Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (joeynach @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 02:54 AM)
Bruce Levine never has any breaking or inside information

He doesn't know, so he always rides the fence. Not close, but a deal could get done. So, he's right either way. If it doesn't happen he'll say that he reported the sides weren't close. If it happens he'll say, "As I reported, a deal got done."

I truly have to believe that if money wasn't number 1 to Damon and he just wanted to play where he would be happiest then he would be a Yankee right now.

I think, now, in order to save face they have to go with the best offer - which will be Detroit's.

I think the only way that he ends up in Chicago is if Detroit gets pissed at Boras's shopping their offer around and they pull it.

Maybe, that's what the Sox are hoping for.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Why are we going after Damon? Where would he fit? His defense sucks...Pierre is basically playing the position he'd play....I like Pierre, Rios, Quentin and Jones all better than Damon. What's the end game if we get Damon?

He is our DH.

Why are we going after Damon? Where would he fit? His defense sucks...Pierre is basically playing the position he'd play....I like Pierre, Rios, Quentin and Jones all better than Damon. What's the end game if we get Damon?

We need a DH...badly.

If the Sox sign Damon, that gives them a full roster of proven major league starting talent in the starting 9 and in turn, makes the bench better. Considering the improvements in starting pitching and bullpen, the team is quite the upgrade over last year's opening day cluster-cuss of question marks including Getz, Lillibridge, Wise, Anderson, Fields, Contreras, Colon, and bullpen guys like Mike MacDougal.

Pierre(LF), Rios(CF), Quentin(RF), Konerko(1B), Beckham(2B), Ramirez(SS), Teahen(3B), Pierzynski©, and Damon(DH/OF) are the core starting 9

Kotsay(DH/corner OF, 1b), Vizquel(IF/pinchrun?), Jones(OF/DH), Castro©, maybe Nix (IF) are the bench... these guys are all very better used as bench players or playing the hot hand if someone slumps or gets injured (I'm looking at Konerko, Rios, Pierre, and Quentin) than rotating into the starting 9 on an every day basis.

Buehrle, Peavy, Floyd, Danks, and Garcia are the starting 5

Jenks(closer), Thornton(7th/8th inning/LH situational), Putz(7th/8th inning/RH situational), Linebrink(middle relief), Hudson/Torres/Marquez (long reliever of some sort), and Williams (LOOGY if they don't carry Nix) are the bullpen.

There's still some things to shake out regarding the placement of bullpen pitchers, but signing Johnny Damon makes our starting 9 and bench exponentially better with less question marks about how the team is going to produce.

You think Pierre and Jones are better than Damon. Better at what, because baseball is not one of the things they are better at.

QUOTE (southsideirish71 @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 09:34 AM)
You think Pierre and Jones are better than Damon. Better at what, because baseball is not one of the things they are better at.

It appears a little confusing but it sure as sh-t gives us a DH option as opposed to by committee. I've always thought Dye would be a terrific DH on our terms however that doesn't look like it will happen. Damon has power, is a good baserunner, is a lefty, has an above average OBP. If we get him I'm sure it would be as a DH.

QUOTE (whtsoxfan @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 10:53 AM)
It appears a little confusing but it sure as sh-t gives us a DH option as opposed to by committee. I've always thought Dye would be a terrific DH on our terms however that doesn't look like it will happen. Damon has power, is a good baserunner, is a lefty, has an above average OBP. If we get him I'm sure it would be as a DH.

No offense, but if you knew this all along. Why was your last post asking why we'd make the signing, and where would he play?