not get young talent in return.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 01:37 PM)
Why can't the White Sox ever get to face Jeff Suppan? This Cardinals team better trade for another starting pitcher.

Suppan is bad, but his defense is awful today.

QUOTE (Brian @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 08:02 PM)
Suppan is bad, but his defense is awful today.

Hard to defend 3 home runs though. Cardinals bats have really struggled the last two games. As long as they can just win one game this weekend, that's all I'm asking for!

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 23, 2010 -> 03:08 PM)
Hard to defend 3 home runs though. Cardinals bats have really struggled the last two games. As long as they can just win one game this weekend, that's all I'm asking for!

2 of em fine, but Sorianos came after another botched double play that would of ended the inning and now nobody wants to catch an infield pop up that allows a guy to score from 2nd. Bad

Haha, two straight leadoff homers for Colvin against the Cardinals. Dear Cardinals, please acquire some starting pitching. There's no worse 4/5 in all of baseball than Hawksworth and Suppan. I have no idea why Larussa didn't split those two up so they never have to pitch back-to-back. He's basically giving the Cubs the first two games of this series, and puts a lot of pressure on Carpenter tomorrow night.

Edited by fathom