Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:52 AM)
The latest via Cowley.

What's Joe been doing for the last 15 hours? He is getting out scooped by national reporters.

Come on, Cowley! I don't hate you as much as others on here, but you are the Sox beat guy. Time to get on the ball.

QUOTE (Brian @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
What's Joe been doing for the last 15 hours? He is getting out scooped by national reporters.

Come on, Cowley! I don't hate you as much as others on here, but you are the Sox beat guy. Time to get on the ball.

He finally realized that if he didnt say something he'd get scooped by the "dopes" at Soxnet.net.

QUOTE (jphat007 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 06:09 PM)
I mean, if the Sox really want him, why wouldn't they just pony up the extra 3-4 million bucks. I mean that is nothing in the grand scheme of things if they really want him. We have to be more than 1-2 million away from Detroits offer.

I agree, especially for a one year deal. Damon's actually the rare player that will generate merchandise sales. Also, it's a pretty sound risk. If the team does well, he'll likely earn whatever money you give him. If we struggle, you know there will be teams out there willing to trade for him.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
I agree, especially for a one year deal. Damon's actually the rare player that will generate merchandise sales. Also, it's a pretty sound risk. If the team does well, he'll likely earn whatever money you give him. If we struggle, you know there will be teams out there willing to trade for him.

Except for maybe Beckham, Damon would sell as many tickets as any White Sox player.

QUOTE (flavum @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:19 PM)
It's definitely gotten to the point that if it doesn't happen, it'll be disappointing. If they didn't even try, nobody would care that much. Now the pressure is on to close the deal. Hope it happens.

Thats BS. I cannot even count how many times people put up a "[----] was available and KW didnt even try to sign him!" thread. Damon signing with the Tigers or even the Braves would have annoyed people to no end if KW didnt get involved

IF it happens, (big if) what is your lineup?

Damon DH

Beckham 2b

Quentin RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen 3b

Ramirez SS

Pierre LF

Not bad, but there are those 3 righties in a row in the middle....but im ok with that

my guess is that ozzie would still have pierre lead off and put damon in the middle of the order to break up the righties

Edited by daa84

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Thats BS. I cannot even count how many times people put up a "[----] was available and KW didnt even try to sign him!" thread. Damon signing with the Tigers or even the Braves would have annoyed people to no end if KW didnt get involved

I think most of the Sox fanbase didn't really even consider Damon a possibility because Scott Boras is his agent.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)
Except for maybe Beckham, Damon would sell as many tickets as any White Sox player.

That would be Peavy not Damon. You'll see #44 jerseys everywhere this summer. Jake is a much more appealing, intense leader than Caveman Jim Morrison would ever be here.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)

Damon DH

Beckham 2b

Quentin RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen 3b

Ramirez SS

Pierre LF

Not bad, but there are those 3 righties in a row in the middle....but im ok with that

my guess is that ozzie would still have pierre lead off and put damon in the middle of the order to break up the righties

My lineup would be:

Pierre

Damon

Beckham

Quentin

Konerko

Pierzynski

Rios

Teahen

Ramirez

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:12 PM)
I've been scooped that there is "alot of running around" being done in the Sox front office. They are either working on an offer, or tweaking an existing.

Not suprised. The fact that JR got involved says that offer has been adjusted. I'm guessing a vesting option or extended deferrment.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:24 PM)

Damon DH

Beckham 2b

Quentin RF

Konerko 1b

AJ C

Rios CF

Teahen 3b

Ramirez SS

Pierre LF

That is, of course, the perfect lineup given the personnel but you and I both know it would never happen. I actually like Pierre as the #9 hitter and left fielder.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:22 PM)

Im so sick of this crap, no player in mlb is going to draw fans solely on their name with the exception of Ichiro because he brings in the Japanese population. The only thing that will bring in fans otherwise is winning.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:43 AM)
Im so sick of this crap, no player in mlb is going to draw fans solely on their name with the exception of Ichiro because he brings in the Japanese population. The only thing that will bring in fans otherwise is winning.

Tell that to LA. They went crazy when Manny arrived.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)

Believe what you will, but casual fans count and there will be a bump in ticket sales if Damon signs. Much more than a Juan Pierre trade or Alex Rios pick up.......

FWIW, Hawk has confirmed the golf story. He apparently would love the Sox to add Damon.

Edited by Dick Allen

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:13 PM)
So you're more optimistic today than you were yesterday?

I was more confident earlier in the offseason when I reported they were talking to Boras on here and in PM's to some folks. I think that Damon could have taken Pierre's place on the roster at that point.

There is probably at least a 50% chance we get him which is a tick up from what I thought a few days ago however.