Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Hmm...Microsoft Surface Pro is $500 today at Best Buy. That could possibly take the place of both laptop and tablet? Active digitizer is a must for me and it has that. Battery life is huge concern though.

That's a pretty good deal.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 09:00 AM)
While it's just personal preference, I'd go the desktop route for the screen real estate and power (not to mention cost savings, as a really high powered laptop will be quite expensive), along with extendability, such as being able to add a second graphics card. I just synch whatever I need to my ipad/iphone for "emergency" on the go purposes...it's not like editing photos/video or documents on a tablet or laptop is fun (no matter how big or small), while it can be done in a pinch, it's like using a wrench to hammer in a nail...the hammer just works better for those things.

I have a Windows 7 laptop for work, a iPad Mini Retina, and my iPhone for anything "on the go", but none of it comes close to working on my 27" iMac, which has 16 gigs of ram in it...and it's still fast as hell despite being 3 years old.

I have dual screens on the imac with around 5 TB of storage and maxxed out RAM. I think mine is 5-6 years old and it screams. My macbook air is only when I travel.

QUOTE (Jake @ Jan 31, 2014 -> 09:24 AM)
Hmm...Microsoft Surface Pro is $500 today at Best Buy. That could possibly take the place of both laptop and tablet? Active digitizer is a must for me and it has that. Battery life is huge concern though.

Keep in mind the Surface Pro 2 exists.

I kind of like the Samsung Smart PC Pro 700T. 11.6 1080P display, much better battery life than original Surface Pro at nearly 7 hours, same 3rd gen i5 processor plus 4GB RAM plus 128GB SSD. Real dock solution, Wacom digitizer with onboard S Pen storage. I can get factory refurb for about $650.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Feb 2, 2014 -> 11:01 PM)
I didn't really know which thread to put this in but here it goes...

Out of town Sox fans, MLB.TV or Extra Innings?

Where do you usually wind up sitting @ during White Sox games? I.e. you're in Texas, will you be watching most of the games at home, or do you sit on a computer/in an office late at night like some of us? Do you already stream a ton of content anyway? What quality of TV are you putting it on.

Personally I prefer the Extra Innings setup, better quality picture, easier to use overall if you're already paying for TV service. But if you stream a ton of stuff anyway or you're close to cutting the pay TV cord, or if you spend a whole lot of time away from your TV where you'd watch stuff in an office regularly, that would push the other way.

QUOTE (Knuckles @ Feb 2, 2014 -> 10:01 PM)
I didn't really know which thread to put this in but here it goes...

Out of town Sox fans, MLB.TV or Extra Innings?

MLB.TV will be able to follow you. You can use it on your phone, computer, 360/PS3/One/PS4.

If I do it this year, that's what I will be doing.

Quick question -

For the next few months, I'll be living in a place in which my wi-fi uses 802.1x authentication. This means my Roku, for instance, can't natively connect to the wi-fi. Right now, I'm using an old laptop w/ an ethernet cord to bridge my connection. Now, I want to sell that laptop...but I don't want to not have my Roku work.

It looks like a lot of the internet sharing stuff doesn't play nice with Windows 8. I've tried to use Connectify on my desktop and it doesn't work. I tried to do the ethernet stuff with my desktop and it didn't work then either. I believe W8 is the reason for this, based on my research, though I can't remember the reasoning.

Any other ideas? I don't mind paying a few bucks for some kind router-esque device. FWIW I do not have access to an ethernet port, so I need something that can connect to the wireless network to share its connection, whether its via ethernet or creating an ad hoc type of network.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 10:22 AM)
Quick question -

For the next few months, I'll be living in a place in which my wi-fi uses 802.1x authentication. This means my Roku, for instance, can't natively connect to the wi-fi. Right now, I'm using an old laptop w/ an ethernet cord to bridge my connection. Now, I want to sell that laptop...but I don't want to not have my Roku work.

It looks like a lot of the internet sharing stuff doesn't play nice with Windows 8. I've tried to use Connectify on my desktop and it doesn't work. I tried to do the ethernet stuff with my desktop and it didn't work then either. I believe W8 is the reason for this, based on my research, though I can't remember the reasoning.

Any other ideas? I don't mind paying a few bucks for some kind router-esque device. FWIW I do not have access to an ethernet port, so I need something that can connect to the wireless network to share its connection, whether its via ethernet or creating an ad hoc type of network.

Working for the government or something? Thats a strange use case.

i think you will spend more money and time trying to convert the peer to peer tech into a broader tech than you would just getting another internet or wireless pipe. Maybe invest in a MiFI from verizon?

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 10:32 AM)
Working for the government or something? Thats a strange use case.

i think you will spend more money and time trying to convert the peer to peer tech into a broader tech than you would just getting another internet or wireless pipe. Maybe invest in a MiFI from verizon?

I'm working for a college Residence Life Office, meaning I live on that campus (hey, it's free!). Campus internet uses that authentication. They also have a WPA service that requires sign-in via a browser which I haven't been able to figure out on things like Roku.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 01:42 PM)
I'm working for a college Residence Life Office, meaning I live on that campus (hey, it's free!). Campus internet uses that authentication. They also have a WPA service that requires sign-in via a browser which I haven't been able to figure out on things like Roku.

Hmm. Let me think about that one.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 07:38 AM)
Where do you usually wind up sitting @ during White Sox games? I.e. you're in Texas, will you be watching most of the games at home, or do you sit on a computer/in an office late at night like some of us? Do you already stream a ton of content anyway? What quality of TV are you putting it on.

Personally I prefer the Extra Innings setup, better quality picture, easier to use overall if you're already paying for TV service. But if you stream a ton of stuff anyway or you're close to cutting the pay TV cord, or if you spend a whole lot of time away from your TV where you'd watch stuff in an office regularly, that would push the other way.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 08:34 AM)
MLB.TV will be able to follow you. You can use it on your phone, computer, 360/PS3/One/PS4.

If I do it this year, that's what I will be doing.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 08:40 AM)
MLB.tv also on Roku

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 09:31 AM)
Apple TV as well I believe. So a lot of options there.

Thanks for your replies.. From how things are shaping up I mostly will be at home for the 7pm games. I'm gonna be watching on a fairly new Samsung LED, it already has the MLB.TV app on it. I have the internet hooked up by LAN cable, but worry about lag and being behind on games etc. MLB.TV is probably sig cheaper.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 3, 2014 -> 01:59 PM)
Hmm. Let me think about that one.

Apparently W8.1 can do this through command prompt and I apparently have hardware that supports it. I've been getting BSOD as soon as any device tries to connect to it, indicating a driver error. When I get time, I'll look into whether a tweak to that driver will remedy the issue

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 4, 2014 -> 12:54 PM)
Apparently W8.1 can do this through command prompt and I apparently have hardware that supports it. I've been getting BSOD as soon as any device tries to connect to it, indicating a driver error. When I get time, I'll look into whether a tweak to that driver will remedy the issue

Bleck, I got it to quit blue screening me but it still doesn't work.

Think I might get this: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B007PTCFF...=A2F6E975V906X0

Question for you tech guys

I had MLBTV last year and it worked fine where I was at until I visited Chicago for a week and brought my lap top. I came back to Missouri and try to use MLBTV to watch a Sox game and I was told I was blacked out. I called MLBTV up and eventually saw my IP address was going through Indiana.. They told me to unplug my router and modem but that didn't help. So they mainly gave me access and it worked for a few weeks until I went to Michigan and brought my lap top. I came back and again I was being blacked out because my IP said I was in Indiana when I was in Missouri. Called MLBTV again and they said I needed to contact my ISP. I did that and the guy said he never heard of that. He made me unplug everything and reset it and it didn't work and told me to contact MLBTV because every other IP address site said I was in Missouri so it must be MLBTV. I pretty much gave up watching the game on my lap top because it was such a pain in the ass.

Anyone know how to fix this so I don't have to deal with it this year again??

When I look up my IP through MLB it says 33603 which is Tampa, FL which is new. Last year it was Indiana.

When I use what is my IP it has me at the right city I live in.

What the heck is going on!?!

Edited by BigHurt3515

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 01:03 AM)
Question for you tech guys

I had MLBTV last year and it worked fine where I was at until I visited Chicago for a week and brought my lap top. I came back to Missouri and try to use MLBTV to watch a Sox game and I was told I was blacked out. I called MLBTV up and eventually saw my IP address was going through Indiana.. They told me to unplug my router and modem but that didn't help. So they mainly gave me access and it worked for a few weeks until I went to Michigan and brought my lap top. I came back and again I was being blacked out because my IP said I was in Indiana when I was in Missouri. Called MLBTV again and they said I needed to contact my ISP. I did that and the guy said he never heard of that. He made me unplug everything and reset it and it didn't work and told me to contact MLBTV because every other IP address site said I was in Missouri so it must be MLBTV. I pretty much gave up watching the game on my lap top because it was such a pain in the ass.

Anyone know how to fix this so I don't have to deal with it this year again??

When I look up my IP through MLB it says 33603 which is Tampa, FL which is new. Last year it was Indiana.

When I use what is my IP it has me at the right city I live in.

What the heck is going on!?!

I would contact MLBTV and then your internet provider and then MLBTV again just to make sure.

/sorry, over my head

QUOTE (BigHurt3515 @ Feb 5, 2014 -> 11:31 PM)
That is something they suggested but didn't work..

I don't understand how when I look up my IP through MLB.TV it says I am somewhere else but when I do it on other websites it says I am at the right place..

Sounds like a REMOTE caching issue on MLB's side. OR, someone stole your account and is using it out of Indiana. ;)