Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:43 PM)
Im so sick of this crap, no player in mlb is going to draw fans solely on their name with the exception of Ichiro because he brings in the Japanese population. The only thing that will bring in fans otherwise is winning.

I've actually driven up to Milwaukee 4 times over the past 3 years just to see Albert Pujols and I was at Wrigley last May watching Tim Lincecum take down the Cubs, normally I wouldn't step foot in that place but I had to see Tim Lincecum in person. Johnny Damon on the other hand? Not so much.

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:34 PM)
That would be Peavy not Damon. You'll see #44 jerseys everywhere this summer. Jake is a much more appealing, intense leader than Caveman Jim Morrison would ever be here.

Guys that hit the field once every 5 days aren't as appealing to the casual fan as guys who have been in the spotlight the past 7 or 8 years. Damon has box office appeal.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
Im so sick of this crap, no player in mlb is going to draw fans solely on their name with the exception of Ichiro because he brings in the Japanese population. The only thing that will bring in fans otherwise is winning.

You don't think Damon jerseys would be a hot seller?

This signing would sell so many newly printed up jerseys. Remember that they're a brand new jersey option, which is key. This coming year, you cant sell a Beckham jersey to a diehard fan that already has one. You can sell that person a Damon jersey.

Kind of how Derrick Rose is amongst the NBA leaders in jersey sales this last year. He's starting to trump the Wades etc because everyone has that one already.

Gotta do it, even from monetary perspective. It's worth a premium price

Edited by Princess Dye

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:51 PM)
Guys that hit the field once every 5 days aren't as appealing to the casual fan as guys who have been in the spotlight the past 7 or 8 years. Damon has box office appeal.

There is no chance Damon could or would ever be more popular as a Sox player than Buehrle. As I said, he won't even be as popular as Peavy.

Jake and Beckham are the future for Sox fans. Damon is seen as a mercenary Yankees cast-off. Everyone knows he wanted to stay in NY.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 10:51 AM)

Chicks love him too. He's a huge star and would fit in tremendously in Chicago for a year. Who knows what he has left in the tank and this move could blow up in our face, but I'd be hella pumped if we signed him.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
There is no chance Damon could or would ever be more popular as a Sox player than Buehrle. As I said, he won't even be as popular as Peavy.

Jake and Beckham are the future for Sox fans. Damon is seen as a mercenary Yankees cast-off. Everyone knows he wanted to stay in NY.

Whatever you say. I'm sure you're right. No one will have a Damon jersey. No one will have any excitement over adding this guy. Its probably why the thread for a guy the Sox don't even have yet is almost 40 pages long on a diehard board, let alone casual fans.

Its funny you mention Damon and how he wanted to stay in NY yet point to Peavy. Didn't he initially reject a trade to the White Sox. He wanted to stay with a loser.

QUOTE (ChiSox_Sonix @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:00 PM)
With Damon it would probably mean goodbye to Nix and thus Vizquel would be our only backup at 3 IF positions. For that reason alone he would probably never DH.

It would probably be good bye to the 12th pitcher, unless the Sox make a trade, which is extremely possible.

QUOTE (bmags @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)
any player that has been slurped up by ESPN for the past 6 years is going to be exciting for a fan base. Peavy has no where near the name recognition that Johnny Damon has.

Damon having a greater name recognition would apply more to a national baseball fan contingent. The Sox fanbase is discriminating. That is the context in which I'm working here.

If Damon signs, I think the Sox fanbase would accept him but they aren't going to embrace him like Buehrle or Peavy, IMO.

QUOTE (bucket-of-suck @ Feb 17, 2010 -> 01:06 PM)
Damon having a greater name recognition would apply more to a national baseball fan contingent. The Sox fanbase is discriminating. That is the context in which I'm working here.

If Damon signs, I think the Sox fanbase would accept him but they aren't going to embrace him like Buehrle or Peavy, IMO.

Maybe not Buerhle, but Peavy for sure.