2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Went to the Sox game in Tempe today. I had another great time. I got autographs from Ramirez, Beckham, Gartrell, Morel, Armstrong, and great pictures with Beckham and Ramirez. Also, got Chris Chambliss and Jenksy to wave, Peavy to give me a nod, a thanks from Jacob Rasner, and Tony Pena to give me a fist bump. Game wise: Rios, Peavy, and Beckham look great. Dialed in and ready to go. Matt Long looked great as well. Jenksy was shaky, nearly all of his pitches were flat, and his curves didn’t break. I saw what happened to Jared Mitchell, and it was pretty visceral. He read that ball perfectly off the bat, and hit the wall hard. He lay there as rounds of applause, and chants of “Web Gem,” echoed through the stadium. I hope he’s ok.

this word you say. I do not think it means what you think it means

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 07:34 PM)
Went to the Sox game in Tempe today. I had another great time. I got autographs from Ramirez, Beckham, Gartrell, Morel, Armstrong, and great pictures with Beckham and Ramirez. Also, got Chris Chambliss and Jenksy to wave, Peavy to give me a nod, a thanks from Jacob Rasner, and Tony Pena to give me a fist bump. Game wise: Rios, Peavy, and Beckham look great. Dialed in and ready to go. Matt Long looked great as well. Jenksy was shaky, nearly all of his pitches were flat, and his curves didn’t break. I saw what happened to Jared Mitchell, and it was pretty visceral. He read that ball perfectly off the bat, and hit the wall hard. He lay there as rounds of applause, and chants of “Web Gem,” echoed through the stadium. I hope he’s ok.

Pics or it didn't happen!

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 05:34 PM)
Went to the Sox game in Tempe today. I had another great time. I got autographs from Ramirez, Beckham, Gartrell, Morel, Armstrong, and great pictures with Beckham and Ramirez. Also, got Chris Chambliss and Jenksy to wave, Peavy to give me a nod, a thanks from Jacob Rasner, and Tony Pena to give me a fist bump. Game wise: Rios, Peavy, and Beckham look great. Dialed in and ready to go. Matt Long looked great as well. Jenksy was shaky, nearly all of his pitches were flat, and his curves didn’t break. I saw what happened to Jared Mitchell, and it was pretty frightening. He read that ball perfectly off the bat, and hit the wall hard. He lay there as rounds of applause, and chants of “Web Gem,” echoed through the stadium. I hope he’s ok.

great to hear the birds-eye view, thanks

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 07:48 PM)
I won’t even bother justifying that one. I was feeling verbose. It made sense before I changed around the post.

I just watched "The Princess Bride" and laughed when I saw your post. It was too good to pass up

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)
I just watched "The Princess Bride" and laughed when I saw your post. It was too good to pass up

I just enjoy how half of our exchanges end with me apologizing for misusing a word. I’m not complaining, I can use the help, I just think it’s hysterical.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 08:04 PM)
I just enjoy how half of our exchanges end with me apologizing for misusing a word. I’m not complaining, I can use the help, I just think it’s hysterical.

You dont have to apologize, a simple "d'oh!" would be fine. I have plenty of my own absentminded posts that make me laugh at myself

You are right, it is hysterical.

Sox down 2-1 in the 3rd. Torres with the start for the Sox. Theriot led off the 1st with a bunt single that Teahan threw away. A walk and a few bloop hits got the Cubs 2 runs. Torres broke 2 bats , one on an out and another on a blooper. Jones gunned out Kevin Millar at the plate to end the inning.

Sox got their run with walks by Jones, Kotsay and Flowers with K's of Teahan, De Aza and Nix with a wild pitch scoring Jones during Nix AB. I couldn't help but think Barry Bonds would've homered on each of the called 3rd strikes to Teahan , De Aza and Nix, all fastballs either right there or on the inner half of the plate.

Cubs with a few more hits with 2 outs to lead 3-1 in Torres last inning.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE (BFirebird @ Mar 12, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Which will come 1st though? "Former Cy Young Award Winner, Steve Stone" or "7th decade in baseball"?

I bet he says it in every single Sox broadcast this season. Stone will introduce himself, then Hawk will introduce himself with "And I'm Hawk Harrelson, and this is my 7th decade in baseball."

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 01:36 AM)
Thunderbolt, did you ignore Donny Lucy for the 2nd game in a row when you were asking for autographs? Poor Donny. :(

Nah, i think Donny went to Vegas. I did get Cole Armstrong though, and he looked like he was in a surly mood. Am i redeemed?

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 01:55 AM)
Man, I know it is only ST but Nunez is suffering major suckage. His ERA is 27.00 now. Hope he turns it around. Thurderbolt have you seen Nunez pitch yet? Any cmments?

I was watching him last night against the Cubs. It was quite rough. He was struggling to throw strikes, and when he did throw strikes, everything was up.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
I'm pretty shocked Jenks' troubles aren't getting more play. Getting lit up right now doesn't me much, but his calf bothering him has to be a concern. Cooper is concerned.

"I'm concerned a bit about Bobby, he's got a bad calf, but hopefully he'll be back in a couple days, and you've got 30-40 people in camp and you're only worried about 1 of them that's not bad"

-Paraphrasing The Oz a moment ago.

If Putz does really well in ST and this year could he be looked upon as a closer candidate? After all Jenks is going to be expensive again this year and I don´t know that he will be worth another round of arb unless he really has a kickbutt year. I am not sure eventhough he has lost some weight. I see him in decline this year, just me.

Edited by chisoxfan09

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 06:17 PM)
If Putz does really well in ST and this year could he be looked upon as a closer candidate? After all Jenks is going to be expensive again this year and I don´t know that he will be worth another round of arb unless he really has a kickbutt year. I am not sure eventhough he has lost some weight. I see him in decline this year, just me.

Yes, Putz is an obvious closer candidate for this year if he performs and Jenks doesn't. However, we only have Putz on a 1 year deal. If he pitches well enough that we'd want him next year, he's likely gone anyway.

I'm writing this in a rush, so forgive the usual errors. Thunderbolt’s epic spring training tour concluded today as Daniel Cabrera and Erick Threets were beaten by the Brewers in painful fashion. Floyd was dominant; the highlight was a vicious curve to put down Jim Edmonds. On the offensive end, Beckham and Rios are revved up and ready to go. Ramirez and Viciedo each had tremendous defensive plays, while Danksy 2 had a great throw from center to nail a guy at home. Viciedo, following the play, tossed me the game ball. Never had that happen to me before. Also, Colina and Silverio appear to have no idea how to recieve and react to throws from the outfield, this is a problem. The highlight of the game (dreadfully dull after four) was after a blown call to Botts (the first base umpire was atrocious today), a fan shouted, “GO OVER THERE AND SLAP HIM, HAROLD!” and Baines laughed hysterically. I had two great exchanges with Brandon Hynick and Ken Macha. Hynick was walking unnoticed by the fans until I shouted, “BRANDON! BRANDON HYNICK!” and instantly made him the most popular player on the team for a minute and a half. He came over, and I said, “Happy to have you out of Colorado."Ace of the Charlotte staff!” He grinned and said, “Happy to be here.” Next came, Ken Macha after the game, who grunted as I said, “Glad you’re in the National League, now I can root for you.” This was a lie, and then “I hope you beat the Cubs A LOT.” This was a fact. I got Chris Chambliss (really great guy) to come over and sign, leaving him with, “Have a great year in Charlotte” as a parting thought. Next, I got Trayce Thompson who was also easily ignored because his name actually isn’t listed on the active roster. He seems like a really great good, and apart from an Atrocious play in left, showed a really nice arm. Harold Baines, despite turning my father down in a hilarious fashion for a photo, was good enough to sign. Same with Greg Walker. The most impressive player I saw during my time there was Jordan Danks. Jordan is just a great guy smiling constantly, playing jokes on the other players (mostly Beckham), and talking to fans. I can’t wait to see him on the big show, and I wish him only the best. I had a great experience this spring, and look forward to doing it all again this year.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 13, 2010 -> 06:49 PM)
I'm writing this in a rush, so forgive the usual errors. Thunderbolt’s epic spring training tour concluded today as Daniel Cabrera and Erick Threets were beaten by the Brewers in painful fashion. Floyd was dominant; the highlight was a vicious curve to put down Jim Edmonds. On the offensive end, Beckham and Rios are revved up and ready to go. Ramirez and Viciedo each had tremendous defensive plays, while Danksy 2 had a great throw from center to nail a guy at home. Viciedo, following the play, tossed me the game ball. Never had that happen to me before. Also, Colina and Silverio appear to have no idea how to recieve and react to throws from the outfield, this is a problem. The highlight of the game (dreadfully dull after four) was after a blown call to Botts (the first base umpire was atrocious today), a fan shouted, “GO OVER THERE AND SLAP HIM, HAROLD!” and Baines laughed hysterically. I had two great exchanges with Brandon Hynick and Ken Macha. Hynick was walking unnoticed by the fans until I shouted, “BRANDON! BRANDON HYNICK!” and instantly made him the most popular player on the team for a minute and a half. He came over, and I said, “Happy to have you out of Colorado."Ace of the Charlotte staff!” He grinned and said, “Happy to be here.” Next came, Ken Macha after the game, who grunted as I said, “Glad you’re in the National League, now I can root for you.” This was a lie, and then “I hope you beat the Cubs A LOT.” This was a fact. I got Chris Chambliss (really great guy) to come over and sign, leaving him with, “Have a great year in Charlotte” as a parting thought. Next, I got Trayce Thompson who was also easily ignored because his name actually isn’t listed on the active roster. He seems like a really great good, and apart from an Atrocious play in left, showed a really nice arm. Harold Baines, despite turning my father down in a hilarious fashion for a photo, was good enough to sign. Same with Greg Walker. The most impressive player I saw during my time there was Jordan Danks. Jordan is just a great guy smiling constantly, playing jokes on the other players (mostly Beckham), and talking to fans. I can’t wait to see him on the big show, and I wish him only the best. I had a great experience this spring, and look forward to doing it all again this year.

I am sure you made Hynick's day. :headbang

Funny your dad got rejected by Harold. He was willing to take a photo with me last spring!