Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

I was thinking about getting my Dad Netflix for Christmas (Mom would use it too, just less). They aren't the most tech-savvy people, but it seems like Netflix is a pretty easy process.

Is this the way to go, or would you recommend a different route for getting TV shows/movies they'd want to watch? I don't know much about the different options out there, and would love to hear from people who have used any of them. Thanks.

QUOTE (IlliniKrush @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:47 PM)
I was thinking about getting my Dad Netflix for Christmas (Mom would use it too, just less). They aren't the most tech-savvy people, but it seems like Netflix is a pretty easy process.

Is this the way to go, or would you recommend a different route for getting TV shows/movies they'd want to watch? I don't know much about the different options out there, and would love to hear from people who have used any of them. Thanks.

Amazon prime isn't quite as user friendly imo, the apps aren't as clear. However, they both have roughly the same content but Prime gets you 2 day shipping. Either one is a really good option.

My parents use my netflix account and dont seem to have many issues.

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 17, 2013 -> 12:53 PM)
Amazon prime isn't quite as user friendly imo, the apps aren't as clear. However, they both have roughly the same content but Prime gets you 2 day shipping. Either one is a really good option.

That's not really true. Prime still has probably 10% of what Netflix has (even though Netflix isn't the greatest either). You really have to get both depending on what you want to watch. I wouldn't get just Prime if they're never going to take advantage of the 2 day shipping. Not enough content to justify the cost unless you have a few specific shows you want to catch up on (Downton Abbey, Justified, etc.)

Ended up buying my wife a laptop last night at Sams. About $830 for an ASUS N550JA-SB71T. 15.6" full HD touch screen, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, backlight keyboard, and some other standard stuff (cd/dvd drive, webcam, SD card reader, 3 USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port, etc). Pretty good price I think. I was going to get her the Acer S7-392, supposedly one of the best ultrabooks available, but couldn't really justify an extra 3 hours of battery time and maybe a pound or two for 4-500 bucks. Especially since she will probably only use it at home to surf the web and do some work on the weekends. I've been really playing up the "we don't need a laptop" card the last week or two, so she's going to be really surprised.

If my parents could figure out Netflix, you're parents can figure out Netflix. Go for it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)
That's not really true. Prime still has probably 10% of what Netflix has (even though Netflix isn't the greatest either). You really have to get both depending on what you want to watch. I wouldn't get just Prime if they're never going to take advantage of the 2 day shipping. Not enough content to justify the cost unless you have a few specific shows you want to catch up on (Downton Abbey, Justified, etc.)

The original content on Netflix is top-notch, too. House of Cards alone is worth it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Dec 18, 2013 -> 09:28 AM)

Ended up buying my wife a laptop last night at Sams. About $830 for an ASUS N550JA-SB71T. 15.6" full HD touch screen, Intel Core i7-4700MQ, 8GB Memory, 1TB Hard Drive, backlight keyboard, and some other standard stuff (cd/dvd drive, webcam, SD card reader, 3 USB 3.0 ports, an HDMI port, etc). Pretty good price I think. I was going to get her the Acer S7-392, supposedly one of the best ultrabooks available, but couldn't really justify an extra 3 hours of battery time and maybe a pound or two for 4-500 bucks. Especially since she will probably only use it at home to surf the web and do some work on the weekends. I've been really playing up the "we don't need a laptop" card the last week or two, so she's going to be really surprised.

15" laptops have become the best deals. If the only portability you're going for is from room to room in your house, I think you made a great buy.

Going smaller, thinner, lighter, longer battery life only begins to matter as your portability needs go up.

Question about ripping movies and putting them on an Android device.

One thing I love about iOS is that you can import ripped movies/TV shows into a dedicated video playback program that organizes the videos.

However, on Android, i don't see a way to do this. If I create a "Movies" folder, it shows up in the Gallery app. Is there any way to have these show up in the 'Play Movies & TV" or some other app that organizes them?

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 07:54 AM)

One thing I love about iOS is that you can import ripped movies/TV shows into a dedicated video playback program that organizes the videos.

However, on Android, i don't see a way to do this. If I create a "Movies" folder, it shows up in the Gallery app. Is there any way to have these show up in the 'Play Movies & TV" or some other app that organizes them?

Just install something like this video player and it doesn't matter where you save them on the device.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Dec 19, 2013 -> 09:54 AM)

This is one of the apps I use to organize my videos. You can even stream from your computer without having to setup much of anything.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?...mizuu&hl=en

You can also try Plex, which is $5.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:12 AM)
Seriously.

...and having to use adblock shouldn't be necessary.

It's a great video player that plays pretty much everything.

You can spend $5 to get rid of the ads if you want.