Baseball America top 100

ChiliIrishHammock24

QUOTE (Ozzie Ball @ Feb 26, 2010 -> 05:05 PM)
That luck adjusted line regressed his BABIP to .361, so it is taking into account the likelihood that Mitchell with have significantly above average BABIP (.330-.340 range), with extra adjustment for poor defense. His strikeout rate was just that bad, and obviously it was a small sample size, but if Mitchell does start at Birmingham he could fall flat on his face.

It's pretty difficult to make such a blanket generalization as this. Mitchell and Jordan Danks both came out of top college programs with a very high level of competition, so they're simply expected to be on a faster track. While Mitchell is more raw in terms of playing experience, nobody can say he would fail at Birmingham, anymore than scouts could project what Viciedo might do at age 19 or 20 in that league.

I agree with most of the posters here that Winston-Salem is the more likely destination, and there's currently not any pressing need to rush either Mitchell or Danks with Quentin, Pierre and Rios all in the picture for at least the next two years. Of course, injury and non-performance (by Andruw Jones/Kotsay) could change all that, but the odds of KW dipping down to Jordan Danks as an outfielder or DH in 2010 are about 3-5% at most.

I think the club really made a smart move with Viciedo...he certainly struggled out of the gate but the club stuck with him and didn't demote him. By the second half of the season, he was learning how to make adjustments and his stat line started to look much more respectable.

Personally, with Mitchell, I'd really prefer that he builds his confidence step by step, and he's not nearly as polished as Danks, so we can take our time and nurture his development over the next two years with the idea he'd take over as the starter and leadoff hitter as early as 2012. I think that's pretty realistic...some will say late 2011 or late 2012, but somewhere in that time frame.

Edited by caulfield12

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Got the Baseball America Prospect Guide in the mail today, the top 30 for the White Sox is...

Jared Mitchell

Tyler Flowers

Daniel Hudson

Brent Morel

Jordan Danks

Trayce Thompson

Dayan Viciedo

David Holmberg

Clevelan Santeliz

Miguel Gonzalez

Josh Phegley

John Ely *

Sergio Santos

Stefan Gartrell

C.J. Retherford

Carlos Torres

Lucas Harrell

Santos Rodriguez

Eduardo Escobar

Nevin Griffith

Christian Marrero

Jhonny Nunez

Dan Remenowsky

Kyle Bellamy

John Shelby III

Nathan Jones

Charlie Leesman

Jon Link *

Jose Martinez

Justin Collop

Brandon Allen is listed as number 4 for Arizona, Aaron Poreda is number 10 and Dexter Carter is number 28 for San Diego.

Surprised not seeing Juan Silverio's name there. the guy's only 18 about to turn 19, plays at a premium position, base on his performance in DSL last year, he had made some strides in hitting for contact, base on the age, age, and the position alone he should be a top 30.

I think Silverio is kind of under the radar in everyone's list, and I can't really find much scouting reports on him. Anyone has any read on this guy?

and if i am not mistaken (didn't know he was invited to ST, and his stats wasn't listed on whitesox.com), he actually played as a DH in last saturday's game vs the Cubs going 0-3 with 1 k. Considering that he has never played above the Appy League, the Sox must have high hopes for him to send him to ST?

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
Surprised not seeing Juan Silverio's name there. the guy's only 18 about to turn 19, plays at a premium position, base on his performance in DSL last year, he had made some strides in hitting for contact, base on the age, age, and the position alone he should be a top 30.

I think Silverio is kind of under the radar in everyone's list, and I can't really find much scouting reports on him. Anyone has any read on this guy?

and if i am not mistaken (didn't know he was invited to ST, and his stats wasn't listed on whitesox.com), he actually played as a DH in last saturday's game vs the Cubs going 0-3 with 1 k. Considering that he has never played above the Appy League, the Sox must have high hopes for him to send him to ST?

Maybe I am mistaken and am thinking of a different person, but I thought they found out Silverio has actually older than he claimed, and was really like 21 years old.

There was a lot of buzz on Silverio a couple years ago, but he was signed during the signing bonus scandal period so after he struggled in the Appy League people assumed he was another over hyped foreign signee. People seem to be taking the wait and see approach. I'm sure many will get back on the bandwagon this year if he does well in rookie ball.

I believe the age rumors were wrong, but there were rumors that he had to play in the DSL because he had visa issues. It's been a weird series of events around this kid, that's for sure.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 07:29 PM)
There was a lot of buzz on Silverio a couple years ago, but he was signed during the signing bonus scandal period so after he struggled in the Appy League people assumed he was another over hyped foreign signee. People seem to be taking the wait and see approach. I'm sure many will get back on the bandwagon this year if he does well in rookie ball.

I believe the age rumors were wrong, but there were rumors that he had to play in the DSL because he had visa issues. It's been a weird series of events around this kid, that's for sure.

What happened last year? Was he injured or something?

http://thebaseballcube.com/players/S/Juan-Silverio.shtml

They don't list any 2009 stats for him, and this site has stats for EVERY player who has ever played at any level including college.

I heard the rumors about fraudulent age for some DR prospects too, but it was a different organization, pretty sure not Silverio

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/st...&pid=534649

stats won't show probably cuz he played in DSL

base on the stats, he is turning into a good hitter with ability to drive the ball. Stats don't mean much, so it would be interesting if anyone has an updated scouting report on him.

Nonetheless, if he continues to improve this season, and his age is legit, then I say he could become a top 5 prospect in the Sox system and perhaps we would have another valuable trading chip.

Edited by thxfrthmmrs

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Mar 10, 2010 -> 03:12 AM)
i thought silverio was actually like 31 and the visa problems were because of his previous falsified age. not sure though.

The initial rumor was that he had falsified his age. I never heard 31 specifically, but it was generally thought that he was older than his listed age. The demotion to the DSL then sparked the visa issue speculation, which only fueled the rumors of age falsification. To my knowledge nothing was ever confirmed (or denied), and since players get a suspension now for falsifying their age, if anything concrete had been found, he would have been suspended and we would have heard about it. That hasn't happened, so either his listed age is legit, or the investigation has taken more than 2 years. Personally I think the ST invite is an extremely positive thing.

We had a poster here who broke the Wilder scandal before it was made public. This poster claimed to be a newly hired player development person for the Sox, and he pointed to Silverio as one of the frauds Wilder orchestrated. I don't think he ever named Silverio specifically, but I believe he referred to Silverio by mocking the Phil Rogers hype that came out immediately after the kid was signed.

I'm not sure if anyone knows whether this poster was 100% legit or not, but if not, he obviously had better sources than anyone I've ever seen post here, because he knew about something really big going on behind the scenes which your Joe Cowleys and Mark Gonzales' and so forth don't get into, and when he talked he certainly sounded like a scout. So whoever this person is/was, him talking about Silverio being a fraud shouldn't just be taken with a grain of salt IMO. I haven't seen a confirmation one way or the other on Silverio, but I'm personally not going to consider him a prospect until he proves he's a prospect. Even for his age, Silverio statistically has been a disaster when you consider the amount the Sox signed him for ($600K IIRC). I mean if you can only hit DSL pitching then you damn sure don't deserve $600K. That's big f***ing money for a prospect.

QUOTE (Kenny Hates Prospects @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
We had a poster here who broke the Wilder scandal before it was made public. This poster claimed to be a newly hired player development person for the Sox, and he pointed to Silverio as one of the frauds Wilder orchestrated. I don't think he ever named Silverio specifically, but I believe he referred to Silverio by mocking the Phil Rogers hype that came out immediately after the kid was signed.

I'm not sure if anyone knows whether this poster was 100% legit or not, but if not, he obviously had better sources than anyone I've ever seen post here, because he knew about something really big going on behind the scenes which your Joe Cowleys and Mark Gonzales' and so forth don't get into, and when he talked he certainly sounded like a scout. So whoever this person is/was, him talking about Silverio being a fraud shouldn't just be taken with a grain of salt IMO. I haven't seen a confirmation one way or the other on Silverio, but I'm personally not going to consider him a prospect until he proves he's a prospect. Even for his age, Silverio statistically has been a disaster when you consider the amount the Sox signed him for ($600K IIRC). I mean if you can only hit DSL pitching then you damn sure don't deserve $600K. That's big f***ing money for a prospect.

I don't think it took someone in player development to tell that Rogers was nuts in his excitement about Silverio.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 10:06 PM)
I don't think it took someone in player development to tell that Rogers was nuts in his excitement about Silverio.

Rogers was just putting out there what he was fed. The poster IIRC also went so far as to say Silverio wasn't a prospect, not just some overhyped prospect. And really, there are legit guys signed out of Latin America every year that get talked up like Silverio was being talked up, so the hype alone wasn't surprising.

QUOTE (False Alarm @ Mar 9, 2010 -> 09:12 PM)
i thought silverio was actually like 31 and the visa problems were because of his previous falsified age. not sure though.

No way. I did a google search the kid and had no idea what he looks like or he old he looks. He played in Saturday's game vs the Cubs, which was televised on WGN. Too bad I missed the part he was subbed in. But I think there is a lot of difference between a 31 year old dude and an 18 year old kid, just on looks alone.

i was exaggerating.

there is this from january, fwiw:

Juan Silverio, INF: According to Bell, there was a bit of a discrepancy in Silverio's papers over his age, so he ended up spending last year with the White Sox Dominican team. But Silverio was back for a great instructional league showing this past fall and might have physically outgrown the shortstop position.

http://chicago.whitesox.mlb.com/news/artic...sp&c_id=cws

not sure what to make of that but there y'all go.

Wasn't the hype over silveiro just kind of a reaction to that kind of money thrown at a "16" year old? Wouldn't you think there was something to it?

That was just an absurd, dark time in the White Sox org. But hey, maybe dude can become somethin.