2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 02:49 PM)
He isn't the ideal power guy for me personally, but I'm thinking in terms of what Ozzie likes. He likes speed, versatility, and De Aza will give you a good OBP not to mention he is left-handed which KW mentions we are lacking (albeit power). This guy probably would have been a solid player, perhaps at worst a great 4th OF, if injuries didn't derail his development not to mention he was blocked in Florida.

I don't know that De Aza is going to give you a good OBP. He's going to have to hit for average, and his career minor league batting average of .275 isn't exactly good, let alone trying to replicate it in the majors. De Aza might be on the shuttle to the majors a few times this season, but he'd be a pretty terrible choice for DH, like bad enough that I'd prefer Mark Kotsay to be the full-time DH to De Aza.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
I don't know that De Aza is going to give you a good OBP. He's going to have to hit for average, and his career minor league batting average of .275 isn't exactly good, let alone trying to replicate it in the majors. De Aza might be on the shuttle to the majors a few times this season, but he'd be a pretty terrible choice for DH, like bad enough that I'd prefer Mark Kotsay to be the full-time DH to De Aza.

Not going to disagree with you on Kotsay/De Aza. One thing worth noting about De Aza's Min. stats though is that even if he's had a poor batting average in some stops, he's actually had a decent OBP due to taking a good number of walks.

Starting in A ball, batting average/obp

.255 .346

.286 .370

.278 .346

.300 .370

Those are his minor league stops where he's had 100+ at bats since 2004.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)
Not going to disagree with you on Kotsay/De Aza. One thing worth noting about De Aza's Min. stats though is that even if he's had a poor batting average in some stops, he's actually had a decent OBP due to taking a good number of walks.

.255 .346

.286 .370

.278 .346

.300 .370

The problem is that mlb pitchers will go right at him and force him to put the ball in play.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 07:14 PM)
The problem is that mlb pitchers will go right at him and force him to put the ball in play.

In a full season (500 AB's or so) he'd probably k about 100 times if he kept up the same rate. That's basically Podsednik territory, so it's fully workable.

For comparison, I'm praying that D2: the Mighty Danks can get himself down to a

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 05:42 PM)

.255 .346

.286 .370

.278 .346

.300 .370

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 06:14 PM)

And there is evidence of this too in his 2007 season. He walked 6 times in 158 plate appearances. He's going to draw more walks than that, but that's still just flat out awful.

On top of that, he's going to have to hit atleast .270 to be able to put up a respectable OBP. If he's barely doing that in the minors, how can he be expected to do it in the majors?

De Aza to me seems quite a bit like Jerry Owens.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 06:27 PM)
In a full season (500 AB's or so) he'd probably k about 100 times if he kept up the same rate. That's basically Podsednik territory, so it's fully workable.

For comparison, I'm praying that D2: the Mighty Danks can get himself down to a

I think there's a big difference comparing Danks and De Aza.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 08:28 PM)
And there is evidence of this too in his 2007 season. He walked 6 times in 158 plate appearances. He's going to draw more walks than that, but that's still just flat out awful.

That was his first ever call up to the freaking big leagues that year, not to mention he was constantly injured that season (in fact.. he's been injured the last three seasons I believe, not to mention when he's been called up, so he hasn't had a true opportunity. Your being way too harsh on him. Plus I prefer to look at what he did just last season putting up a .300/.370/.506/876 line. Sure it was the PCL, but he has a good history of getting on base. He's stronger than Owens, plays better defense than Owens, has a stronger arm than Owens, but he's slower than Owens. (injures didn't help his legs either) I'm not saying he's gonna be a stud now, but he'd be a great 4th OF right now, and I would say if he settles in the big leagues I could see a .270/.355/.390/750 type player out of him.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:13 PM)
That was his first ever call up to the freaking big leagues that year, not to mention he was constantly injured that season (in fact.. he's been injured the last three seasons I believe, not to mention when he's been called up, so he hasn't had a true opportunity. Your being way too harsh on him. Plus I prefer to look at what he did just last season putting up a .300/.370/.506/876 line. Sure it was the PCL, but he has a good history of getting on base. He's stronger than Owens, plays better defense than Owens, has a stronger arm than Owens, but he's slower than Owens. (injures didn't help his legs either) I'm not saying he's gonna be a stud now, but he'd be a great 4th OF right now, and I would say if he settles in the big leagues I could see a .270/.355/.390/750 type player out of him.

I think a .750 OPS would be about the best case possible scenario for him. He's had exactly one half season worth of play at a good level in the minor leagues (last year), and it was also the only year where he really hit for any power, though you could make an argument for his 2005 season as being power productive (I don't know that I call 36 XBHs with 9 of them being triples powerful, but instead leggy). Add to it that the league OPS for the PCL was .758 (opposed to .723 in the IL), and I think you can deflate those stats a bit from there too.

There is also a thought...maybe it's my own, but I'm sure it would be echoed on here by a few...that guys who don't get a shot at starting don't get it for a reason. In fact, De Aza did get a chance, even if it was as a 23 year old rookie.

De Aza does not excite me as a player. I think there is a use for him, but he seems to fit the mold of a Darin Erstad...might hit for a decent average, might get on at a decent clip, but he won't hit for much power, isn't going to hit well enough to be a good regular, and isn't going to be fast enough to force his way into the lineup. The injury problem is coincidental, as I'm not even considering that.

If I had to predict a line for De Aza for the entirety of the season, if he were to hypothetically play full time, I would guess, based on what I've read and seen and heard about him, that he'd put up a .700 OPS. Something like .260/.330/.370. I don't want that production coming out of my DH spot. Hell, I don't want that coming out of CF, SS, 2B, or C, why would I want it out of my DH?

He seems to be the 6th outfielder on the team. He'll probably be the first outfielder called up, and I'm sure the Sox will need it too.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 12:58 AM)
If I had to predict a line for De Aza for the entirety of the season, if he were to hypothetically play full time, I would guess, based on what I've read and seen and heard about him, that he'd put up a .700 OPS. Something like .260/.330/.370. I don't want that production coming out of my DH spot. Hell, I don't want that coming out of CF, SS, 2B, or C, why would I want it out of my DH?

I can dig your post I agree with some of it, though some of it I'll respectfully disagree with. Hell.. it's hard to find PT when you got Coghlan and Hermida (of course he's gone now and Stanton is about 2-3 years away) at the corners and for some reason, they got a hard on for Cody Ross though he was serviceable, but that position is a stop-gap for Maybin of course. I highlighted this part, cause you might have to get used to it. Unless Kotsay finds it, those numbers are close to what he's been putting up the last few years not to mention is a career .281/.336/.413/.750 hitter. I'll hold out on Jones as he's impressed me this spring and could either suck or explode (not to mention take over full time) with his talent.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
I can dig your post, though some I'll respectfully disagree with. I highlighted this part, cause you might have to get used to it. Unless Kotsay finds it, those numbers are close to what he's been putting up the last few years not to mention is a career .281/.336/.413/.750 hitter. I'll hold out on Jones as he's impressed me this spring and could either suck or explode (not to mention take over full time) with his talent.

You know I hate Kotsay with a passion starting. It reminds me of the Erstad scenario all over again (and I in fact typed Erstad in the first sentence before backspacing and putting in Kotsay). I just hope that if it fails, Kenny sees it and pulls the trigger on a deal right away.

Now, if Jones runs away with the position, I won't be surprised. He's the one person on the roster who actually has a shot at doing that. I doubt it happens, but I didn't care much for Jermaine Dye in the middle of May in 2005, and he turned out to be a top 2 free agent signing in White Sox history.

Edited by witesoxfan

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 15, 2010 -> 11:55 PM)
Ozzie might be leaning towards batting Kotsay 5th!

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/baseb...0,3094909.story

There's going to have to be a lefty hitting 5th. Otherwise you just have a long string of righties. That was the real flaw in this lineup. It'd be really darn useful if Teahen could find an .800 OPS form and take that role.

QUOTE (striker @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 10:40 AM)
Pena looked good last night. He looked overpowering against righties with the exception of the hanging slider he served up to Guillen. He looked bad against the only lefty he faced though. 4 pitches, 4 balls.

With a man a second he pitched around Mitch Maier to get to...............Josh Fields worked like a charm.

The hanger was not missed by Guillen.

QUOTE (Jenks Heat @ Mar 16, 2010 -> 05:33 PM)
With a man a second he pitched around Mitch Maier to get to...............Josh Fields worked like a charm.

The hanger was not missed by Guillen.

I thought the walk came first, then the double. I guess i have it mixed up. Makes sense now.

SI's Tom Verducci tried to crunch some numbers by looking at the Red Sox/Yankee rivalry in terms of "Which teams' top starters make the most starts". He then looked around the league for comparison, and wham, guess what hit him.

Don Cooper of the White Sox is one of the most underrated pitching coaches in baseball. His staffs are consistently durable. Over the past five years his pitchers have made 30 starts 20 times, an extraordinary record. The Yankees and Red Sox, for instance, during that span are tied -- what else did you expect? -- with 13 times one of their pitchers made 30 starts.