Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 05:53 PM)
While excessive, I don't think many Americans realize how much that is used abroad. All of my friends from Brazil still chat me with it.

Yep. A bunch of my Indian co-workers use it to chat with friends back home.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Feb 21, 2014 -> 07:18 PM)
I thought I read $20m.

I read $10B was the proposed multiple for DropBox and I crapped myself. Its a f***ing cloud. Maybe I'm a newb, but what the hell is such a difficult barrier to entry. Yes, they have market share, but how the hell are they a $10B (or even worse if it is truly valued at $20B) Company? Where is the logic. Earnings have been growing at a pretty high clip but you or I could start a company up and figure out how to do what they are providing and there are a lot of different people who have big server space out there that could jump into the cloud game to really keep them from ever having enough margins to be extremely profitable. Plus...I think even with all of their sales growth, DropBox is a $200 - $300M per year company in revenues. I can't imagine what Net Income is and EBITDA has to be significantly lower. The multiples of these tech companies are absurd and there is zero logic to them.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)
I read $10B was the proposed multiple for DropBox and I crapped myself. Its a f***ing cloud. Maybe I'm a newb, but what the hell is such a difficult barrier to entry. Yes, they have market share, but how the hell are they a $10B (or even worse if it is truly valued at $20B) Company? Where is the logic. Earnings have been growing at a pretty high clip but you or I could start a company up and figure out how to do what they are providing and there are a lot of different people who have big server space out there that could jump into the cloud game to really keep them from ever having enough margins to be extremely profitable. Plus...I think even with all of their sales growth, DropBox is a $200 - $300M per year company in revenues. I can't imagine what Net Income is and EBITDA has to be significantly lower. The multiples of these tech companies are absurd and there is zero logic to them.

Cloud software companies are very valuable, of course that's what Facebook is. Dropbox has entered the enterprise space in the last couple of years which is why they are valuable. Cloud intelligent content management is hot.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 10:24 AM)
Cloud software companies are very valuable, of course that's what Facebook is. Dropbox has entered the enterprise space in the last couple of years which is why they are valuable. Cloud intelligent content management is hot.

But of the hundreds that exist, only a few will survive what is a "cloud" bubble. Nobody wants to miss the boat on this therefore all of them are overvalued aside from the few that end up surviving and people actually continue using. As of right now the ball is in the air, and most don't care who catches it, it's so easy to move data from cloud to cloud, whether Dropbox, OneDrive or GDrive (or insert other name here) emerge as a clear winner, I don't care, I have them all and can easily move between them.

It's not a hard area to enter, as the main need is bandwidth and storage space, which are both becoming increasingly easy to come by, to the point to even attract users you have to essentially give away many gigs of free space.

The ones that win out will win big, and the others become the next ICQ.

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 08:24 AM)

There is nothing all that special with the cloud stuff as far as I'm concerned. Only way you can really differentiate yourself is through excellent security and that is primarily all handled by similar outside parties anyway from my understanding. It isn't like this companies have some sort of patent or just ingenius thing that they do that makes them worth the mega multiples. My point is nothing will prevent others from succeeding in the space and even the big tech companies from getting involved and that will keep margins down and really make it hard to turn these things into the cash cows and profitability machines that those insane multiples indicate.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 01:08 PM)
There is nothing all that special with the cloud stuff as far as I'm concerned. Only way you can really differentiate yourself is through excellent security and that is primarily all handled by similar outside parties anyway from my understanding. It isn't like this companies have some sort of patent or just ingenius thing that they do that makes them worth the mega multiples. My point is nothing will prevent others from succeeding in the space and even the big tech companies from getting involved and that will keep margins down and really make it hard to turn these things into the cash cows and profitability machines that those insane multiples indicate.

Sounds like what Siebel said about salesforce.com years ago.

They were very wrong. "Cloud stuff" is incredible over generalization.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 11:38 AM)
Sounds like what Siebel said about salesforce.com years ago.

They were very wrong. "Cloud stuff" is incredible over generalization.

Do you realize how much a $20B valuation is? I'm not saying its a bad company or anything along those lines. I'm saying that based upon its performance and upside its not even close to what it is. The tech multiples are absurdly overpriced compared to everything else on this planet. At some point...profitability doesn't support ridiculous valuations and a massive bubble implodes. This is no different then a housing bubble...tons of s*** sells at ridiculous prices, not supported, eventually appreciation goes away and people realize the shell doesn't fit/work and thus, huge crash. That said, it isn't like there aren't other multiple supporting this...those multiples are all absurd. People need to take steps back and realize a lot of what is driving this is there are some tech companies with a lot of cash and very few ways to invest it.

s***...I need to find some tech company to buy soxtalk based upon these absurd revenue multiples. I could retire before they figure out it doesn't actually make money. Afterall, my website is hosted on the "cloud".

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 09:52 AM)

I meant the what's app revenue

Dropbox is at the top of the chart in terms of reliability. They don't overextend -- they say you're going to put this s*** in a folder, and it's going to be in the cloud ASAP. It will be wherever you want Dropbox to be. Nobody is going to break into your Dropbox unless you give up your password. Afraid your password will be stolen? We have two-factor authentication for that.

Do you want that app called [all apps] to sync to Dropbox? Great! Since we were the first/best to the consumer market, every app that has a cloud option has Dropbox.

Want to share a file? Here's a secure, unsearchable link. Want a more secure method to share? We have options for that.

I use a lot of Skydrive/Onedrive since it makes it easy for me to deal with Office documents on the go (it allows me to load a temporary copy of Office on any computer since I'm an Office 365 subscriber), but I love Dropbox for pretty much everything else. I think there is a lot of money in cloud storage -- I also don't disagree that there are going to be some losers in the scramble for this business. Dropbox, though, will not be the loser. They are going to be the winner. They apparently have a very dev-friendly API and a huge userbase that makes Dropbox THE service to have if you want it to play nice with any other app/program/service.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 02:04 PM)
Do you realize how much a $20B valuation is? I'm not saying its a bad company or anything along those lines. I'm saying that based upon its performance and upside its not even close to what it is. The tech multiples are absurdly overpriced compared to everything else on this planet. At some point...profitability doesn't support ridiculous valuations and a massive bubble implodes. This is no different then a housing bubble...tons of s*** sells at ridiculous prices, not supported, eventually appreciation goes away and people realize the shell doesn't fit/work and thus, huge crash. That said, it isn't like there aren't other multiple supporting this...those multiples are all absurd. People need to take steps back and realize a lot of what is driving this is there are some tech companies with a lot of cash and very few ways to invest it.

s***...I need to find some tech company to buy soxtalk based upon these absurd revenue multiples. I could retire before they figure out it doesn't actually make money. Afterall, my website is hosted on the "cloud".

Your last paragraph pretty much proved you don't know much about the space. And that's ok. Is it an insane valuation? Maybe. But you need to learn more about their value and what it does before you make that judgement. Just having something on the internet is a laughable comparison.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 05:57 PM)
Dropbox is at the top of the chart in terms of reliability. They don't overextend -- they say you're going to put this s*** in a folder, and it's going to be in the cloud ASAP. It will be wherever you want Dropbox to be. Nobody is going to break into your Dropbox unless you give up your password. Afraid your password will be stolen? We have two-factor authentication for that.

Do you want that app called [all apps] to sync to Dropbox? Great! Since we were the first/best to the consumer market, every app that has a cloud option has Dropbox.

Want to share a file? Here's a secure, unsearchable link. Want a more secure method to share? We have options for that.

I use a lot of Skydrive/Onedrive since it makes it easy for me to deal with Office documents on the go (it allows me to load a temporary copy of Office on any computer since I'm an Office 365 subscriber), but I love Dropbox for pretty much everything else. I think there is a lot of money in cloud storage -- I also don't disagree that there are going to be some losers in the scramble for this business. Dropbox, though, will not be the loser. They are going to be the winner. They apparently have a very dev-friendly API and a huge userbase that makes Dropbox THE service to have if you want it to play nice with any other app/program/service.

Well put, and the API is fantastic. Simple token exchange and JSon return and is well documented.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 22, 2014 -> 05:04 PM)
Your last paragraph pretty much proved you don't know much about the space. And that's ok. Is it an insane valuation? Maybe. But you need to learn more about their value and what it does before you make that judgement. Just having something on the internet is a laughable comparison.

My last comment was sarcastic. You need to understand there is a difference between knocking a company and knocking the valuation of the Company. I have no issue with either company and i happen to use dropbox. I just have a problem with the absurd valuation and acquisition costs which are indicative of a gigantic bubble. That is all.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 23, 2014 -> 09:37 AM)
My last comment was sarcastic. You need to understand there is a difference between knocking a company and knocking the valuation of the Company. I have no issue with either company and i happen to use dropbox. I just have a problem with the absurd valuation and acquisition costs which are indicative of a gigantic bubble. That is all.

Yes but understanding the product and the market for owning company data is something you are ignoring. The ability for someone like DropBox or Box or even Google to own and manage all of a company's documents and IP is very valuable.

And DropBox is about to get another round of funding shortly.

I used to use dropbox all the time, mostly for picture sharing and stuff like that. Since I switched back from android to ios I cant seem to find an app that allows me to send individual pictures from my phone into my dropbox one at a time so I have more or less switched to puush and I love it. I like that you can capture anything on your cpu screen by dragging a box over what youre trying to save and then it pops up as a png file that you can either send to someone or use to post the picture on a forum. It also has a free app that allows you to send individual pics from your camera to your puush account and you can immediately view them on your computer.

QUOTE (DrunkBomber @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 02:13 PM)
I used to use dropbox all the time, mostly for picture sharing and stuff like that. Since I switched back from android to ios I cant seem to find an app that allows me to send individual pictures from my phone into my dropbox one at a time so I have more or less switched to puush and I love it. I like that you can capture anything on your cpu screen by dragging a box over what youre trying to save and then it pops up as a png file that you can either send to someone or use to post the picture on a forum. It also has a free app that allows you to send individual pics from your camera to your puush account and you can immediately view them on your computer.

The dropbox app lets you send pics from you iOS device to your dropbox...I'm not sure what you're asking about here.

It's good and they at least tried to do something about crap build materials. I'm glad they didn't add resolution as that s*** is getting out of hand and is a major battery suck. There had been a rumor that this might come in at a lower price than most flagship phones as carriers are applying pressure to OEMs to make phones affordable for non-contract purchasing (who thought we'd ever hear this? thanks T-Mobile!)

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 02:15 PM)
The dropbox app lets you send pics from you iOS device to your dropbox...I'm not sure what you're asking about here.

As I said my issue was not being able to send individual pictures one at a time. The app I had on droid added an option to pictures in my album that allowed me to send them directly to dropbox. The app I have on my iphone tries to send every picture on my phone to my dropbox and as far as I can tell doesnt have an option to send photos from my album directly to dropbox, you just open the app and it starts uploading all of your pics.

QUOTE (Jake @ Feb 24, 2014 -> 02:46 PM)
It's good and they at least tried to do something about crap build materials. I'm glad they didn't add resolution as that s*** is getting out of hand and is a major battery suck. There had been a rumor that this might come in at a lower price than most flagship phones as carriers are applying pressure to OEMs to make phones affordable for non-contract purchasing (who thought we'd ever hear this? thanks T-Mobile!)

I'm sort of disappointed that these two early flagships (HTC One and S5) are going to use the Snapdragon 800 and not the 805.

And yeah, I really didn't see the point of a 1440p display on a 5 inch display.

They did good getting rid of that awful glossy plastic, but the phone is heavier, bigger, and thicker than the S4. That's a step back IMO.

Edited by chw42