Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 02:09 PM)
That was JoeCoolMan. Somebody said something about their girlfriend not knowing baseball and Joe just straight up said he didn't have one. Funny as hell.

Yeah, and then I would have sworn you said "I know the feeling" :(

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jun 8, 2012 -> 03:22 PM)
Yeah, and then I would have sworn you said "I know the feeling" :(

I said I can relate because I currently do not have a girlfriend.

I was not talking about my non-existent girlfriend. :)

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 08:43 AM)
Time to herd the sheep. :lolhitting

Let's just be glad this isn't pre-07' anymore...where there was only one choice for a "Smartphone OS", which wasn't very "smart". Windows Mobile 4.x, 5.x and 6.x were nearly identical in features, non-intuitive and generally just bad in design...take it from a user that used all 3, on multiple devices back in the day when I was searching for a non "feature" phone that would suffice as a portable.

Then came iOS and Android around 2007-2008, and things change drastically -- for the better -- in the smartphone industry. Microsoft finally followed up with a good release of their own in WM7 a few years later, a drastic change/rewrite from their previously terrible implementation of windows mobile.

That said, I'm happy iOS, Android and WMx exist. And it doesn't matter which you use.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:11 AM)
Let's just be glad this isn't pre-07' anymore...where there was only one choice for a "Smartphone OS", which wasn't very "smart". Windows Mobile 4.x, 5.x and 6.x were nearly identical in features, non-intuitive and generally just bad in design...take it from a user that used all 3, on multiple devices back in the day when I was searching for a non "feature" phone that would suffice as a portable.

Then came iOS and Android around 2007-2008, and things change drastically -- for the better -- in the smartphone industry. Microsoft finally followed up with a good release of their own in WM7 a few years later, a drastic change/rewrite from their previously terrible implementation of windows mobile.

That said, I'm happy iOS, Android and WMx exist. And it doesn't matter which you use.

I'm actually very anxious for Microsoft's platform to take off a bit more. Right now, apps are very limited. As soon as they start getting more apps, I might consider it. The Metro UI interface is great for phones IMO (PCs, not so much).

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 09:31 AM)
I'm actually very anxious for Microsoft's platform to take off a bit more. Right now, apps are very limited. As soon as they start getting more apps, I might consider it. The Metro UI interface is great for phones IMO (PCs, not so much).

They either need to take phone design in house like Apple, or get more 3rd party manufacturers involved...the Nokia marriage is a failure at it's inception...and they're doing nothing to push the envelope despite all the promises made.

The "new" Nokia Lumina that recently made it's big debut was already 2+ year old hardware at release...and while the "design" was sleek, the internal components were from 2010...which is just absurd for a phone that came out in 2012. Microsoft needs to levy much stricter control over the hardware if this the route they wish to take. Otherwise, they need to go out of their way to get others involved to force Nokia into using better components.

I'm actually very impressed by the WM7 OS in and of itself...but the hardware it's on is no where close to as good as the latest Android devices, let alone Apples iPhone4s which is nearly a year old now.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 01:55 AM)
iOS 6 being announced tomorrow (or later today technically)

http://gizmodo.com/5917359/ios-6-new-featu...iphone-and-ipad

I'm not that impressed. The Passbook thing looks pretty cool, but I don't know how useful it'll actually be. Most of the new features are just minor updates to previous functions. iPad 1 will not get this update.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 03:20 PM)
http://gizmodo.com/5917359/ios-6-new-featu...iphone-and-ipad

I'm not that impressed. The Passbook thing looks pretty cool, but I don't know how useful it'll actually be. Most of the new features are just minor updates to previous functions. iPad 1 will not get this update.

There is nothing to be impressed by...much like new Android updates...it's evolution of an existing product, not a dramatic revolution like Windows Mobile, which brings another entire slew of issues, like non compatibility, etc.

Some of the changes in IOS6 are pretty nice...but they're still minor tweaks/updates, not radical shifts in the way things work.

Edited by Y2HH

So, I'm looking to get an Ipad. I've been pc based, but the applications I'm looking for just aren't available on Android. I'm going to be using the Ipad for music production, web browsing, games and Netflix. Storage will be an issue because the Ipad doesn't support USB hard drives. Is there an alternative for storage? Does anybody have recommendations for which model I should be looking into? I have a limited budget and would love to get one used. Refurbished 16 GB Ipad 2's are pretty reasonable, but the lack of storage scares me. Any guidance is appreciated.

QUOTE (TaylorStSox @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:32 PM)
So, I'm looking to get an Ipad. I've been pc based, but the applications I'm looking for just aren't available on Android. I'm going to be using the Ipad for music production, web browsing, games and Netflix. Storage will be an issue because the Ipad doesn't support USB hard drives. Is there an alternative for storage? Does anybody have recommendations for which model I should be looking into? I have a limited budget and would love to get one used. Refurbished 16 GB Ipad 2's are pretty reasonable, but the lack of storage scares me. Any guidance is appreciated.

You use offload data you aren't using at that time by synching it to your PC/MAC or use Dropbox much the same way.

Storage space does mean something, so if you can get 32gigs, I'd recommend it...but 16 gigs is still quite a bit of space for a portable device, and for most things you can always offload the data onto a PC as I mentioned above to clear up space.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:46 PM)
You use offload data you aren't using at that time by synching it to your PC/MAC or use Dropbox much the same way.

Storage space does mean something, so if you can get 32gigs, I'd recommend it...but 16 gigs is still quite a bit of space for a portable device, and for most things you can always offload the data onto a PC as I mentioned above to clear up space.

Thanks for the reply. I'll have to look into Dropbox.

I don't have a dog in the PC vs. Mac debate. I don't really care. Computers are a means to an end to me. I do have to say the lack of USB support is frustrating. For example, if I'm working on a song and want to play it at a friend's house, I can't just plug into his soundcard and go. That sucks. Also, it'd be nice to use the as a hardware synth or MIDI controller. I'm sure there are wireless solutions though. I guess the issue is changing the way I work and finding alternatives.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 04:26 PM)
There is nothing to be impressed by...much like new Android updates...it's evolution of an existing product, not a dramatic revolution like Windows Mobile, which brings another entire slew of issues, like non compatibility, etc.

Some of the changes in IOS6 are pretty nice...but they're still minor tweaks/updates, not radical shifts in the way things work.

I thought Android 4.0 was a huge leap from 2.3 in terms of user interface and performance.

2.3 still felt like it wasn't good enough, I'm very satisfied with 4.0 so far.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 05:14 PM)
I thought Android 4.0 was a huge leap from 2.3 in terms of user interface and performance.

2.3 still felt like it wasn't good enough, I'm very satisfied with 4.0 so far.

If you use Cyanogen you'd have had that performance all along. The Cyanogen 4.0 is probably 50% faster than the release version, too.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 07:40 PM)
If you use Cyanogen you'd have had that performance all along. The Cyanogen 4.0 is probably 50% faster than the release version, too.

I did use CM7 and I'm using AOKP right now. It really just depends on what kernel you flash.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 12:37 AM)
Without turn by turn directions Apple's maps thing probably sucks compared to googles, and that's what they're doing to the people who don't have a 4s. Ridiculous that turn by turn is only on the 4s

Presumably you could still get Google Maps using the internet browser.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 11:37 PM)
Without turn by turn directions Apple's maps thing probably sucks compared to googles, and that's what they're doing to the people who don't have a 4s. Ridiculous that turn by turn is only on the 4s

Apple's maps in iOS6 probably won't even be available until the iPhone5 is out...that will give 2 generations support for turn by turn (4S and 5). As it is now, NO iPhone gets turn by turn with the Google maps software they currently use...so I don't see how you can possibly pretend this is a negative.

Currently, nobody gets turn by turn unless they buy a GPS specific app, such as Garmin, etc...for over 50$.

After the change, 4S and 5 users will get turn by turn via built in maps software.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 11, 2012 -> 07:55 PM)
$2000 for a laptop? O.o

Yes, with a LCD that probably costs upwards of 1500$ alone.

Do me a favor, go find me a 15.4" laptop with a 2880x1800 screen at 220ppi and let me know what it costs. Odds are nobody else even offers anything close to that resolution, and if they did...they'd also cost a lot.

If you're going to nitpick the Apple tax, which is what you're doing...use the Mac Pro as a better example, it's clearly overpriced and contains nothing you couldn't get elsewhere for less...aside from style that is, the Mac Pro really offers no real substance. Whereas, the retina display Macbook Pro offers something nobody else does...so the premium is at least temporarily justified.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jun 12, 2012 -> 06:04 AM)
Apple's maps in iOS6 probably won't even be available until the iPhone5 is out...that will give 2 generations support for turn by turn (4S and 5). As it is now, NO iPhone gets turn by turn with the Google maps software they currently use...so I don't see how you can possibly pretend this is a negative.

Currently, nobody gets turn by turn unless they buy a GPS specific app, such as Garmin, etc...for over 50$.

After the change, 4S and 5 users will get turn by turn via built in maps software.

I just find it crazy that it took this long for them to get free turn by turn. That's a feature I use very often on my phones.