Official 2010-11 NFL Thread

knightni

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 09:13 PM)
Steelers did it in 2005 and then beat the #1 seed Seattle in the Super Bowl(thanks to the refs, I know I know).

ok, knew they were a #6 seed but wasn't sure if they knocked off the top three seeds in the conference. gonna be a tough game against the steelers because they play well on both sides of the ball and their offense can beat you in many ways. I think they present an even tougher matchup for the packers than the patriots would have.

think about this...packers built the foundation of a great defense in one round of the NFL draft...2009 NFL draft - B.J. Raji (9th overall pick) and Clay Matthews (26th overall pick). I realize that they have many other defensive playmakers like Woody, Jenkins, and Williams but Raji has been key over this 5 game win streak and Matthews... well he's been a force to reckon with since Week 6 of the 2009 season. Both second year players and only 24 years old should have a big future presuming they stay healthy.

So a quick evaluation of the Bears going forward, position by position.

QB: Cutler is obviously the man for a long time but it wouldn't kill them to get a legit backup. Hanie is a keeper 3rd QB, if that exists.

RB: Again, Forte is the man. So valuable. Runs it well, great pass catcher, and a good blocker. Taylor is probably gone after this year. A change of pace back (no, Wolfe doesn't count) would be huge. Sproles may be a FA. But a bruising 3rd down back would work too.

WR: Not as bad as people may think, but they could certainly mix things up a bit. A legit #1 would be amazing and benefit the team a ton. If they spend on Vincent Jackson, I wouldn't mind. Knox is ok, but pretty one-dimensional. Hester is a slot guy at best. Bennett was very reliable as a possession guy. Aromashodu...who the heck knows. And I'm ok with Rasheid Davis as a 5th WR and great special teamer.

TE: We're so deep at this position. Olsen, Davis, Clark, Manumaleuna. Nothing to see here.

OT: Omiyale is not a starting lineman. In fact, he's one of the worst lineman in the NFL. We NEED a new starting LT next year. Webb is actually a guy I really like at RT. He was up and down, as you'd expect from a 7th round pick out of a D2 school, but he's got the physical tools and Mike Tice could make this guy something special. Don't promise him anything, but he can earn the starting RT spot next year. Schaffer is our only real backup.

OG: Garza was solid, but unspectacular. He'll be 32 next year. I'd definitely look to improve. Chris Williams actually did well at LG overall. I think he can stick there for a long time. Not quite someone you can build around, but he's not necessarily a problem. The tackles are certainly more of an issue than the guards. Lance Louis was a pretty big bust, but he and Edwin Williams are young enough to keep around as backups.

C: Kreutz is clearly on the decline, and the only real center we have on the roster. He's 33, and there's no doubt you can get another solid season or 2 out of him, but a replacement needs to be found or groomed soon.

---

DE: Peppers proved to be a gigantic monstrosity of an addition. Well worth the money invested in him. Idonije definitely benefited from him on the other side of the line. Both had 8 sacks. Line improved greatly. Melton was a very pleasant surprise after the Bears basically redshirted him. He's got potential. Wootton also looked good in limited snaps. Ended Favre's career, so ya. I'd use a middle/late pick on a DE if someone we like drops like we did with Alex Brown back in the day.

DT: Anthony Adams really stepped up in a full time role and has been an underrated player. He was a big key in the Bears run stop D. A real leader as well. Tommie Harris was invisible most of the year but really played well late in the season. With that said, I fully expect him to get cut. Toeina was ok. Marcus Harrison showed flashed last season but didn't play much at all this year. IMO, this is the Bears 2nd biggest need in the draft.

LB: Urlacher proved a lot of people wrong this year and was pretty phenomenal. But he's 32. Briggs was Briggs. Tinoisamoa was solid but hasn't been able to stay healthy. They're thin here with backups though. Wilson, Iwuh, and Roach are special teamers really.

CB: Peanut is so up and down. He's fantastic at forcing turnovers and makes some clutch plays, but he also gets owned by some WR. Sometimes its not his fault, just not a good matchup. He's great against physical receivers, and bad against the speed guys. The cover-2 is a bigger problem. Tim Jennings saved the Bears ass quite a few times, but man he gets called for a lot of penalties. DJ Moore is a pretty damn good nickel back, and Bowman and Graham are solid backups. Graham, obviously, is a monster special teamer. This is a pretty big need for the Bears. Asomugha is a FA, but I can't see them going after him with the scheme they run.

S: Chris Harris really solidified the position. It was great to have him back. Not the greatest cover safety, but he's a sure tackled and a big hitter. I don't recall too many times where he made a mistake and someone got over the top of him. Danieal Manning, while much improved, was still caught out of position a lot. Major Wright was kind of a bust, but he's still young and battled injuries all year. I think the Bears would be best off with Wright and Harris starting together next year. Bullocks and Steltz suck.

K: Gould is awesome.

P: Maynard is good at pinning guys and with the directional kicks, but as discussed earlier, he's definitely not delivering the booming kicks anymore. I'd bring in a guy for some competition in training camp.

Haven't looked over the free agent class very much, but I know I'd make Vincent Jackson priority 1, 2 and 3. Go after him hard like you did with Peppers last year. A true #1 would do wonders for this team. It would open up the run and keep teams honest of the opposite WR.

There is no question that offensive line is the biggest need. The Bears have 6 picks, 1 each in the first 6 rounds. You HAVE to draft at least 2 OL.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:17 PM)
Time to start focusing on the NFL draft. This will be a crucial one for the Bears. Need to go heavy on OL and secondary.

Definitely need to go OL early in the draft (preferably Round 1), and then my #2 need is DT. CB could use an upgrade, but I think OL/DL (specifically DT) are more important at this point.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 09:59 PM)
I wonder how the Packers feel about already losing the Super Bowl.

I'm sure they don't feel that way and neither does vegas...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/odds

I'm a bit surprised the steelers aren't favorites but it should be a close game within a TD either way

QUOTE (ChiTown @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 11:28 PM)
I was referencing another account.

Not my fault nobody can handle a little Bears-Packers trash talking.

You got suspended, not banned (I forget which mod did it but the suspension should've ended by now). It wasn't the trash talking, it was the way you were name-calling. That will get you suspended every time.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:54 PM)
Haven't looked over the free agent class very much, but I know I'd make Vincent Jackson priority 1, 2 and 3. Go after him hard like you did with Peppers last year. A true #1 would do wonders for this team. It would open up the run and keep teams honest of the opposite WR.

There is no question that offensive line is the biggest need. The Bears have 6 picks, 1 each in the first 6 rounds. You HAVE to draft at least 2 OL.

No one really knows what the FA class is going to look like until a CBA is signed. However, Logan Mankins would fit in well at LG, allowing Williams to slide back to LT and probably making Kreutz look better as well.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 08:53 AM)
Seriously though. Bengals fans are the ones who should be demanding that they trade Mr. Pick-Six. He was awful this year.

This is the same franchise whose coach was about to resign prior to the lockout because they weren't investing in facilities comparable to other teams though.

QUOTE (ChiTown @ Jan 23, 2011 -> 10:50 PM)
NFC f***ING CHAMPS!!!

Next time have the decency to message someone letting them know they were banned, enjoy your loss :P

You're still a member, ChWRoCk2. You got suspended on Dec 30 for insulting another member.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Jan 24, 2011 -> 04:16 PM)
Yeah, probably the case. But still not right.

I don't like the fact that the thread was closed.

I have nothing against you SS, and I thought we were debating the issue without calling one another names.

It was a spirited argument. I thought that is why I came here.

No hard feelings. :headbang

It wasn't him alone, had someone made an objection he would've re-opened it. That very well might happen, who knows. But really the topic had gone on for 50+ pages and wasn't really going in any kind of positive direction.