Will KW make a move prior to Soxfest?

striker

71 members have voted

1. 1. Will KW make a move prior to Soxfest? Sign a DH, make a trade, etc. If so, predict his move.

• Yes
    • No

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
If we are trading Gavin Floyd, we better be getting back Adrian Gonzalez or Prince Fielder. I would NEVER trade Floyd for Dunn.

And either would KW so its okay :)

KW will sign a DH to a 3 million deal to round out this ballclub. BTW im loving what we have right now! :) Bring in Vladdy and were in a great shape!

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I predict that KW will not make a move before Sox fest.

Nonetheless, if I was the GM I would try to do to that rumored deal for Adrian Gonzalez. That trade involving PK to LAA would be something interesting that has at least a small possibility (although probably less than 5%) of actually being a realistic scenario. I would try a package involving Gavin Floyd as a center piece too and we could take back that horribly over paid pitcher Chris Young off SD's hands. If we landed Adrian Gonzalez and had to give up PK in the process, then I would also try to trade for Dan Uggla as our DH/backup IF.

Edited by Mattchoo

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 06:35 PM)
I predict that KW will not make a move before Sox fest.

Nonetheless, if I was the GM I would try to do to that rumored deal for Adrian Gonzalez. That trade involving PK to LAA would be something interesting that has at least a small possibility (although probably less than 5%) of actually being a realistic scenario. I would try a package involving Gavin Floyd as a center piece too and we could take back that horribly over paid pitcher Chris Young off SD's hands. If we landed Adrian Gonzalez and had to give up PK in the process, then I would also try to trade for Dan Uggla as our DH/backup IF.

-Konerko to LAA has no potential whatsoever. They have Morales at 1B, Matsui DHing, and an outfield of Rivera, Hunter, and Abreu. The White Sox will have to explore a different avenue if they are to trade for Adrian Gonzalez, and odds are very good that they won't even consider it due to the cost of it this late in the offseason with good pieces already off the market.

-Chris Young is not horribly paid. His contract entails for $6.25 mill next year and then a club option for $8.25 mill. Odds are pretty damn good the Padres are going to be looking to deal him separately at the deadline with the hope that he puts up a good and healthy first half of the season.

-Dan Uggla is going to cost waayy too much to be a backup infielder, and I don't know why you'd trade for him when you can just sign Thome or Guerrero to a similar contract without having to give up the prospects.

This isn't a video game world.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)
-Konerko to LAA has no potential whatsoever. They have Morales at 1B, Matsui DHing, and an outfield of Rivera, Hunter, and Abreu. The White Sox will have to explore a different avenue if they are to trade for Adrian Gonzalez, and odds are very good that they won't even consider it due to the cost of it this late in the offseason with good pieces already off the market.

-Chris Young is not horribly paid. His contract entails for $6.25 mill next year and then a club option for $8.25 mill. Odds are pretty damn good the Padres are going to be looking to deal him separately at the deadline with the hope that he puts up a good and healthy first half of the season.

-Dan Uggla is going to cost waayy too much to be a backup infielder, and I don't know why you'd trade for him when you can just sign Thome or Guerrero to a similar contract without having to give up the prospects.

I like my video game world :)

For some reason I thought that Chris Young was being paid closer to $10M this year. My bad. Matsui can play LF and PK would DH.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 06:42 PM)

Which reminds me: Fields, Owens, Betemit, for Halladay. Yes, the game took that trade. If only we had those 3 players still, we'd have Halladay.

Anyway if we went after Gonzalez, I'd explore every possible avenue without giving up Paulie or the rotation.

Lets look at what the Braves gave up for Teixeira: Saltalamacchia, Andrus, Beau Jones, Neftali Feliz and Matt Harrison.

To match Saltalamacchia, we could send them Flowers.

To match Andrus, we'd probably send Viciedo (as in terms of how good the prospect is, and as far as I know, the Padres don't need a SS)

To match Feliz, send Hudson.

To match Harrison and Jones, you could PTBNL Mitchell or heck, Carlos Torres and Retherford.

QUOTE (Mattchoo @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
I like my video game world :)

For some reason I thought that Chris Young was being paid closer to $10M this year. My bad. Matsui can play LF and PK would DH.

Yes, Matsui can play LF. However, that's Juan Rivera's position. Rivera makes $5.25 mill, put up an .810 OPS and 50 XBHs last year. The Angels aren't just going to bench him, especially when they already have Matthews Jr on the bench making about as much as Konerko.

DH - Matsui

1B - Morales

LF - Rivera

CF - Hunter

RF - Abreu

The Angels have absolutely no room whatsoever for Konerko, and that pipedream can be laid to rest.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 07:08 PM)
Which reminds me: Fields, Owens, Betemit, for Halladay. Yes, the game took that trade. If only we had those 3 players still, we'd have Halladay.

Anyway if we went after Gonzalez, I'd explore every possible avenue without giving up Paulie or the rotation.

Lets look at what the Braves gave up for Teixeira: Saltalamacchia, Andrus, Beau Jones, Neftali Feliz and Matt Harrison.

To match Saltalamacchia, we could send them Flowers.

To match Andrus, we'd probably send Viciedo (as in terms of how good the prospect is, and as far as I know, the Padres don't need a SS)

To match Feliz, send Hudson.

To match Harrison and Jones, you could PTBNL Mitchell or heck, Carlos Torres and Retherford.

That's fine and dandy, but then the Sox lose whatever they have built up in the last two years for one player who is likely gone following the 2011 season and could easily go into full blown rebuilding mode come 2012. I'd prefer to sign Thome or Guerrero while keeping the above prospects, and using them at a more appropriate time in a deal.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 11:38 PM)
That's fine and dandy, but then the Sox lose whatever they have built up in the last two years for one player who is likely gone following the 2011 season and could easily go into full blown rebuilding mode come 2012. I'd prefer to sign Thome or Guerrero while keeping the above prospects, and using them at a more appropriate time in a deal.

The reason I'd be fine with it, is the way we've been drafting lately gives me the idea that they could keep drafting some good prospects so by 2012 we're still in the clear.

Also, it is likely that Gonzalez would be gone after 2011, but lets say the team makes the ALCS or WS, Reinsdorf might jump the payroll up a bit.

I don't think there is much pressure to make the major trade before the season. Let's fill out the roster for now, and then look to add that bigger piece during the season. For now, I'm just really curious to see what Andruw Jones is gonna bring to the table. He could turn into cheap lightning.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)
I don't think there is much pressure to make the major trade before the season. Let's fill out the roster for now, and then look to add that bigger piece during the season. For now, I'm just really curious to see what Andruw Jones is gonna bring to the table. He could turn into cheap lightning.

I hope so too, but it's very unlikely considering he hasn't had a decent year since 2006. I agree that we don't need to make a huge trade, but we absolutely need to sign a good DH. The rest of our team (especially the pitching) is too good this year to risk on hoping that some bench players will turn into all stars in the DH slot.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jan 3, 2010 -> 11:52 PM)
The reason I'd be fine with it, is the way we've been drafting lately gives me the idea that they could keep drafting some good prospects so by 2012 we're still in the clear.

Also, it is likely that Gonzalez would be gone after 2011, but lets say the team makes the ALCS or WS, Reinsdorf might jump the payroll up a bit.

The problem I have with it is that those players won't be ready by 2012. Some might be close, but there won't be enough of them capable of putting up average production at the major league level by that point in time. Right now, Flowers, Hudson, Viciedo, Danks, and whoever else will be in line to receive playing time this year or next while (hopefully) being capable of starting and contributing well by 2011 or 2012. As such, if you make a big trade for Gonzalez, come 2012 you have a hole at C, 1B, LF, and two starting pitchers.

I'm well aware that Williams' MO is to move prospects for proven players, and I don't see that changing. I do think he has a couple of players in mind that he views as contributors to the MLB team rather than to some other team, and I think, though I don't know anything (especially with his freewill to deal minor league pitching) that two of them are Flowers and Hudson, and they are obviously high on Viciedo considering they gave him $10 mill. Now isn't the time to deal Viciedo anyways, as his value is quite low at the moment.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 12:07 AM)

I like that.

I think I'm going to start referring to Jones as "cheap lightning."

:)

I think Hudson, Viciedo, Torres and Mitchell will be traded for AGonz. The hold-up is likely that SD wants Flowers and Mitchell and we are offering Viciedo and Danks 2...KW will give in on Mitchell. PK is your DH as Kenny convinces JR to take on more payroll due to the sponsorship monies brought in by the Marketing dept (we keep hearing about "sponsorships" and "marketing dept" from KW so it must play a role in this plot). There is plenty of playing time for Guillen's boy Andruw Jones as he rotates around the OF giving guys days off. Kotsay will be the best PH in baseball and will spell AGonz/PK at 1B/DH.

This will make us serious contenders next year and we can replace Konerko's contract with AGonz's extension in 2011. By doing well in 2010, we can keep our payroll higher since AGonz will cost more than Kong's current deal. We can sign a stopgap DH in 2011 or use an in-house option depending on how 2010 went.

LF: Pierre

C: Pierzynski

RF: Quentin

1B: AGonz

DH: Konerko

2B: Beckham

CF: Rios

3B: Teahen

SS: Ramirez

RF: Danks 2

DH: Quentin

C: Flowers

QUOTE (heirdog @ Jan 4, 2010 -> 11:29 AM)
I think Hudson, Viciedo, Torres and Mitchell will be traded for AGonz. The hold-up is likely that SD wants Flowers and Mitchell and we are offering Viciedo and Danks 2...KW will give in on Mitchell. PK is your DH as Kenny convinces JR to take on more payroll due to the sponsorship monies brought in by the Marketing dept (we keep hearing about "sponsorships" and "marketing dept" from KW so it must play a role in this plot). There is plenty of playing time for Guillen's boy Andruw Jones as he rotates around the OF giving guys days off. Kotsay will be the best PH in baseball and will spell AGonz/PK at 1B/DH.

This will make us serious contenders next year and we can replace Konerko's contract with AGonz's extension in 2011. By doing well in 2010, we can keep our payroll higher since AGonz will cost more than Kong's current deal. We can sign a stopgap DH in 2011 or use an in-house option depending on how 2010 went.

C: Pierzynski

RF: Quentin

DH: Konerko

RF: Danks 2

DH: Quentin

C: Flowers

Mitchell cannot be traded before June, and I am not sure you can do a PTBNL with him either, given that protection.

I voted no but am hoping yes. In reality, I don't see anything happening until closer to spring training, and I'm not even sure that will happen. The Sox need a DH, but I think KW is taking his time here. I wonder if his time-taking may lead to a re-signing of Thome. I wouldn't be against it, but I bet there are a couple better options available right now.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Jan 8, 2010 -> 10:12 PM)
Hopefully not. He's done enough damage as it is.

LOL, I assume this was meant to be green?

One could argue that the moves he has made haven't been great. I personally think he's improved the team. But "damage"? You seriously think this is now a worse team than it was?