Technology catch-all thread

iamshack

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:05 PM)
3D TV is literally cool less than .001% of the time.

Agreed. I think Gravity and Avatar are the only two movies that made the upcharge worth it. The one scene from Harry Potter 5 (maybe 4?) with the sand in the ministry building was also cool. The rest? Meh.

I thought I read ESPN3D shut down too. That's a dying fad that the market wasn't really interested in.

If smart watches are going to take off they are going to have to sell me on other features than "IT TAKES CALLS TO YOUR WRIST!"

Honestly, don't hate the weather part. If they literally only gave me weather watch for less money I'd buy it.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:10 PM)
Agreed. I think Gravity and Avatar are the only two movies that made the upcharge worth it. The one scene from Harry Potter 5 (maybe 4?) with the sand in the ministry building was also cool. The rest? Meh.

I thought I read ESPN3D shut down too. That's a dying fad that the market wasn't really interested in.

Avatar is great. I also download kids cartoons in 3D for my nephews. Thats literally it. Sports in 3D sucks. It should be a feature you do not pay extra for. The glasses I got were under 20 bucks for active 3D and even that is overpaying.

QUOTE (bmags @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:11 PM)
If smart watches are going to take off they are going to have to sell me on other features than "IT TAKES CALLS TO YOUR WRIST!"

Honestly, don't hate the weather part. If they literally only gave me weather watch for less money I'd buy it.

The thing is, our phones are in our hands already. Now I have to keep it in my pocket and put a nerd watch on my wrist? No thanks.

If it was a better fitbit type device for the same price I would get it (so around $100 or so) and it provided time, weather, steps, alerts and silent alarms, and other features then it would be worth it. It doesnt need to be a conventional watch, rather a comfortable and stylish wristband.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 12:17 PM)
The thing is, our phones are in our hands already. Now I have to keep it in my pocket and put a nerd watch on my wrist? No thanks.

With phones getting progressively larger, this could solve one of the key problems - who wants to be picking up and fiddling with a 6" phone all the time? Now you don't have to. You can check notifications, scores, weather, maps, etc. on your wrist. I think it might catch on. If Pebble had been just a little more capable, I'd have one right now.

If anyone is interested in contributing to my blog - http://www.gettingthingstech.com/ - let me know. It's basically just for fun, so I'm not necessarily looking for a "staff writer" or anything that involves a great deal of commitment. I am especially interested in someone that can contribute content related to Apple products, but anyone with some enthusiasm would be welcome.

Feel free to question me about it here or via PM.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 09:55 PM)
With phones getting progressively larger, this could solve one of the key problems - who wants to be picking up and fiddling with a 6" phone all the time? Now you don't have to. You can check notifications, scores, weather, maps, etc. on your wrist. I think it might catch on. If Pebble had been just a little more capable, I'd have one right now.

Exactly. The same applied to the Gear. It was definitely a smart watch, but its exclusivity to Samsung-only phones and its lack of third party apps made it less appealing. Not to mention I wouldn't pay $300 for one.

Google's Now interface transfers well to watches. The interface is similar to what's on Google Glass.

Personally, I think a well-done Smart watch at the right price may sway me to buy one instead of Google Glass and I thought I was hell bent on buying Glass no matter what.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 18, 2014 -> 11:28 PM)
Exactly. The same applied to the Gear. It was definitely a smart watch, but its exclusivity to Samsung-only phones and its lack of third party apps made it less appealing. Not to mention I wouldn't pay $300 for one.

Google's Now interface transfers well to watches. The interface is similar to what's on Google Glass.

Personally, I think a well-done Smart watch at the right price may sway me to buy one instead of Google Glass and I thought I was hell bent on buying Glass no matter what.

The problem I see with smart watches is battery life. The last thing I need is ANOTHER device I have to charge all the time, and the more capable of the smart watches tend to have 1-2 days battery life, which is beyond abysmal for such a limited device. The Pebble is about 5 days, but it's so limited and it's screen is so suckfest that I have no interest, especially at it's over hyped price point.

Until a smartwatch has 1+ week battery life, I don't think they're very viable for much. Can't even go on a camping trip and trust it to live.

Which is why I stick with my jewelery watch. Unlimited battery life.

QUOTE (Y2HH @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 11:22 AM)
The problem I see with smart watches is battery life. The last thing I need is ANOTHER device I have to charge all the time, and the more capable of the smart watches tend to have 1-2 days battery life, which is beyond abysmal for such a limited device. The Pebble is about 5 days, but it's so limited and it's screen is so suckfest that I have no interest, especially at it's over hyped price point.

Until a smartwatch has 1+ week battery life, I don't think they're very viable for much. Can't even go on a camping trip and trust it to live.

Which is why I stick with my jewelery watch. Unlimited battery life.

The fact that my Garmin Forerunner can go 3 weeks gives me some hope. Granted, it isn't doing a whole lot when it is in standby, but maybe - the watch I have has got to be almost 10 years old by now, after all.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
Are there any tricks to get CBS on a digital antenna? We have a glorious tv at work w/ one of these, but it doesn't get CBS. Obviously this is march madness related.

You can't stream it instead?

I think you're out of luck with CBS downtown. I know for a long time getting it downtown was basically impossible.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 09:03 AM)
You can't stream it instead?

I think you're out of luck with CBS downtown. I know for a long time getting it downtown was basically impossible.

That's obviously plan B, but those streams aren't exactly all that reliable.

QUOTE (SnB @ Mar 20, 2014 -> 08:41 AM)
Are there any tricks to get CBS on a digital antenna? We have a glorious tv at work w/ one of these, but it doesn't get CBS. Obviously this is march madness related.

Not really. The frequency CBS broadcasts at makes it one of hardest channels to pick up OTA. Short of a decent-sized antenna (the one in my attic is 6'), you'll struggle to get a steady signal.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 19, 2014 -> 01:37 PM)
The fact that my Garmin Forerunner can go 3 weeks gives me some hope. Granted, it isn't doing a whole lot when it is in standby, but maybe - the watch I have has got to be almost 10 years old by now, after all.

The Moto 360 is rumored to use an OLED display, so Motorola can use its active notifications. That should help battery life. It's also rumored to have wireless charging, which I think makes a ton of sense for watches.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Mar 21, 2014 -> 11:17 AM)
The Moto 360 is rumored to use an OLED display, so Motorola can use its active notifications. That should help battery life. It's also rumored to have wireless charging, which I think makes a ton of sense for watches.

Yeah, those both make good sense. Moto X was a very clever design in terms of battery usage

Last solicitation I'll put on here - several posters in here could easily contribute to my young blog, Getting Things Tech. The "concept" so to speak is to "get" your tech in the sense that we help non-geeks understand their gadgets. On the flip side, there is also the aim to use tech as a productivity tool, to get things done.

This can take a lot of different forms and so far I've been contributing a few different things: some tutorials on things broadly and narrowly useful, app/software recommendations, distilling tech news into something that might seem more relevant to regular people, and buying guides to help people make decisions on their tech purchases. I have an interest in making a lot of privacy content, but you need not.

Blog is new and there is no commitment. Built on Wordpress, if you're familiar with that. I am in the process of monetizing, but there is no certainty I ever get my investment back, let alone be able to compensate writers, so view this as a hobbyist venture -- however, if we do generate revenue, I would eagerly spread it to the writing talent.

QUOTE (Jake @ Mar 24, 2014 -> 08:23 AM)
Last solicitation I'll put on here - several posters in here could easily contribute to my young blog, Getting Things Tech. The "concept" so to speak is to "get" your tech in the sense that we help non-geeks understand their gadgets. On the flip side, there is also the aim to use tech as a productivity tool, to get things done.

This can take a lot of different forms and so far I've been contributing a few different things: some tutorials on things broadly and narrowly useful, app/software recommendations, distilling tech news into something that might seem more relevant to regular people, and buying guides to help people make decisions on their tech purchases. I have an interest in making a lot of privacy content, but you need not.

Blog is new and there is no commitment. Built on Wordpress, if you're familiar with that. I am in the process of monetizing, but there is no certainty I ever get my investment back, let alone be able to compensate writers, so view this as a hobbyist venture -- however, if we do generate revenue, I would eagerly spread it to the writing talent.

Eh, I would, but I just don't think I have the time.