Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

The casual fan is a huge portion of any fan base. They aren't paying attention constantly,a nd will not thing "this guy is just a yankee cast-off" they will think "hey the guy that was playing for all those world series teams I saw signed with the white sox!"

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
Whatever you say. I'm sure you're right. No one will have a Damon jersey. No one will have any excitement over adding this guy. Its probably why the thread for a guy the Sox don't even have yet is almost 40 pages long on a diehard board, let alone casual fans.

Its funny you mention Damon and how he wanted to stay in NY yet point to Peavy. Didn't he initially reject a trade to the White Sox. He wanted to stay with a loser.

What's with the extremes? I never said "no one". I disputed your statement that a position player is always more popular then a pitcher and that Damon would be a more popular member of the Sox than Buehrle or Peavy.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:15 PM)
What's with the extremes? I never said "no one". I disputed your statement that a position player is always more popular then a pitcher and that Damon would be a more popular member of the Sox than Buehrle or Peavy.

People will buy tickets now to see Damon they will not to see Peavy you know why don't you?

I think that is DA's point.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:09 PM)
I mean, if the Sox really want him, why wouldn't they just pony up the extra 3-4 million bucks. I mean that is nothing in the grand scheme of things if they really want him. We have to be more than 1-2 million away from Detroits offer.

Because JR knows that as soon as he does this Boras runs to the Tigers and has them up thier offer. The White Sox will be a little short of Detroit's offer at any level. You may as well make your stand at this price instead of driving it up and still being short and counting on Damon wanting to be in Chicago and not Detroit.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:22 PM)
People will buy tickets now to see Damon they will not to see Peavy you know why don't you?

I think that is DA's point.

My point is Damon plays everyday. Peavy once every 5 days. Peavy made 2 home starts for the Sox, both on fireworks night. One had about 28k in attendance, the second had 30k in attendance. The next Saturday night game had 35k attendance. The previous Saturday there was 33k in the house. There is no evidence to support what he said about Peavy. I still think Peavy is KW's greatest move but box office-wise, Damon is bigger even though Peavy is probably the more valuable performer.

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:25 AM)
Pierre

Beckham

Damon

Quentin

Konerko

Pierzynski

Rios

Teahen

Ramirez

Makes the most sense.

I would put Damon and his nice OBP at the top of the order. Pierre is more of a #9 hitter and his speed would compliment Damon's ability to hit for decent average with some power.

Damon

Beckham

Quentin

Konerko

AJ

Rios

Alexei

Teahen

Pierre

If Q could stay healthy for an entire season, that would be a pretty respectable lineup.

QUOTE (WCSox @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 02:37 PM)
I would put Damon and his nice OBP at the top of the order. Pierre is more of a #9 hitter and his speed would compliment Damon's ability to hit for decent average with some power.

Damon

Beckham

Quentin

Konerko

AJ

Rios

Alexei

Teahen

Pierre

If Q could stay healthy for an entire season, that would be a pretty respectable lineup.

Three lefties in a row?

QUOTE (knightni @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:39 AM)
Three lefties in a row?

Oops, forgot that Teahen bats left. Could flip-flop him with Alexei.

That said, my guess is that you're right about Ozzie penciling Pierre into the leadoff spot. He'll probably hit Damon 2nd and drop Beckham down in the lineup as well.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 08:46 AM)
Then his agent wouldn't be Scott Boras. You use Scott Boras as your agent when you want the most money possible, not when you have a list of cities you're not willing to go to.

Sort of. Boras gets hired because upcoming players know his name and know they won't have to worry about anything and that he'll take care of it. The thing is, it doesn't have to be just one of those things (money or city preference), it can be both of those and a number of other things that make a player hire an agent.

Or it could just be recruiting. Usually, the process is that the agent recruits the guys he wants and they make a sales pitch to the player. It's honestly kind of similar to what college coaches do when they recruit HS players. Then it just comes down to a decision by the player. It's not so much that Damon sought Boras out because he knows Boras will get him more money.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
I agree, especially for a one year deal. Damon's actually the rare player that will generate merchandise sales. Also, it's a pretty sound risk. If the team does well, he'll likely earn whatever money you give him. If we struggle, you know there will be teams out there willing to trade for him.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Im so sick of this crap, no player in mlb is going to draw fans solely on their name with the exception of Ichiro because he brings in the Japanese population. The only thing that will bring in fans otherwise is winning.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:48 PM)
Tell that to LA. They went crazy when Manny arrived.

First, Damon may help with merchandise, but you have to remember that MLB merchandise revenue is evenly distributed. It won't positively affect the Sox any more than it would any other team.

Second, there are most definitely players that will bring people to the park just because of who they are. People will buy a ticket just because guys like Pujols, Griffey (in his prime), Bonds (early 2000s), Ichiro, and Manny (though not as much as the other guys). However, Johnny Damon is not one of those guys.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:52 PM)
You don't think Damon jerseys would be a hot seller?

Like I said, it really isn't a matter of whether or not he would sell a lot of jerseys. The Sox wouldn't see the benefit anyway. Though he would sell JErseys, it wouldn't be like what someone like Pujols would do.

Could White Sox back into Damon?

February 17, 2010 1:53 PM | No Comments

By Mark Gonzales

Although a source said this morning that Detroit remained the favorite to sign free agent Johnny Damon, it's been nearly a week since the Tigers were regarded as the favorites to land the left-handed run-producing outfielder.

And since Damon has yet to sign with spring training camps starting to open, the possibility still exists that Damon could end up with the White Sox.

The Detroit News reported this afternoon that Detroit doesn't like being used by agent Scott Boras in an effort to reach the most lucrative deal for his client.

To this point, the Sox have been consistent with their financial limits. Ownership did not consent to give free agent left-handed hitter Nick Johnson the $5.575 million he received from the New York Yankees, and it appears their budget won't be very elastic in their attempts to land Damon.

As for the alleged recruitment of Damon by catcher A.J. Pierzynski and announcer Ken ''Hawk'' Harrelson, the threesome were participating Monday in a golf tournament organized by Dr. Phillips High School in Orlando, Fla., where Pierzynski, Damon and Harrelson's son Casey attended.

The source said that Damon is held in high regard by a few high-ranking members of the Tigers' organization. But according to the Detroit News, his delay in agreeing to a contract is frustrating the Tigers.

My only concern is why AJ, Damon, and Hawk share a son.

link

Edited by Steve9347