Daniel Cabrera sign to an MILB contract

chisoxfan09

Link: http://www.fantasysp.com/player/mlb/Daniel_Cabrera/748510

If Cabrera can learn to harness his wildness and at least control his pitches to go 6+ innings per outing then he is capable (Can develop potential) to be a good backend starter. I don´t really know what can heppen because he seems to be a headcase but worth exploring. He has sure plunked his share of opposing batters for sure and he has a horrible K/BB ratio. He kinda reminds me of a poor man´s Zambrano but I have not seen him on film lose it emotionally (Please correct me if I am wrong). I have seen some MLB highlights where his fastball has really good movement (up to 96 MPH but on average 93) and his slider or change up is nasty at times. The slider seems to go down and in on lefties with good sink. Dunno but maybe a stealthy move and he can get it together in the right environment. With an MILB contract it can´t be costing us more than the minimum 400K. Thoughts??

Scouting report (Recent) from SB Nation:

Scouting Report

Assets

* Owns a huge frame with great reach that makes him seem to tower over hitters. Owns a nasty fastball and slider, both with good movement. Can be simply dominant when he gets rolling.

Flaws

* As wild and inconsistent as they come. Sometimes totally loses the strike zone. High walk totals hurt him. Can lose focus with both hitters and base-runners.

Career Potential

* An ace-level arm but a back-of-rotation producer.

Not as promising as I had hoped because every reference to potential looks at that horrendous WHIP ratio. Must be a duplicate headcase like Zambrano but without the attitude. I mean when he loses it he really loses it. Oh well so much for some initial "Reclamation Project off the Scrap Heap" excitement. But who knows. For around 400K you can let him go as has everyone else.

Late post- is anyone on the forum aware of any recent "Pitcher Reclamation Projects" who suffered extreme wildness but were tweaked by a new coach and wound up developing some level of control??

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 06:25 AM)
Late post- is anyone on the forum aware of any recent "Pitcher Reclamation Projects" who suffered extreme wildness but were tweaked by a new coach and wound up developing some level of control??

One thought - taller pitchers develop later. Think Randy Johnson (26 before he pitched adequately, 29 before he became dominant). Jon Rauch developed into a quality reliever at 26. Ron Reed wasnt a quality reliever until 33.

Oh wait...Cabrera's already 29. Most likely a lost cause.

I wouldn't mind signing him to a minor league deal, but please, let's not talk about Coop fixing him. If anything, it should be that the AAA coaching staff has to 'fix' him, then after displaying an extended period of dominance, we have nice problem of deciding what to do. There's just no time to have Coop deal with that dufus.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 05:25 AM)

Matt Thornton

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 05:25 AM)
Scouting report (Recent) from SB Nation:

Scouting Report

Assets

* Owns a huge frame with great reach that makes him seem to tower over hitters. Owns a nasty fastball and slider, both with good movement. Can be simply dominant when he gets rolling.

Flaws

* As wild and inconsistent as they come. Sometimes totally loses the strike zone. High walk totals hurt him. Can lose focus with both hitters and base-runners.

Career Potential

* An ace-level arm but a back-of-rotation producer.

Not as promising as I had hoped because every reference to potential looks at that horrendous WHIP ratio. Must be a duplicate headcase like Zambrano but without the attitude. I mean when he loses it he really loses it. Oh well so much for some initial "Reclamation Project off the Scrap Heap" excitement. But who knows. For around 400K you can let him go as has everyone else.

Jose "wild pitch" Contreras

nice signing, only a minor league deal. Has potential to be brought up and be a 5th starter if someone gets hurt.

Wouldn´t he have better potential at long relief if he did well in Charlotte? Then I could see making a case for Coop working with but only if he is productive in AAA. Not sayin he is a bust already but pretty close.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 03:37 PM)
Wouldn´t he have better potential at long relief if he did well in Charlotte? Then I could see making a case for Coop working with but only if he is productive in AAA. Not sayin he is a bust already but pretty close.

The things that are coached at the big league squad tend to move down throughout the system, whether deliberately or through ST and people moving up and down. Floyd, for example, worked most of his stuff out in AAA in 2007.

The things that are coached at the big league squad tend to move down throughout the system, whether deliberately or through ST and people moving up and down. Floyd, for example, worked most of his stuff out in AAA in 2007.

The thing is Balta, Floyd did not have much MLB experience prior to that IIRC, but Cabrera has had 5 years to get it right. Time will tell and with only an MILB contract it is worth the gamble.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
The thing is Balta, Floyd did not have much MLB experience prior to that IIRC, but Cabrera has had 5 years to get it right. Time will tell and with only an MILB contract it is worth the gamble.

Never said it wasn't. Just sayin'...he doesn't necessarily have to be on the big league squad to be working on the same sort of program that the big league pitchers might be on.

Never said it wasn't. Just sayin'...he doesn't necessarily have to be on the big league squad to be working on the same sort of program that the big league pitchers might be on.

Sorry if I mis-interpretted your words. Do you know by chance if the Charlotte pitching coach has good fundamentals or a track record of getting the most out of his pitchers. I would tend to not think so because they have had poor ERA over the past few years.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)
Sorry if I mis-interpretted your words. Do you know by chance if the Charlotte pitching coach has good fundamentals or a track record of getting the most out of his pitchers. I would tend to not think so because they have had poor ERA over the past few years.

Charlotte's always going to have a poor ERA because they play in an excellent hitter's park.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)

Richard Dotson is an a$$hole. I never seen a pitching coach kill the confidence of a struggling pitcher as many times as I saw Dotson do it between 2005-2007. I was glad when he was gone.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)

I could see them trying to work him in as a reliever.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 17, 2010 -> 07:12 PM)
Richard Dotson is an a$$hole. I never seen a pitching coach kill the confidence of a struggling pitcher as many times as I saw Dotson do it between 2005-2007. I was glad when he was gone.

You're right there. Not in the Gary Sheffield category but he is not a pleasant person.

Well he should get plenty of time with Coop as an ST invite. I hope he does well personally and turns his career around. Long relief would be perfect for him towards the end of the season in the bigs if he does well in ST and AAA, but that's a big IF.