Official 2010-2011 NCAA Football Thread

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Los Angeles Times' Gary Klein joined the show to talk about the penalties USC could face later today, which according to Dan, include a two-year bowl ban and a loss of over 20 scholarships.

Klein talked about how serious this could be for the Trojans. "They could have lived with a one-year bowl ban from a financial and prestige factor," Klein said. "The two years make it a lot tougher."

But Klein said that the bigger problems is the scholarships. "If it's more than 20, that sets you back a few years," Klein said. "When you lose that many scholarships, your margin for error with the players you do recruit is a lot smaller."

Klein said that he doesn't think a lot of players will transfer. "The sense I got from the players I talked to is that they saw it coming," Klein said.

Klein, however, said that he heard from recruits that current USC head coach Lane Kiffin told them the sanctions wouldn't be that bad.

Klein does think that Pete Carroll's reputation will be OK, because Trojans fans will remember the great ride.

Link

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
Well whoever grabs Kansas and K-State immediately improves their basketball quality and prestige.

In fact, I was thinking... look at the 5 remainder schools: KU, K-State, Iowa State, Missouri, Baylor. The Kansas schools and Missouri are pretty serious basketball programs, Iowa State was too until recent years, and Baylor suddenly is making some noise. If you can pull in say one or two of the stronger WAC and Conf USA Schools, you could have a pretty damn good basketball conference.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 09:53 AM)
In fact, I was thinking... look at the 5 remainder schools: KU, K-State, Iowa State, Missouri, Baylor. The Kansas schools and Missouri are pretty serious basketball programs, Iowa State was too until recent years, and Baylor suddenly is making some noise. If you can pull in say one or two of the stronger WAC and Conf USA Schools, you could have a pretty damn good basketball conference.

Or...the Big 12 grabs Utah, TCU and maybe BYU and you still have a Big 12 with continued good football and decent basketball. (That's if Colorado, Nebraska and Missouri all leave)

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)

UTEP, UNLV, Memphis, BYU, UAB.

Not a power conference but it would have 2 major players and 3 or 4 legit teams every year. Better than the SEC.

Now the other shoe is about to drop. Colorado is leaving for the Pac-10 and the Texas and Oklahoma teams will follow. Four 16 team Super Conferences is now looking like a certainty.

Big 10 adds Iowa St,Missouri,Notre Dame and Pitt

SEC adds Kansas,Kansas St,Louisville, takes Clemson from ACC

ACC adds West Virginia, South Florida, UCONN, Syracuse and Rutgers

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 11:34 AM)
Now the other shoe is about to drop. Colorado is leaving for the Pac-10 and the Texas and Oklahoma teams will follow. Four 16 team Super Conferences is now looking like a certainty.

Big 10 adds Iowa St,Missouri,Notre Dame and Pitt

SEC adds Kansas,Kansas St,Louisville, takes Clemson from ACC

ACC adds West Virginia, South Florida, UCONN, Syracuse and Rutgers

The Big 10 will not add Iowa St. They aren't even on the radar.

Fathom,

You were the first person I really saw mention GT, but now it seems to be gaining traction.

New rumors floating around are the Big 10 wanting Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers, GT and ND to fill the last 5 spots.

Every indication is that Missouri is the Big 10's last resort.

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:16 PM)
Fathom,

You were the first person I really saw mention GT, but now it seems to be gaining traction.

New rumors floating around are the Big 10 wanting Maryland, Syracuse, Rutgers, GT and ND to fill the last 5 spots.

?

They are getting Nebraska Friday, that makes 12

Adding 5 more teams makes 17.. one of those teams cant come

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 05:16 PM)
Fathom,

GT was approached two months ago by the B10 and SEC. The Atlanta market is something the B10 really wants to add to the conference. GT is also a great fit with the B10 with it's engineering curriculum. With that said, no way I see GT picking B10 over SEC. Maryland is the heavy, heavy favorite.

Football and academics are the top 2 motivating factors at the moment.

If Kansas had a scholastic reputation like Michigan, it would already have been in the Big 10. Same problem Missouri is experiencing.

The Big 10 just does not seem willing stray to far from its academic priorities.

I think I read something a while back about Rutgers possibly moving conferences (they're pretty much the only college I am interested about due to see actually seeing a couple of their games in person).

QUOTE (Soxbadger @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
Football and academics are the top 2 motivating factors at the moment.

If Kansas had a scholastic reputation like Michigan, it would already have been in the Big 10. Same problem Missouri is experiencing.

The Big 10 just does not seem willing stray to far from its academic priorities.

Good for the Big 10.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 10, 2010 -> 01:30 PM)
I think I read something a while back about Rutgers possibly moving conferences (they're pretty much the only college I am interested about due to see actually seeing a couple of their games in person).

Rutgers keeps casually getting linked to the Big Ten.

It'd make sense, I'd guess the Big Ten would love to get into the tri-state market.