Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Didn't Damon come out publicly and talk about how much he wanted to play for DET? How he thought he could help that team? I don't buy that he doesn't want to go there.

Of course, I hope I'm wrong and he's in a Sox uni in a few weeks.

Nobody was really interested in him at that point. I think that was to garner up some interest and remind everyone that Johnny Damon still existed.

QUOTE (The Ginger Kid @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:19 PM)
Well, playing the devil's advocate, wouldn't that be the point? Everyone seems so certain that it's not about the money. I thought it was always about the money.

I think they know that the market right now isn't very strong, they want to see if they can cash in next year. Beltre signed a 1 year $9 million deal just to do that. He wants to explore a better market.

Beltre was initially asking for 4 years and $40 million, he only got 1/4 of the years and money and he's fine with it.

So it's still about the money, just not about the money at this moment.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 05:27 PM)
I think they know that the market right now isn't very strong, they want to see if they can cash in next year. Beltre signed a 1 year $9 million deal just to do that. He wants to explore a better market.

Beltre was initially asking for 4 years and $40 million, he only got 1/4 of the years and money and he's fine with it.

So it's still about the money, just not about the money at this moment.

That's a good point, but I just get this feeling that Boras will squeeze blood from a stone if he can get Damon more money from DET. It could be his last contract and I don't know what kind of market is going to open up for a one-dimensional 37 y/o outfielder. If Dombrowski is smart he won't budge, at which time I bet that Damon goes to the tigers. Again, just a hunch.

That Detroit hasn't signed Damon up to this point in the last 2 weeks, with the biggest money on the table, says to me he really doesn't want to go there. That the Sox are so close with being at least $2 mill short [if Rosenthal's $4.5 mill, Sox offer with deferrals is true], says a lot.

The sox must have heard enough that if they are close to Det's offer, they feel confident they can land him.

QUOTE (Real @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 02:52 AM)
is it 4.5 million with 2 more million in deferrals, stretching that total amount to 6.5 million?

or is it 2.5 million up front with 2 more in deferrals making 4.5m total?

#WhiteSox 1-yr offer to Damon includes heavy deferrals. Present-day value in $4.5M range. Keep hearing Damon does not want #Tigers.

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/statuses/9253718394

Seems like $4.5 mill. for 2010 and more down the road

QUOTE (Real @ Feb 18, 2010 -> 02:52 AM)
is it 4.5 million with 2 more million in deferrals, stretching that total amount to 6.5 million?

or is it 2.5 million up front with 2 more in deferrals making 4.5m total?

A few pages back there's good info about that 4.5 deal that I can't really explain all that well

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)
Looks like we're gonna get him... will be a very nice signing, really think this lineup will be very productive and exciting to watch.

I still think there's somehow a 3rd team floating around that we aren't hearing about

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:25 PM)
Seriously, that would be brutal.

But man I can't see the sox commenting and opening themselves up to this...(shiiiit, torii hunter pt. II)

Yeah, but ultimately I don't mind when stuff like Torii Hunter happens. Would I like to have every good to great FA on the market for the Sox? Of course, but what I don't want is going beyond what you think a player is worth and ending up with the Cubs payroll of this year

QUOTE (SoxFan562004 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
Yeah, but ultimately I don't mind when stuff like Torii Hunter happens. Would I like to have every good to great FA on the market for the Sox? Of course, but what I don't want is going beyond what you think a player is worth and ending up with the Cubs payroll of this year

Or like the Tigers. :lolhitting

I don't know that Tampa has room for him. I have to imagine they'll go with some combination of Crawford, Upton, Jennings, Joyce, and Kapler in the outfield with Burrell at DH. And considering there is no DH in the NL, Damon would have to find room amongst Cabrera, McLouth, Schaefer, and Heyward. I'd say they are officially out of the running too.