Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 09:42 AM)
Speaking of which, it's a recent stock I've recommended (and invested in myself)...not because I "know" something, but because I believe the company is being overlooked and oversold. Corning's product (Gorilla Glass/Gorilla Glass 2) is in EVERY single cell phone/tablet device on the planet, and it seems nobody takes notice. They also have a lot of other products, to boot.

http://finance.yahoo.com/q?s=GLW

They're trading at 11$. They pay a 3.2% dividend, they are profitable, and trading at a P/E of just under 9. They're a buy.

Up 7.8% today after shattering expectations. =D

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 26, 2012 -> 07:54 AM)
Basically it's the Starbucks effect. It will give you a good quality cup of coffee without a second thought. It is standardized quality. It will not give you the best cup of coffee you ever had, you could outperform it quite readily if you pay some attention to the type of beans you purchase, supplier, how they're roasted, grind them freshly yourself, etc, just as you can outperform Starbucks on quality by finding a local coffee shop that knows what they're doing. If I'm living in an area, I will take the time to figure out where the good coffee place in walking distance of work is. If I'm walking through an airport, I know that I will get a decent enough cup of coffee under the Starbucks sign without having to figure out what other place to visit.

If you don't have the time or energy to put into learning how to produce that quality cup of coffee, a Keurig gets you "Close enough", and at a price level that is manageable for that type of people.

This entire post kinda swung and missed on the benefits of a Keurig. It lets you single-serve quickly brew one cup of coffee in 30-seconds (assuming water's already heated). You can also make your own cup inserts with whatever grounds you want.

I, still, however, don't want one in my house. I did just pick up the Elite for my sister and her husband, though.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Nov 27, 2012 -> 01:19 PM)
If the water's heated it takes maybe 10 seconds.

The one-cup part is the sole reason my wife wanted one. I don't drink coffee, so it'd always be a waste for her to make a whole pot.

Yup. It also makes teas and stuff too, I have a hot chocolate k cup that rules.

Anyone have a 3D TV? The wifey and I are looking to upgrade a 27 inch tv with a 40 inch (limits of our armoire) that has apps and wi-fi. Samsung had a 40 inch that will fit and it comes in both 2d and 3d versions. The 3d is like $250 bucks more and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I have a ps3 with some games that are 3d ready (the show, uncharted 3, ACIII) and I have directv which offers a few channels in 3d. I enjoy 3d movies in IMAX, and I played uncharted 3d at a friends once and it was pretty cool (on a 55 or 60 inch tv thought). Just not sure if it's worth the upcharge.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 09:35 AM)
Anyone have a 3D TV? The wifey and I are looking to upgrade a 27 inch tv with a 40 inch (limits of our armoire) that has apps and wi-fi. Samsung had a 40 inch that will fit and it comes in both 2d and 3d versions. The 3d is like $250 bucks more and I'm wondering if it would be worth it. I have a ps3 with some games that are 3d ready (the show, uncharted 3, ACIII) and I have directv which offers a few channels in 3d. I enjoy 3d movies in IMAX, and I played uncharted 3d at a friends once and it was pretty cool (on a 55 or 60 inch tv thought). Just not sure if it's worth the upcharge.

I've never used one before, but my thoughts on 3D televisions is that they will never really breakout until they figure out a way to use them without glasses. Until then, I'd have a hard time being convinced to buy one.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 09:57 AM)
I've never used one before, but my thoughts on 3D televisions is that they will never really breakout until they figure out a way to use them without glasses. Until then, I'd have a hard time being convinced to buy one.

My thoughts exactly. Just don't see it happening otherwise.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Nov 29, 2012 -> 12:45 PM)
Is 3D literally the only thing that you get improved for that $250?

Actually it's only 100 bucks more now. w00t amazon. I'm thinking 100 bucks might be worth it just to have it for s***s and giggles.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0076M04QU (non 3d)

vs.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0077QTSQM

It has a faster "clear motion rate" at 480 than the non-3d at 240. Other than that I don't see a difference.

Edited by Jenksismybitch

How do they manage it on the Nintendo 3DS?

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Dec 4, 2012 -> 07:18 PM)
If anyone has a galaxy 3 from AT&T jellybean update is finally available.

You mean the old 4.1 Jellybean. This is the problem with Android, and they need to get this fixed somehow.

It's great Samsung/AT&T are finally rolling out 4.1...but 4.2 has already been out for a few months.

This is why I know if/when I move to Android I will be forced to hack it. I'm pretty bad when it comes to software releases...if I know a newer version of something exists, I want it. Now.

QUOTE (WHarris1 @ Dec 5, 2012 -> 09:24 AM)
I know there was extensive talk about Keurig's in general but does anyone have recommendations on specific models?

I got the platinum from Costco for a few reasons:

1. It was the only model they carried

2. Costco has a lifetime return policy so see #1

3. You can choose alot of different sizes and temps and it has a large water tank

I just made a cup of Starbucks house blend which cost me roughly 40 cents. It was awesome.

3D hurts your eyes alot sooner than regular TV does. Thats why i dont think I would really ever invest. I do like going to 3D movies at times but once again about halfway through my eyes get tired and I need a break.

Google released Google Maps for iOS, which actually has turn-by-turn voice navigation now.

If you're on iOS 6, you should probably get it...

Remember all those stories where Google wouldn't give Apple turn-by-turn and Steve Jobs was super duper pissed? All it took was a PR nightmare and some competition before Google decided to give in.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 12, 2012 -> 11:13 PM)
Google released Google Maps for iOS, which actually has turn-by-turn voice navigation now.

If you're on iOS 6, you should probably get it...

Remember all those stories where Google wouldn't give Apple turn-by-turn and Steve Jobs was super duper pissed? All it took was a PR nightmare and some competition before Google decided to give in.

I'm probably going to give it a shot, Apple Maps f***ed me over once again tonight.