Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (chw42 @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 08:32 AM)
Its UI also hasn't been updated since the days of Android 2.x.

I guess that's something I couldn't care less about. If I'm going to pop on a 60 minute TV show to watch, I'll spend 3 seconds looking at the video player's UI.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:37 AM)
I guess that's something I couldn't care less about. If I'm going to pop on a 60 minute TV show to watch, I'll spend 3 seconds looking at the video player's UI.

It matters when you're actually in the video player. MX has gestures to change brightness, volume, etc. in the player that Mobo doesn't have.

It's a better player and the developers clearly care more about it. The ads only pop up when you stop the video, they don't actually interfere when you watch videos.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Dec 20, 2013 -> 10:44 AM)
You clearly haven't used Mobo because I've been able to do those things for quite some time.

I haven't used it in a long time.

Just tried it out again, and you're right, it does support gestures now.

One thing I did find Mobo was missing though: it doesn't play web videos from the browser. When I click a video from Chrome, I usually get a list of apps to open it with. Mobo was not on that list, but MX was.

Edited by chw42

Spent a solid 90 minutes tonight at my aunt's house with my brother trying to figure out how to get a Go Pro video we shot on to her Smart TV. We ended up sending the video wirelessly to my phone, and then tried to connect my LG phone to her LG TV through the app that goes along with it. Couldn't get it to work. Tried to find some apps on her TV, couldn't find anything good. Then we even physically connected my phone to her TV through a USB, but the TV would only recognize my images, not any videos.

After all this time I finally decided, f*** it, I was just going to upload the video to Youtube and then pull up Youtube on her TV. When I went to hit the "Share" button on my phone, I noticed one of my options was "beam", and I just clicked it, scanned and connected to the TV, and boom. Video playback. Son of a b****. Took 90 minutes and downloaded like 4 apps, and all I had to do was look at my "share" options. FFffffffffffffffffffff.

QUOTE (Whitewashed in '05 @ Dec 27, 2013 -> 12:40 AM)
Anyone have a Slingbox? Any advice?

We just finally got my parents' set up after buying a PRO-HD four years ago. Trying to get it to work became an annual Christmas tradition and it finally worked out. I can use it to stream Chicago sports to my Roku when I'm back at home, far from Chicago TV market. Had to buy a god damned 15 dollar Android app to do it though, because apparently developing a self-sufficient app for Roku was too hard.

Edited by Jake

Anybody have advice for a good receiver? I've had too many issues with my cheap Sony one and I think it's time for an upgrade. I don't need anything crazy, something midtier ($400 limit, would be nice if it was cheaper).

So far I'm looking at this guy: Yamaha Receiver

Edited by bigruss22

QUOTE (bigruss22 @ Dec 30, 2013 -> 05:09 PM)
Anybody have advice for a good receiver? I've had too many issues with my cheap Sony one and I think it's time for an upgrade. I don't need anything crazy, something midtier ($400 limit, would be nice if it was cheaper).

So far I'm looking at this guy: Yamaha Receiver

I have the previous generation version of this one.

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_158STDH740/So...ml#overview-tab

It's worked well for me, but I don't know if your experience has turned you off Sony.