Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

QUOTE (T R U @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 01:07 PM)
Didn't Tuberville bring that Troy OC to Auburn when he was there as well? I know they tried to run a spread and it failed..

Yeah, Tony Franklin. But Auburn didn't have any of the personnel to run a spread, they just tried to put a square peg into a round hole just because others were doing it.

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I was surprised to find out that as of 2008, Iowa State brought in a greater annual football revenue than either Syracuse, Pitt or Rutgers.

Unfortunately, I don't think the Big Ten wants us quite as much.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Apr 22, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
Illinois will play Northwestern at Wrigley Field this year. Northwestern is giving up a home game to do this.

Sweet, I'm excited for this. Seeing all the old videos of the Bears playing there are cool, should be interesting. Makes sense for NW, its not like they sell out at home anyway, even with the extra Illini fans. They will probably make more money this way.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)
Sweet, I'm excited for this. Seeing all the old videos of the Bears playing there are cool, should be interesting. Makes sense for NW, its not like they sell out at home anyway, even with the extra Illini fans. They will probably make more money this way.

How?

Illinois and Northwestern's stadiums are both MUCH larger than Wrigley.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 10:24 AM)
How?

Illinois and Northwestern's stadiums are both MUCH larger than Wrigley.

Last time Illinois played in Evanston in 2008, the attendance was 32,166. I guarantee Wrigley sells out, which is already 8k more fans. Not to mention all the possible advertising, memorabilia and all that good stuff.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 11:41 AM)
Well, last year's game in Champaign drew over 60k.

But, yeah at NW they only drew 32k.

So yeah, if all they did was sell the exact same number of tickets, they'd probably come out ahead from improved marketing. Championship games are one thing, mid-season games are another.

Hell, I'm debating driving to RFK this fall because I think IU is playing a game there.

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 10:41 AM)
Well, last year's game in Champaign drew over 60k.

But, yeah at NW they only drew 32k.

That's the reason why Illinois refused to give up their own home game for it, cause it wouldn't make financial sense for them.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Apr 23, 2010 -> 10:38 AM)
Last time Illinois played in Evanston in 2008, the attendance was 32,166. I guarantee Wrigley sells out, which is already 8k more fans. Not to mention all the possible advertising, memorabilia and all that good stuff.

And they can double the prices just because of the venue.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 18, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
Yeah, Tony Franklin. But Auburn didn't have any of the personnel to run a spread, they just tried to put a square peg into a round hole just because others were doing it.

Much of the problem in Tuberville's last season at Auburn was discord amongst the assistants, most notably on offense. The existing offensive coaches, old Tuberville cronies, did not mesh with Franklin and seemed to undermine him, making an OC's job nearly impossible. There were reports from personality clashes, to the coaches getting offended when Franklin didn't want to pray with them to out and out undermining him on the field. It was not pretty.

Who are Tuberville's offensive assistants now?

QUOTE (Rex Hudler @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 07:25 PM)
Who are Tuberville's offensive assistants now?

Offense:

Neal Brown, OC, was OC at Troy

Matt Moore, OL coach from Leach's staff

Sonny Cumbie, Inside Receivers coach, former Tech QB

Tommy Mainord, Outside Receivers coach, was OC at Lamar

Chad Scott, RB coach, was RB coach at Troy

Defense:

James Willis, DC from Alabama as LB coach

Sam McElroy, DL coach was Tarleton State's head coach.

Robert Prunty DE/LB coach, was Hargrave's head coach.

Travaris Robinson, DB coach, was Southern Miss' DB coach

S&C:

Joe Walker, was assistant strength coach at Auburn

Neal Brown and James Willis should be head coaches in 2-3 years.

Edited by Palehosefan

UNC DE Robert Quinn ran a 4.38 40 today at 6'5 270. He ran a 4.51 40 last year and blew everyone's mind by besting Julius Peppers 40 time of 4.52. UNC's defense is going to be absolutely insane with 5 potential 1st round picks this year.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Apr 25, 2010 -> 08:09 PM)
Offense:

Neal Brown, OC, was OC at Troy

Matt Moore, OL coach from Leach's staff

Sonny Cumbie, Inside Receivers coach, former Tech QB

Tommy Mainord, Outside Receivers coach, was OC at Lamar

Chad Scott, RB coach, was RB coach at Troy

Defense:

James Willis, DC from Alabama as LB coach

Sam McElroy, DL coach was Tarleton State's head coach.

Robert Prunty DE/LB coach, was Hargrave's head coach.

Travaris Robinson, DB coach, was Southern Miss' DB coach

S&C:

Joe Walker, was assistant strength coach at Auburn

Neal Brown and James Willis should be head coaches in 2-3 years.

none of the old cronies from the Auburn regime. Willis was LB coach w/ Tuberville, but I never heard his name come up in anything. Tuberville could have stayed at Auburn if he would have cleared many of his assistants. He refused. In reality, he probably should have handled them during the season with Franklin and gotten rid of them at the end of the season. He didn't and that whole season crumbled. I think he could do well at TTech.

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like the Big 12 and the Pac 10 could be making an alliance soon, and eventually merge into a super conference. The conference would cover about 31% of the households in America with the Big 12 at 16% and the Pac 10 at 15%. Would seem to be a very smart move with the way the Big 10 and SEC are looking to expand.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 7, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
Looks like the Big 12 and the Pac 10 could be making an alliance soon, and eventually merge into a super conference. The conference would cover about 31% of the households in America with the Big 12 at 16% and the Pac 10 at 15%. Would seem to be a very smart move with the way the Big 10 and SEC are looking to expand.

And then, the Big 10, SEC, and ACC could merge...and then we could just call them the AFC and NFC.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 7, 2010 -> 09:22 AM)

Agreed. I'd like to preserve the Big 12 as is, and if it takes that, so be it. It'd be better than ISU falling into a MAC-like second tier conference.

Looks like the Big 10 offered Mizzou, Nebraska, ND, Rutgers, and Syracuse.

I would bet Syracuse and Rutgers will jump on the offer, and possibly Mizzou and Nebraska. It would set up a nice 10 and 10 merger for the Big 12 and Pac 10 if they chose to join forces.

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ May 10, 2010 -> 01:32 PM)
Looks like the Big 10 offered Mizzou, Nebraska, ND, Rutgers, and Syracuse.

I would bet Syracuse and Rutgers will jump on the offer, and possibly Mizzou and Nebraska. It would set up a nice 10 and 10 merger for the Big 12 and Pac 10 if they chose to join forces.

http://www.sportsbybrooks.com/report-big-1...-an-offer-28336

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ May 10, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
As a Big 10 graduate/fan Im extremely meh on these schools joining.

Syracuse brings basketball, but not sure what the others do besides bringing numbers.

While I have no love for ND, they would bring in a ton of revenue and their football program is solid.