Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 26, 2011 -> 03:11 PM)
Well, my f***ing blockbuster is shutting down. Guess im going to have to invest in some new technology.

I have a Blockbuster mail account. They are very quick with the turnaround and have a ton of Blu Ray titles. They also are putting the Redbox type machines around town now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 03:58 AM)
I have a Blockbuster mail account. They are very quick with the turnaround and have a ton of Blu Ray titles. They also are putting the Redbox type machines around town now.

I really will miss the experience of walking into the movie store though. It's dog friendly and was a good pit stop on a night time dog walk.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 27, 2011 -> 01:09 PM)
I really will miss the experience of walking into the movie store though. It's dog friendly and was a good pit stop on a night time dog walk.

It's going to be so weird not having this opportunity with any future offspring. Some of my favorite moments as a kid were when Dad would take me to the video store and I'd be looking through the NES / Super Nintendo titles and then "discovering" old comedies... all with the smell of popcorn in the background.

Blockbuster (and other local establishments like Video Outlet, etc) were a staple of my youth, and they are all but extinct now.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)
It's going to be so weird not having this opportunity with any future offspring. Some of my favorite moments as a kid were when Dad would take me to the video store and I'd be looking through the NES / Super Nintendo titles and then "discovering" old comedies... all with the smell of popcorn in the background.

Blockbuster (and other local establishments like Video Outlet, etc) were a staple of my youth, and they are all but extinct now.

Its a strange moment in life when things that were staples in your childhood become history.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 12:16 PM)
I've only had an iphone for a couple of months. I'm thinking of getting the MLB at bat 2011 app for $15. I understand you can watch Spring Traning games for free. Does anyone have it or had it in previous years?

Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the app adheres to blackout rules. No regular season Sox games if you're in Chicagoland.

Edited by BigSqwert

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 12:18 PM)
Correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the app adheres to blackout rules. No regular season Sox games if you're in Chicagoland.

I think that's right, but to watch regular season games I believe you also have to purchase MLBtv. After Spring Training, I think the app just gives you pitch-by-pitch, gameday-type imagery.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 01:45 PM)
I think that's right, but to watch regular season games I believe you also have to purchase MLBtv. After Spring Training, I think the app just gives you pitch-by-pitch, gameday-type imagery.

You get radio for both teams, which is the key for me in getting this app every year. It's not blacked out like 670's internet stream, so if I'm not in my car or near a radio (i.e., at work) you can listen to the games.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 08:29 AM)

Going to the movie store is just plain fun IMO. People are going to watch old movies where they go to video stores and wonder what the hell these people are doing.

I guess I am going down the path of the Roku box (since Boxee failed me) and getting netflix, Hulu plus and Amazon.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 02:05 PM)
Going to the movie store is just plain fun IMO. People are going to watch old movies where they go to video stores and wonder what the hell these people are doing.

I guess I am going down the path of the Roku box (since Boxee failed me) and getting netflix, Hulu plus and Amazon.

A PS3 will let you have those, minus Amazon, but plus Vudu(which you get one HD free movie trial without going through hoola hoops and their titles are released they day they are at the stores) and mlb.tv if you use that service. Plus it's a Blu Ray player.

I know the Blockbuster you're talking about too. Seemed to be a good spot. I can't believe all these video stores are being replaced by machines.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Feb 28, 2011 -> 06:29 PM)
A PS3 will let you have those, minus Amazon, but plus Vudu(which you get one HD free movie trial without going through hoola hoops and their titles are released they day they are at the stores) and mlb.tv if you use that service. Plus it's a Blu Ray player.

I know the Blockbuster you're talking about too. Seemed to be a good spot. I can't believe all these video stores are being replaced by machines.

I have a PS3 but the Netflix content wasn't great when i tried it out.

My blockbuster was always busy, it sucks.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:45 AM)
SO the consensus is by the end of the day I am going to want to upgrade my iPad, dammit

I really dont think so. I think the major change will be the addition of cameras. The processor will probably be upgraded to 2 cores. But, my guess is you wont see anything major that will require you to upgrade.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)
I really dont think so. I think the major change will be the addition of cameras. The processor will probably be upgraded to 2 cores. But, my guess is you wont see anything major that will require you to upgrade.

Thats what im thinking. I wont upgrade until apple releases an iPad with retina dislay

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 11:56 AM)

It depends on whether he's been brainwashed by Apple already. From the looks of it, that answer is yes, so the money will be forked over mindlessly for version 2 of a product that is neither revolutionary nor needed.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 12:00 PM)
It depends on whether he's been brainwashed by Apple already. From the looks of it, that answer is yes, so the money will be forked over mindlessly for version 2 of a product that is neither revolutionary nor needed.

AH come on. I'm a traveling salesman, nothing is more convenient for me than an ipad for 90 percent of my work. You bastard.

And I hear the retina display isnt out until ipad 3.

Interesting comment during a video being shown at Apple:

MacLife says the “Tech director of Chicago Public Schools talks about how much schoolkids love the iPad. “We’re seeing gains as high as 50 percent in math and science.” [Mac Life]

Where is CPS getting money for iPads?

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 2, 2011 -> 12:17 PM)
Interesting comment during a video being shown at Apple:

Where is CPS getting money for iPads?

If you look at it as getting a deal in bulk, and thinking of the books and supplies they wouldn't have to buy, it actually makes sense. I'd love to see education move away from a books and paper format into a computer format.