Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
I'm thinking about running some Sox projections with Damon in the lineup. I think i'll use CHONE this time, becasue James is a bit too optimistic.

Don't worry, when Damon is inked, you bet your ass there will be a thread regarding people's views on our NEW lineup. :)

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
If the present day value is $4.5M then that means there's probably another ~$2.5M differed. $7M makes an awful lot of sense even if 36% is differed.

I don't understand the big hang-up on deferred money, especially if you're already mega-rich like Damon. If they're legally-obligated to pay you, you'll still get it.

QUOTE (striker @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:30 PM)
I like these numbers:

RISP .299BA/.377OBP

Innings 7-9 .298BA, .394OBP

High Leverage .337BA/.445OBP

Runner on 3rd, less than 2 out .391BA/.423OBP

Runner on 3rd, 2 outs .286BA/.432OBP

All things our team struggled with last year.

Well when you have A-Rod hitting behind you...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:31 PM)
I don't understand the big hang-up on deferred money, especially if you're already mega-rich like Damon. If they're legally-obligated to pay you, you'll still get it.

Yep, when you've already banked $100M in salary alone over the course of your career and god knows how much in endorsements you'd think waiting 3 years for the other ~$2.5M wouldn't be that big of a deal. It's likely that his hangup is based on principle.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
I'm gonna say it. I think we're going to get him, and i couldn't be happier. It was worth all this rotating DH s***, all my pontificating and all the b****ing, if we wind up with Damon. Come spring training, i might just give KW a hug.

They will still rotate the DH to give players time off from the field. If they get Damon it will be Damon, Pierre, TCQ, Jones and PK as the DH.

Damon fit well with the rotating DH plan. He can still play the OF and rotate through.

QUOTE (ozzfest @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:20 PM)
Per Ken Rosenthal's twitter #WhiteSox 1-yr offer to Damon includes heavy deferrals. Present-day value in $4.5M range. Keep hearing Damon does not want #Tigers.

So I assume the PV value is actually like a present value calculation , so maybe he gets 6M, but a few of the million are in deferred payments for the next 5 or something?

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:34 PM)
do you guys realize how absolutely brutal it would be at this point if all the sudden we see @prosen or whateever say "damon signs with tigers"?

Would be total 08 "CABRERA TO SOX?" moment only to find the tigers pulled it off.

Or the 08 Torii Hunter to Sox thing...

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)

Im not sure about this but there is something to be said if the deffered money is paid with our without interest. I assume if the sox pay lets say $2.5M over 5 years than damon would want that with interest so he collects extra $$ and accounts for inflation.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 05:31 PM)

Because, due to inflation, deferred money is worth less than money paid up front.

QUOTE (Sockin @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:26 PM)
Cowley says the Sox have become the frontrunners for Damon.

http://twitter.com/cst_sox/status/9253983124

My twitter response back to him (semi sarcastic of course)

Joe...you just made my day...I think I'm gonna have my parents make me lemonade and maybe, I just might move out of the basement!

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)
So I assume the PV value is actually like a present value calculation , so maybe he gets 6M, but a few of the million are in deferred payments for the next 5 or something?

Yep. Probably $4.5M salary for the 2010 season then another $2M-$2.5M over the next 3-5 seasons.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:35 PM)

Exactly. Discount the individual cash payments back to the start date of the contract to get the net present value. Not sure what percentage you would use, though.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
Because, due to inflation, deferred money is worth less than money paid up front.

There's almost always interest added to that differed money to account for inflation, I can't think of a case where that wasn't the case.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:36 PM)
Yep. Probably $4.5M salary for the 2010 season then another $2M-$2.5M over the next 3-5 seasons.

No, that wouldn't be right either, well who knows. I'm thinking more on the finance side of what a PV calculation entails.

But if you gave him 4M up front with 2M deferred over the next 5 years, the value of the entire contract in todays values might be right around 4.5M.

Who knows, either way, I could see this making a whole lot of sense.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 05:36 PM)

Doesnt it seem strange that a team like the sox; who usually are very fiscally responsible, who usually never operate in the Red, who probably have pulled a profit in each of the last several years, and who have seen their value rise significantly this decade, are having to differ a couple million bucks because of budget restraints. You would think a couple million wouldnt really be a problem at all, now 20M thats a different story.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:35 PM)
It would not even remotely compare.

Yeah, I kind of missed the fun that day and only got there once it was decided he went to DET.

That was insane, if we really could've pulled that off in 08 with the s***tttt prospects we had, lol.