Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah me either. I heard that earlier today but didn't have a source so I didn't mention it.

Also, LOL at people who I was arguing with earlier today talking about a time when they hurt their knee in H.S. football or playing softball or whatever and trying to claim with a straight face that it's the same, and they are doing something Cutler couldn't or wouldn't do. I kinda doubt any of them had to play against Clay Matthews.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 06:28 PM)
Yeah me either. I heard that earlier today but didn't have a source so I didn't mention it.

Also, LOL at people who I was arguing with earlier today talking about a time when they hurt their knee in H.S. football or playing softball or whatever and trying to claim with a straight face that it's the same, and they are doing something Cutler couldn't or wouldn't do. I kinda doubt any of them had to play against Clay Matthews.

Hah, I honestly think I sprained my MCL saturday playing football with the guys from work, and I was talking about it with them prior to the game yesterday. But I wasn't going to compare myself to Jay Cutler today in the thread. :)

QUOTE (fathom @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 07:30 PM)
Wouldn't that be good news for the Bears if Harris retired, as they'd save money out of the deal?

Sorta, yeah, I believe he's gotten most of his bonus money already and his cap hit wouldn't be that big.

QUOTE (dasox24 @ Jan 27, 2011 -> 07:40 PM)
Surprised this came so late. Their season has been over for weeks... Apparently their OL coach is the top internal candidate.

I'm shocked about this too...because all the teams where Fisher is a likely landing spot (Dallas) have landed a guy already.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 09:21 AM)
Study finds rampant painkiller abuse among former and current NFL players.

Troy Aikman was also on the episode of Real Sports last night, and he was talking about how he really thinks the long-term viability of the NFL is coming into question, and he was very concerned about it.

There are a whole lot of health issues that are really, really scary if you're an NFL executive right now.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 11:34 AM)
Troy Aikman was also on the episode of Real Sports last night, and he was talking about how he really thinks the long-term viability of the NFL is coming into question, and he was very concerned about it.

There are a whole lot of health issues that are really, really scary if you're an NFL executive right now.

It's a league where you have to be the fastest, the strongest, and the biggest. That's all well and good, and there are some incredible athletes, but there are huge consequential effects that come from that too, and an issue not mentioned is that people who are overweight are at a higher risk for any number of health related concerns, including heart disease and diabetes. That includes pretty much every single lineman on either side of the ball. There are defensive ends who are about 6'5'' 270 that are simply freaks of nature and they are at a healthy weight, but there are plenty of others who are 300++ and are like 6'0, and that is simply not good on any level.

I think Aikman is right. At some point, something has to give.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Jan 28, 2011 -> 03:27 PM)
It's a league where you have to be the fastest, the strongest, and the biggest. That's all well and good, and there are some incredible athletes, but there are huge consequential effects that come from that too, and an issue not mentioned is that people who are overweight are at a higher risk for any number of health related concerns, including heart disease and diabetes. That includes pretty much every single lineman on either side of the ball. There are defensive ends who are about 6'5'' 270 that are simply freaks of nature and they are at a healthy weight, but there are plenty of others who are 300++ and are like 6'0, and that is simply not good on any level.

I think Aikman is right. At some point, something has to give.

This was actually addressed on the show as well. They revisited an earlier episode where they had looked into the health of the 300+ lb linemen. Apparently, because of the amount of working out they do while they play, they are usually not all that unhealthy during their playing careers, even though many of them are technically obese. However, once their playing days are over, they usually continue to eat as much, but discontinue working out, and so then they really balloon to higher weights and put far too much strain on their hearts.

There are so many health issues that are beginning to come to light, between the head injuries, the weight issues, and the NFL's stubborn stance towards their pension plans, the future is definitely quite murky. They are going to have to find a way to sell the game in a less-violent and slower manner if they wish to continue as a top-tier professional league, IMHO.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 29, 2011 -> 09:47 PM)
This was actually addressed on the show as well. They revisited an earlier episode where they had looked into the health of the 300+ lb linemen. Apparently, because of the amount of working out they do while they play, they are usually not all that unhealthy during their playing careers, even though many of them are technically obese. However, once their playing days are over, they usually continue to eat as much, but discontinue working out, and so then they really balloon to higher weights and put far too much strain on their hearts.

There are so many health issues that are beginning to come to light, between the head injuries, the weight issues, and the NFL's stubborn stance towards their pension plans, the future is definitely quite murky. They are going to have to find a way to sell the game in a less-violent and slower manner if they wish to continue as a top-tier professional league, IMHO.

I'd thought about what I said earlier and kind of figured that to be the case. Mike Williams, the OT the Bills drafted in the early 2000s, quit playing for a while and then had an itch to come back, and when he did he was at like 400 pounds. Unless you are like 7'5 (which is an unhealthy height even though nothing can be done about that), 400 pounds is not good.

At this point in time, the desire for hits and success is greater than the desire to prevent health problems, and quite frankly it's similar to the gladiator games during the Roman era. Sure, they aren't LITERALLY fighting lions and elephants and bears and whatever else, and people aren't being killed, so we have become civilized in that regards, but the fact of the matter is, people are being subjected to extremely violent actions for the sake of entertainment.