Baseball America top 100

ChiliIrishHammock24

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Got the Baseball America Prospect Guide in the mail today, the top 30 for the White Sox is...

Jared Mitchell

Tyler Flowers

Daniel Hudson

Brent Morel

Jordan Danks

Trayce Thompson

Dayan Viciedo

David Holmberg

Clevelan Santeliz

Miguel Gonzalez

Josh Phegley

John Ely *

Sergio Santos

Stefan Gartrell

C.J. Retherford

Carlos Torres

Lucas Harrell

Santos Rodriguez

Eduardo Escobar

Nevin Griffith

Christian Marrero

Jhonny Nunez

Dan Remenowsky

Kyle Bellamy

John Shelby III

Nathan Jones

Charlie Leesman

Jon Link *

Jose Martinez

Justin Collop

Brandon Allen is listed as number 4 for Arizona, Aaron Poreda is number 10 and Dexter Carter is number 28 for San Diego.

QUOTE (JPN366 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
Got the Baseball America Prospect Guide in the mail today...

Brandon Allen is listed as number 4 for Arizona, Aaron Poreda is number 10 and Dexter Carter is number 28 for San Diego.

And Chris Carter is listed as #1 for the A's.

Shelby is the one who really strikes me as having fallen off the map. He wasn't horrible last year, but he's not exactly a youngster anymore, either...and he's never seemed to have found one position on the diamond. I guess there's an outside possibility he makes it as a super-utility guy like a Willie Harris that can play multiple positions and pinch run.

CJ Retherford has gotten about as much discussion as anyone in our system, but it's pretty clear the scouts don't see him as much of a prospect.

Rodriguez, Escobar and Griffith have a lot of potential.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:33 PM)
1. Shelby is the one who really strikes me as having fallen off the map. He wasn't horrible last year, but he's not exactly a youngster anymore, either...and he's never seemed to have found one position on the diamond. I guess there's an outside possibility he makes it as a super-utility guy like a Willie Harris that can play multiple positions and pinch run.

2. CJ Retherford has gotten about as much discussion as anyone in our system, but it's pretty clear the scouts don't see him as much of a prospect.

1. Shelby had a rough year. But he's still only 24... and probably will be in AAA this year. Regarding his positions... he's an outfielder... it's the only thing he's played the last two years... splitting time between CF and LF. And he has alot more pop in his bat than Willie Harris ever dreamed of.

2. Retherford is never going to make any major prospect lists... because he was undrafted.... he's short... doesn't have a classic ballplayer type body... he didn't really have a position in college... he was hurt most of his senior year. It's sort of like the perfect storm of factors leading to 'no-respect'. But that doesn't mean he lacks talent. His play at all levels of the minors seems to illustrate that there's something there. Obviously he's made a good impression on some people. Now, he's in the major league training camp playing for a shot at a major league roster. So who knows?

Edited by scenario

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 06:40 PM)
Way too much emphasis gets put on to numbers in the minor league system. There, I said it.

Dan Hudson is a pretty good counterexample to this, though. He was one of the best statistical pitchers if not the best (I'm not sure where to check my facts here), and yet he seems to get almost no love at all in these lists.

I think its noteworthy that there are two NDFA's in the Top 30 list there. How many teams can say that? And is that a reflection of really good post-draft scouting, or an indication of how weak our system is? I'm guessing some of each.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 11:32 PM)
I like the list. Glad to see my boy Trayce Thompson getting some love though I'm shocked Clevelan Santeliz is that high on the list.

The Sox as an org are high on him as well, that's the impression I've gotten.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Feb 23, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
It's still crazy to me that Morel has jumped so much higher than Viciedo on some lists. I just don't see it, Dayan is still a much better prospect than Brent imo.

I still like Morel from what I've seen. He has a better more mature approach at the plate than Viciedo and will be a better overall on defense as well. The only thing I think Viciedo does better than Morel is power.

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 01:19 PM)
I still like Morel from what I've seen. He has a better more mature approach at the plate than Viciedo and will be a better overall on defense as well. The only thing I think Viciedo does better than Morel is power.

Morel should have a more mature approach at the plate, he's 2 years older.

QUOTE (danman31 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Morel should have a more mature approach at the plate, he's 2 years older.

Maturity of chronologic age and approach at the plate don't necessarily go together. However, he is older and should be more advanced and I think he is.

(I'm trying to deadpan the dig because it was a good one :notworthy )

Edited by ptatc

QUOTE (ptatc @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
Maturity of chronologic age and approach at the plate don't necessarily go together. However, he is older and should be more advanced and I think he is.

(I'm trying to deadpan the dig because it was a good one :notworthy )

You're right though. Morel does seem to be more polished, but I think people need a better perspective on Viciedo though. It's hard to compare them because Viciedo was playing at a higher level while being 2 years younger. The AFL would have been a great opportunity to see how far Viciedo has come and it just turned into a showcase for Morel.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Feb 24, 2010 -> 09:05 AM)
I think its noteworthy that there are two NDFA's in the Top 30 list there. How many teams can say that? And is that a reflection of really good post-draft scouting, or an indication of how weak our system is? I'm guessing some of each.

The Sox as an org are high on him as well, that's the impression I've gotten.

I think it's more of the former. Let's face it, Remenowsky's numbers were out of this world, he would be on many team's top 30 list with those numbers. C.J. same thing, look at the extra base hits, versatility, he would likely be lower in some farm systems, but still top 30 nonetheless. I do think our system is weak, but I think even in a strong system both guys would get the love.