2010 Chicago White Sox Spring Training

justBLAZE

• Replies 834
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
I like Retherford, but i don't want to lose Nix for nothing. I really don't think he'd clear waivers.

He wouldn't. You'd probably have to pull off some sort of junk for junk type trade if you wanted Retherford on the team and wanted to get something for Nix.

Not that it's really worth trying, but why wouldn't Nix clear waivers? It's not like he's an uber-talented player who hasn't lived up to his potential - he got into BA's top 100 prospects one time, and it was #94 in 2004. He's pretty mediocre, and I can't see why another team would suddenly take a chance on him. As I recall, the Rockies DFA'ed him and no team claimed him, and then the Sox signed him to a contract.

The only real value Nix has is as a platoon partner, and I seem to recall that his minor league career indicates that last year may have been a fluke.

And it's probably not that they are trying to save time on Retherford's arbitration clock...it just might be that the club feels that Nix is more qualified to be a backup infielder than Retherford, that Retherford needs some more seasoning and they want to see him play a few games at more positions to determine what he can and can't play in games that don't really matter, and perhaps they are hoping Nix can turn into a player who looks like he could be a .260/.340/.410 everyday 2B with a great glove so they can trade him for a decent prospect or package up for a good player during the season or over the offseason.

So maybe, in some small way, it has to do with their fear of losing Nix over the waiver wire, but really, I think there is quite a bit more to the equation.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 03:28 PM)
That could also be Cabrera trying to use Cooper's style of pitching and it not working ala Nick Massett.

He had lost velocity for a couple of years now. His K rate really dropped and he makes MacDougal's control look like Greg Maddux. He was a longshot that didn't pan out. No harm, no foul. It was worth giving him a uniform to see if they could find a way they could get anything to fall into place. There's just nothing to work with anymore.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah, the Sox want another IF, not a 5th OF. De Aza will start in Charlotte, and be called up if Kotsay or Jones are injured.

No, I don't think it does. It means the player is free to sign wherever since they are not on the 40-man or under current contract... but it does not rule out the Sox signing them as minor leaguers who are not on the 40. At least, I think that is how it works.

It doesn't, but didn't they sign minor league contracts? If they were willing to play in Charlotte and the Sox wanted to continue with them, I don't think they would have been released.

QUOTE (witesoxfan @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 06:28 PM)
Not that it's really worth trying, but why wouldn't Nix clear waivers? It's not like he's an uber-talented player who hasn't lived up to his potential - he got into BA's top 100 prospects one time, and it was #94 in 2004. He's pretty mediocre, and I can't see why another team would suddenly take a chance on him. As I recall, the Rockies DFA'ed him and no team claimed him, and then the Sox signed him to a contract.

The only real value Nix has is as a platoon partner, and I seem to recall that his minor league career indicates that last year may have been a fluke.

And it's probably not that they are trying to save time on Retherford's arbitration clock...it just might be that the club feels that Nix is more qualified to be a backup infielder than Retherford, that Retherford needs some more seasoning and they want to see him play a few games at more positions to determine what he can and can't play in games that don't really matter, and perhaps they are hoping Nix can turn into a player who looks like he could be a .260/.340/.410 everyday 2B with a great glove so they can trade him for a decent prospect or package up for a good player during the season or over the offseason.

So maybe, in some small way, it has to do with their fear of losing Nix over the waiver wire, but really, I think there is quite a bit more to the equation.

Given that his future is likely that of a utilityman I believe this is the last thing on their minds.

I really think the Sox see something in Nix, there's a reason why they jumped all over him at the end of October last year and signed him to a guaranteed major league deal after he was released by the Rockies.

QUOTE (Dick Allen @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 06:39 PM)
He had lost velocity for a couple of years now. His K rate really dropped and he makes MacDougal's control look like Greg Maddux. He was a longshot that didn't pan out. No harm, no foul. It was worth giving him a uniform to see if they could find a way they could get anything to fall into place. There's just nothing to work with anymore.

http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?pla...=P&pitch=FA

That right there is a noticeable decline in velocity over a 3 year time period.

His average fastball velocity since '05:

2005: 96.2

2006: 94.8

2007: 94.3

2008: 92.6

2009: 90.9

Same goes for his offspeed pitches which are down across the board since the middle part of the decade.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 17, 2010 -> 06:43 PM)
http://www.fangraphs.com/pitchfxo.aspx?pla...=P&pitch=FA

That right there is a noticeable decline in velocity over a 3 year time period.

His average fastball velocity since '05:

2005: 96.2

2006: 94.8

2007: 94.3

2008: 92.6

2009: 90.9

Same goes for his offspeed pitches which are down across the board since the middle part of the decade.

I had no idea that he had fallen off that much. Without the big fastball, the guy is worthless. I wouldn't have been nearly as interested in the guy if I would have known he was only hitting 90.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Mar 18, 2010 -> 02:08 PM)
I hate that Ozzie always says things like "Give me 30 stolen bases" without ever adding "and don't get thrown out".

Q's hitting 50 HR this year.

I like it.

I was worried this week when he said his surgically repaired left shoulder was sore, but then he went out and stroked 2 doubles, albeit off russ ortiz, but still.

Edited by The Ginger Kid

Jones and Mark Kotsay were going to make up the designated hitter-by-committee that earned Guillen a lot of criticism from Williams during the offseason. Through Thursday, Jones was hitting .400 with a home run and seven RBI, and Kotsay was hitting .391 with five walks and a .500 on-base percentage. By the way, they each had three stolen bases, leading the team.

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/baseball/wh...T-sox19.article