Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (knightni @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 09:11 AM)
Hey Y2HH, why don't you have a Facebook page? Too many privacy issues, or the mind-numbing statuses and games?

I do have a FB page, but I don't advertise it. And I block all apps/games on it, and have my profile as locked down as possible.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 08:50 AM)
Are you a salesman, by chance? Because you sound like one. I'm not saying it's a bad thing...but engineers and salesmen don't mix well when they're trying to discuss the Internet/Cloud, etc. This discussion will go the way of oil and water.

I do consulting work and my specialty is data center automation and "cloud and virtualization." I also spent alot of time in the security and compliance forum. I honestly dont spend much time with engineers until a project has been started, and usually someone has forced them to change the way they work. I will say that I dont agree with alot of the things you say are "fail". I have worked with some extremely large companies helping them automate and virtualize their data center and build internal cloud structures that are extremely efficient and secure. It's not for every business, but I can say first hand there is some benefit both financially and performance-wise for some organizations large and small.

But you're correct in that there are alot of different opinions and not everyone agrees one way or another. Shoot, there are still fundamental disagreements on using the mainframe in the industry. Thats why I like it so much, things are very fluid.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 12:28 PM)
Why are people who all understand what the cloud is arguing about it for so long. We should be all just yelling at microsoft.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=8913084255008000794#

a clip of what goes on at Microsoft meetings. that's the CEO giving an inspirational speech.

Edited by mr_genius

QUOTE (mr_genius @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 12:54 PM)
what have you been dealing with as far as mainframe?

Theres been alot of movement in the industry to get off of the mainframe since the workforce is getting extremely old and its hard to find talent with that skillset. However I believe that the mainframe is an extremely cost effective and powerful platform if you run it the right way. There are several platforms now that allow a new person to learn the mainframe because you make it look alot like open systems instead of green screen. I've worked with many companies to both insource and update their mainframe systems so that they can rely on it for a majority of their centralized processing. I feel like the virtualization movements with distributed platforms really make all those boxes look like a giant mainframe which is exactly what those people tried to move away from in the first place.

Edited by RockRaines

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jan 30, 2011 -> 04:19 PM)
Theres been alot of movement in the industry to get off of the mainframe since the workforce is getting extremely old and its hard to find talent with that skillset. However I believe that the mainframe is an extremely cost effective and powerful platform if you run it the right way.

Indeed, they are very good at large scale parallel processing and can handle massive data flows. They are also reliable and very costly to completely replace. These legacy systems often touch many different aspects of an organizations processing. Just to rewrite all the reporting and data set capabilities of an old IBM system is expensive. Most large Banks and Insurance companies use mainframes due to the excessive data processing they need.

As far as skills set, I don't see that as an issue. I definitely wouldn't replace a system for that reason. Procedural coding can definitely be learned. The hardest thing to replace are people that know the administration aspect or the hierarchical IMS systems. A lot of US mainframe programmers don't even have a computer science degree, they just learned on the job.

There are several platforms now that allow a new person to learn the mainframe because you make it look alot like open systems instead of green screen. I've worked with many companies to both insource and update their mainframe systems so that they can rely on it for a majority of their centralized processing. I feel like the virtualization movements with distributed platforms really make all those boxes look like a giant mainframe which is exactly what those people tried to move away from in the first place.

Yea, the cloud model is pretty much like the dummy terminal / large parallel processing back-end schema. The end game in cloud, IMO, would be a system where a windows type of office computing environment ran like the old dummy terminals.

On a side note, A lot of companies are using Java on their IBM systems now as well. There are also techniques to develop GUI interfaces to be used to process batch procedures on Z/OS system. I've even seen some slick .Net into Z/OS interfaces.

Edited by mr_genius

Motoblur 2.1 (the one they use for the Defy) was too much for my phone. It's pretty sweet, for what it is, but my phone's CPU (Cliq, not a Cliq 2) just isn't fast enough to handle it. Rolling back to the old version :(

Edited by lostfan

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 1, 2011 -> 01:34 PM)
I think my wife and I might be switching from Verizon to ATT... I never thought those words would come out of my mouth.

My wife wants a smart phone and the cheapest family plan with data is $20 cheaper on ATT than it is on Verizon

What about Sprint?

AT&T wireless cell phone users, what are your thoughts on your service?

I posted on Facebook that we were thinking of switching to AT&T, I got 11 responses. Of those who actually have HAD AT&T, 4 were negative and 4 were positive. The rest of the comments were people who "heard" AT&T was bad.

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 09:58 AM)
AT&T wireless users, what are your thoughts on your service?

I posted on Facebook that we were thinking of switching to AT&T, I got 11 responses. Of those who actually have HAD AT&T, 4 were negative and 4 were positive. The rest of the comments were people who "heard" AT&T was bad.

Wireless as in a wireless phone or as in say a home network?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
AT&T wireless users, what are your thoughts on your service?

If you are in the city - AT&T blows. My wife would get 1 bar in our apt and 0 bars while at her job in lincoln park. She just switched to verizon and has 0 issues.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Feb 4, 2011 -> 08:58 AM)
AT&T wireless cell phone users, what are your thoughts on your service?

I live in the west loop and I have full bars pretty much anywhere I go including the loop. With that said, sometimes in areas where there are alot of people with cell phones, you could see a decline in service or a dropped call. Its not bad, I would say average.

The best performance from a wireless carrier I ever had in Chicago was TMobile a few years ago, their signal strength downtown was always full.

ATT has faster data speed, but a pretty s***ty network. I have the Iphone for work (ATT) and my personal phone is on sprint. Sprint blows the living daylights out of ATT from a phone network perspective. ATT dataspeeds are faster, but that does nothing if you have no signal.

I've owned Verizon in the fast and they are just too damn expensive for a company that by and large is pretty similar to Sprint. Verizon's network is a bit better but the pricing is through the roof. Verizon does have a larger selection of phones and clearly is the bigger company though.