Afghanistan.

Rex Kickass

• Replies 330
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way, from the UCOMJ

Any commissioned officer who uses contemptuous words against the President, the Vice President, Congress, the Secretary of Defense, the Secretary of a military department, the Secretary of Transportation, or the Governor or legislature of any State, Territory, Commonwealth, or possession in which he is on duty or present shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

Gen. McChrystal knows better. That's easy stuff, like Military 101.

That said, McChrystal himself didn't really say that much that could be seen as derogatory or inflammatory, and most of that was said by his staff. Still, perception is reality. Why they decided to do the interview in the first place is anybody's guess.

Edited by lostfan

Because our president has one-upped him at every opportunity, through a lot of leaks (see newsweek story about a month ago... it's ok for THEM to leak and DIRECT quotes smearing this man but no direct qutoes whatsoever in Rolling Stone)? Because our president is a f***ing boob of a man? Because... oh whatever... let's just keep worshipping our Mess......... iah.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
It doesn't matter, every officer in the U.S. military knows this. He is the president. McChrystal is a subordinate. The end.

I bet Obama was just building a strawman and letting this situation get worse so he can come in and fix everything. Also, somehow redistribute the wealth.

Don't talk s*** about superior officers/ commanders, period. That's like rule #1 in the military.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:59 AM)
So, it appears we have an insubordinate military commander running things in Afghanistan. Or at the very least, one who is very inarticulate in his choice of language used publicly to describe his civilian superiors.

Link

Private disagreements and even private jabs/insults/outright loathing, fine. But doing that in front of the press? I don't know how that isn't a firing offense.

What a patriot!

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:37 PM)
I bet Obama was just building a strawman and letting this situation get worse so he can come in and fix everything. Also, somehow redistribute the wealth.

Don't talk s*** about superior officers/ commanders, period. That's like rule #1 in the military.

Well, everyone does. Just not in public. And especially not to a reporter.

QUOTE (StrangeSox @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 08:32 PM)
LOL. Of course it is.

ffs, can you accept anything at face value without turning it into a massive Obama conspiracy?

It may not be Obama directly in this case, but someone knew exactly what to say close to the general and virtually nothing was a direct quote - it was all "sources close to"... . Furthermore, the response was too quick (Gibbs was too much of a happy ass on this). They knew this was coming.

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 02:28 AM)
It may not be Obama directly in this case, but someone knew exactly what to say close to the general and virtually nothing was a direct quote - it was all "sources close to"... . Furthermore, the response was too quick (Gibbs was too much of a happy ass on this). They knew this was coming.

the RS article was all directly quoted.

Shockingly, in modern day, news travels faster than the trains, in addition to the fact that reporters contact a range of sources, and likely the white house. Shocking! It's amazing this computer of mine is typing what keys my fingers are pushing in. What the hell is obama doing to my computer?

QUOTE (bmags @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
the RS article was all directly quoted.

Shockingly, in modern day, news travels faster than the trains, in addition to the fact that reporters contact a range of sources, and likely the white house. Shocking! It's amazing this computer of mine is typing what keys my fingers are pushing in. What the hell is obama doing to my computer?

Did you actually read the article? I didn't see any direct quotes from McChrystal relating to those comments about Obama, Biden, etc. I saw a whole lot of "an aide said" or "a top military strategist said."

QUOTE (kapkomet @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 09:28 PM)

It's White House communications job to know what stories are coming. This is terribly embarassing for the Obama administration, I don't understand how or why they'd have created this.

Basically, the entire RS article would have to be a fabrication for kap's point to make sense. Oh, and we'd need a reason why he immediately offered resignation instead of denying the allegations. And why Obama would want a headline story about top military doubting him and his administration.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 22, 2010 -> 10:52 PM)
Did you actually read the article? I didn't see any direct quotes from McChrystal relating to those comments about Obama, Biden, etc. I saw a whole lot of "an aide said" or "a top military strategist said."

The Biden/"Who's that" joking line was listed as a direct McCrystal quote.

Some negative remarks about Ambassador Holbrooke were direct quotes.

But the real thing that he did was openly question policy...not only that, he openly questioned policy basically after getting, for the most part, the President to agree with almost everything he wanted, as the article notes.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 09:35 AM)
I am sure that military leaders talk like this all the time, but you don't do it in the press, as lf said. Just plain stupid, and I really think McChrystal has to go.

Supposedly, a lot of the quotes came about when McCrystal's aides, McCrystal, and the reporter were delayed by the volcano canceling a flight, and a case of bud light lime was broken out.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 08:37 AM)
Supposedly, a lot of the quotes came about when McCrystal's aides, McCrystal, and the reporter were delayed by the volcano canceling a flight, and a case of bud light lime was broken out.

Well, drinking Bud Light Lime should also be a firing offense, so get rid of his ass.