Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (danman31 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 07:07 PM)
Mountain West more likely. Need a football conference.

Mountain West doesn't want Iowa St. because they have no baseball program.

Boise St. doesn't have a baseball program either, but they are in a different situation as they might be able to make the MWC an auto-qualifier.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=5257088

Report: Huskers, Mizzou face ultimatum

The Big 12 has drawn a line in the sand for at least two member schools.

The conference, amid a chorus of story lines that would all significantly change the face of big-league college sports, has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

The Big 12's university presidents decided on imposing the ultimatum, two highly placed officials within two of the conference schools said, according to the newspaper.

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:39 PM)

The conference, amid a chorus of story lines that would all significantly change the face of big-league college sports, has imposed a deadline of Friday for Nebraska and Missouri to state their intentions on whether they intend to bolt for the Big Ten, with the possibility of an extension for a decision by next Tuesday, The Austin American-Statesman has reported, citing two sources.

The Big 12's university presidents decided on imposing the ultimatum, two highly placed officials within two of the conference schools said, according to the newspaper.

Does the ultimatum mean anything? Could the schools just ignore it?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 04:43 PM)

I can't imagine the Big 12 would decide to expel them if they didn't respond to it.

It'd be like the Sox placing an ultimatum on, I dunno, Matt Thornton to sign a contract extension or something. What are they going to do, release him?

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)

If Nebraska and Mizzou ignored it, the 6 schools would leave for the Pac 10. Looks like both deals are pretty close to happening now.

obviously there is a million different permutations for this to all go down, but what in the hell will kansas do if the big 12 falls apart and and those 6 go west, with nebraska and mizzou to big 10

QUOTE (Athomeboy_2000 @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 02:39 PM)

That's easy.

"At this time, we have received no official invitations to join any other conference and remain committed to the Big 12. No plans are in place at this time to leave the Big 12. Any speculation on the future is just that, speculation. We value our membership in the Big 12 Conference and our relationships and rivalries with its member schools."

QUOTE (BearSox @ Jun 5, 2010 -> 12:59 AM)
Mountain West doesn't want Iowa St. because they have no baseball program.

Boise St. doesn't have a baseball program either, but they are in a different situation as they might be able to make the MWC an auto-qualifier.

Baseball has absolutely 0 to do with it. None.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Jun 4, 2010 -> 05:49 PM)
They might as well contact the Valley and get it over with.

Iowa State would be the most profitable men's basketball team in the Valley and third most profitable in the MWC.

They would have the second most profitable football team in the MWC after TCU.

Iowa State would never, ever be in the Valley, because they still pull in enough money to be attractive to a MWC or a CUSA. Of course, they're a better academic fit than most for the Big Ten, but no one cares about that. As I also posted earlier, I was surprised to find out that as of 2008, Iowa State brought in a greater annual football revenue than either Syracuse, Pitt or Rutgers.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 05:01 PM)
If you are Kansas in those scenarios its not pretty, but youd probably call the Big East, ACC and SEC.

Dont really fit geographically but if some of these expansions happen, geography wont really mean as much.

Kansas is in an interesting position, cause their football program is middle of the road at best, but they have a top 5 basketball program. Due to that, Big 10 or ACC would make the most sense, but I haven't heard them mentioned much.

QUOTE (T R U @ Jun 6, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
If the Big 10 only added Mizzou and Nebraska, wouldnt they still look to get at least one more school to get to 14?

yeah probably...it could be texas, could be notre dame, pitt, rutgers, syracuse

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jun 7, 2010 -> 10:14 AM)
yeah probably...it could be texas, could be notre dame, pitt, rutgers, syracuse

I wouldn't be surprised if the Big Ten left it set up somehow so that they'd have the ability to add one more team if Notre Dame ever decided they wanted in.

Kansas wont be in the Big 10.

Id rather the Big 10 only added Nebraska, but if they are adding Missouri as well I would guess that you see them pick up a team from the Big East (Rutgers, Syracuse). The second part may be dependent on Notre Dame.

I think Texas to the Big 10 is done, and that if the Big 12 goes down you may even see a split with OU and another school going to the SEC (thats what some people from OU are reporting.)

That post may have been unclear.

I think Texas to the Big 10 is done

This meant that Texas will not be joining the Big 10 (ie any chance of them coming is done), due to the whole having to add other Texas schools and the idea that the Pac-10 is basically going to do whatever Texas wants. There is just no way that the Big 10 will try and woo the Texas legislator, I just cant see the Big 10 doing it.

Right now I think Pac-10 expansion is going to dictate how most of this turns out.

If the Pac-10 decides to expand, there is definitely a place for Nebraska in the B 10. After that you are going to have a lot of jockeying for the next 2-4 schools. If ND starts to worry about super conferences, it may finally go to the Big 10.

Right now most press are speculating that Nebraska and Missouri have invitations, and the Big 10 is waiting on ND to see if it stops there or potentially goes further (Rutgers, Syracuse, people have even mentioned G-Tech).

I dont think either the Pac-10 or Big 10 want to make the first move, so its both sides trying to make the other blink.

Two excellent reads on this topic:

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/news...expansion060610

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2010/writ....html?eref=sihp

Sounds to me like everything is a possibility, including Texas to the Big Ten. The Big Ten is a HUGE draw to schools simply because of the groundwork Delaney set up the last 5-6 years with the BTN. Even if the Pac-10 hands Texas the keys to the conference, they still can't compete financially with what the Big Ten can promise starting the day they sign. At best the Pac-10 can offer a hope of possibly one day being able to match the kind of money the Big Ten can offer, but even assuming that's the case, Texas will have tossed away hundreds of millions in the process. Plus, it's the Pac-10. East coast and midwest TV audiences don't stay up until 11pm to watch west coast sports.

As a Big Ten fan, I'm hoping they only add 1 or 3 max. I'd love Notre Dame, just so that "tradition" can be killed for good (they'd become mediocre REAL quick), but that's why they'd never join unless they absolutely have to. I'd also love Texas, and bring along Oklahoma and A&M. That'd create by far the best football conference in the country (and wouldn't hurt the basketball conference either). Option 3 is to stick with the midwest- add Nebraska, maybe Missouri and then a Big East team like Syracuse or Rutgers to round it out.

Sadly, as an Illinois fan, all of this means nothing but more difficulty for my s***ty, s***ty football program.