Tigers Sign Damon - 1 yr, 8 mil; NTC

chetkincaid

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:10 PM)
Boras has no morals whatsoever, the guy's like the African warlord of agents. This thing has been so damn messy that nobody's right anymore. None of us know anything.

And GM's are in the dark as well. They don't know what offers are out there, and they do wind up "bidding against themselves" sometimes. Boras exploits that to the extreme, where he plants false "deals" and "offers" and no one knows what to believe.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 03:43 PM)
"ESPN.com's Buster Olney hears that Scott Boras wants two things from the Tigers. First, he's asking them to remove all deferred money from the one-year $7MM deal they have offered. Second, he wants the Tigers to add a second year (Twitter links)."

Boras is out of his mind.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 03:47 PM)
I hope Kenny has a secret plan and that he thinks this will kind of force Damon's hand.

That would be great playing Boras like that, I hope your right but doubt it very much. It would be better if AJ walked over with a cocktail and said what the hell is your agent doing? We had this thing all worked out!

Ugh. My sister-in-law went to the same law school as Boras, apparently the Cubs paid for his education since he suffered a career ending injury in their farm system.

Darn Cubs.

If I'm Kenny, I go to the Padres and get a deal done for AGon now. Going into the season with this big a hole is idiocy.

Well, I'm hugely disappointed in the DH situation.

That said, if KW really did keep ratcheting up, to like $6M, and Boras kept playing him... its hard to be that pissed about him walking away.

Also, I would not be surprised, knowing KW's style, if he immediately hit the phones to make some other deal that none of us had even considered.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
If I'm Kenny, I go to the Padres and get a deal done for AGon now. Going into the season with this big a hole is idiocy.

Going into the season with literally no valuable prospects and no payroll flexibility is even dumber. I love AGon, but I just don't see him as a fit for this organization over the next 5 years due to his impending huge contract.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 05:24 PM)
Going into the season with literally no valuable prospects and no payroll flexibility is even dumber. I love AGon, but I just don't see him as a fit for this organization over the next 5 years due to his impending huge contract.

You really don't see one of the best 1b's in all of baseball fitting into this organization?

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 10:25 PM)
You really don't see one of the best 1b's in all of baseball fitting into this organization?

Not for what it would cost to get him, and then the impact that his possible 17-20 million dollar a year extension would have on bringing keeping the core here during their peak years (Floyd, Danks, Quentin, Beckham, Ramirez, Rios)

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)

Konerko and AJ are both off the books next year. That is $18 million right there that can be used towards an AGon extension.

Edited by GreatScott82

Also, as the latest Damon stuff is showing, having valuable prospects is so important for our organization because KW, etc. just don't get into negotiation wars for players. Never have, seemingly never will. The only way we bring in marquee players, besides via the draft, is via trades (or our Cuban connection).

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Ugh. My sister-in-law went to the same law school as Boras, apparently the Cubs paid for his education since he suffered a career ending injury in their farm system.

Darn Cubs.

The Cubs are to blame for everything, it's official.

I bet we all wish that Boras failed all his classes in that law school now. Baseball would be so much better without him.

Edited by chw42

QUOTE (quickman @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
That would be great playing Boras like that, I hope your right but doubt it very much. It would be better if AJ walked over with a cocktail and said what the hell is your agent doing? We had this thing all worked out!

It's also a reflection of Damon, though. He has to know Boras is pissing on the legs of the only 2 organizations left wanting him. He's got to man up and say "Let's get this soap opera over and strike a deal". Boras is now acting like it's the Tigers and sox fault Damon didn't get his $10+ mill. deal and Damon is a party to it.

QUOTE (beck72 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 11:30 PM)
It's also a reflection of Damon, though. He has to know Boras is pissing on the legs of the only 2 organizations left wanting him. He's got to man up and say "Let's get this soap opera over and strike a deal". Boras is now acting like it's the Tigers and sox fault Damon didn't get his $10+ mill. deal and Damon is a party to it.

I'll say this if we sign him or if we don't, but Damon is a piece of crap. I've heard a lot of stories about him outside of baseball, and he deserves to have Boras representing him and his image.

^^^ Word is that the caveman image is more than just his looks.

QUOTE (GreatScott82 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
Im dissappointed, but if anything it leaves the door open for a midseason blockbuster. A-Gon, Crawford are 2 HUGE names expected to be available come the trade deadline.

With how bad this offense is looking to be, it's unlikely that the Sox will be in a position to make a marquee trade. I'd rather not wait until midseason to fix a hole that's been apparent since the get go.

Edited by chunk23

QUOTE (chw42 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
The Cubs are to blame for everything, it's official.

I bet we all wish that Boras failed all his classes in that law school now. Baseball would be so much better without him.

Ugh, apparently, he is somewhat worshiped there.

My sister-in-law, like any good Sox fan, hates it.

QUOTE (fathom @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)

seriously? The guy is a force from the left side and solves your replacement for konerko for the next 5-10 years. Konerko comes off the books next year as well as others.

QUOTE (chunk23 @ Feb 19, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
With how bad this offense is looking to be, it's unlikely that the Sox will be in a position to make a marquee trade. I'd rather not wait until midseason to fix a hole that's been apparent since the get go.

One thing that worries me about going into the season with a huge hole at DH is the likelihood that Alexei gets out of the gate looking awful again.