knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Kids Are All Right...excellent

Red...surprisingly better than I expected, certainly a lot better than Expendables, although that movie had its moment as well

Legend of the Guardians....somewhere between so-so and fairly good, from what I read the 3-D experience was what made it worthwhile and I just saw it on a PC

Invictus...excellent, it's unfortunate they couldn't do a movie like Gandhi about Mandela though, he's (Morgan Freeman) the central theme of the story, but he doesn't quite carry the movie 100%

Still want to see Conviction (H. Swank), 127 Hours, True Grit, The King's Speech, Inside Job, The Black Swan, The Fighter, The Company Men and Blue Valentine....I guess Love and Other Drugs just for gratuitous Anne Hathayway scenes, not unlike that Eva Green movie that was NC-17 way back when.

If it's not worth the time to watch LaOD, just warn me.

Will also try to wade through Eat Pray Love and Due Date.

Has anyone seen Wendy and Lucy (Michelle Williams), A Single Man (Colin Firth), Secretariat or the Diving Bell and the Butterfly? Thumbs up or down?

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 18, 2010 -> 11:19 PM)
The Kids Are All Right...excellent

Red...surprisingly better than I expected, certainly a lot better than Expendables, although that movie had its moment as well

Legend of the Guardians....somewhere between so-so and fairly good, from what I read the 3-D experience was what made it worthwhile and I just saw it on a PC

Invictus...excellent, it's unfortunate they couldn't do a movie like Gandhi about Mandela though, he's (Morgan Freeman) the central theme of the story, but he doesn't quite carry the movie 100%

Still want to see Conviction (H. Swank), 127 Hours, True Grit, The King's Speech, Inside Job, The Black Swan, The Fighter, The Company Men and Blue Valentine....I guess Love and Other Drugs just for gratuitous Anne Hathayway scenes, not unlike that Eva Green movie that was NC-17 way back when.

If it's not worth the time to watch LaOD, just warn me.

Will also try to wade through Eat Pray Love and Due Date.

Has anyone seen Wendy and Lucy (Michelle Williams), A Single Man (Colin Firth), Secretariat or the Diving Bell and the Butterfly? Thumbs up or down?

Why would you watch that unless you were being forced to?

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

QUOTE (iamshack @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 11:02 AM)
I thought the ending was kind of bs, but Denzel is great in everything he does.

QUOTE (CrimsonWeltall @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 11:24 AM)
The ending ruined the whole movie for me.

Going in knowing that there was a surprise twist, I thought it was actually ok. I was expecting something even more far fetched like he was an Angel or something stupid like that.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Dec 19, 2010 -> 06:44 PM)
Why would you watch that unless you were being forced to?

I just like travel movies....and the Indian/ashram/chanting part was underplayed, which they really had no choice without coming across as totally hokey.

Living in Asia, I've never gone to Bali and maybe this gives me more incentive or inducement finally. When I went to Mount Everest/Tibet a couple of months ago, I met a bunch of Indonesians on the trip and they were very kind and welcoming, especially the ones from the Bali/Lombok area of the country.

Finally, Richard Jenkins is one of my favorite character actors, and The Visitor one of my all-time faves for underappreciated movies that are nearly great.

As far as THE BOOK OF ELI goes, I have seen, I think, probably 90-95% of Denzel Washington's movies since his career began...one of the best actors of his generation, since he was on a tv show called St. Elsewhere. Owen Gleiberman from EW.com had this as the worst movie of the year, and it actually kept my interest for most of the time. I already knew the "twist" going in as well (not unlike 127 Hours, if you can even call it a twist)...it was very similar in feeling to THE ROAD, both of them were watchable but not anything I would care to see again for the rest of my life.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Dec 16, 2010 -> 04:20 AM)
Going to try and watch as many movies as I can in the next month while I'm off school. Among the movies on my list:

Spy Game

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Dirty Harry

The Curios Case of Benjamin Button

Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid

You Don't Know Jack

Once Upon A Time In The West

Hotel Rwanda

20,000 Leagues Under The Sea

Spartacus

Dog Day Afternoon

Jonah Hex

Fargo

Unforgiven

Blazing Saddles

Requiem for a Dream

Invictus

The Town

Kick Ass

The Book of Eli

I'll add Kick Ass to the list the others have put out there. Very fun movie.

Why Jonah Hex?

That movie's supposed to be one of the worst of the year.

Just for Megan Fox?

Scott Pilgrim's a bit like a tamer version of Kick-Ass...I like both, about equally, although Pilgrim is definitely more creative/imaginative/humorous.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Dec 20, 2010 -> 07:25 AM)
Why Jonah Hex?

That movie's supposed to be one of the worst of the year.

Just for Megan Fox?

Scott Pilgrim's a bit like a tamer version of Kick-Ass...I like both, about equally, although Pilgrim is definitely more creative/imaginative/humorous.

Ya, it'll probably be bad but I love Josh Brolin and I'm a fan of movies in that time frame.

Chloe....3.5/4.0 stars, wow, Amanda Seyfreid like you've never seen her b4, in the beginning of the movie, she looks like spitting image of Scarlett Johansson, it's the first time she's really played an "adult" role like Anne Hathaway did at a similar point in her career

Chronicles of Narnia....2.50/4 very very blah, missed Peter and Susan's character, this series has gotten progressively worse...the second movie was "okay" but this one just didn't do it for me, the best acting might have been done by a talking mouse and the new snotty English lad was the worst since Jar-Jar Binks

Due Date....just a major misfire, 2.25/4.0, laughs were few and far between for me

That's two movies (Chloe and The Kids Are All Right) that Julianne Moore was just spot-on....she's an incredible actress, she gets compared to Tilda Swinton sometimes but I think she's even better

Edited by caulfield12

Black Swan is neurotic, but beautiful at the same time. Portman does an amazing performance as the ballerina trying to hang on to her ultimate dream while psychologically spiraling out of control. There are actually many similarities between Black Swan and Aronofsky's last film, The Wrestler, which was my favorite of 2008. I like the story in the Wrestler better, but Black Swan is aesthetically more impressive (a lot of black/white, with interesting use of mirrors) and the tense nature of the film allows the score to build more effect.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 09:50 AM)
Black Swan is neurotic, but beautiful at the same time. Portman does an amazing performance as the ballerina trying to hang on to her ultimate dream while psychologically spiraling out of control. There are actually many similarities between Black Swan and Aronofsky's last film, The Wrestler, which was my favorite of 2008. I like the story in the Wrestler better, but Black Swan is aesthetically more impressive (a lot of black/white, with interesting use of mirrors) and the tense nature of the film allows the score to build more effect...

...and of course hotties makin' out.

QUOTE (3E8 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 10:50 AM)
Black Swan is neurotic, but beautiful at the same time. Portman does an amazing performance as the ballerina trying to hang on to her ultimate dream while psychologically spiraling out of control. There are actually many similarities between Black Swan and Aronofsky's last film, The Wrestler, which was my favorite of 2008. I like the story in the Wrestler better, but Black Swan is aesthetically more impressive (a lot of black/white, with interesting use of mirrors) and the tense nature of the film allows the score to build more effect.

I want to see this, but I'm definitely not going to see it in theaters.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:11 AM)
...and of course hotties makin' out.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Dec 21, 2010 -> 11:18 AM)
more than making out, lol. Mila goes downtown

Yes. Clip below doesn't have nudity, but it is NSFW. And it kinda spoils a bit by revealing one of Portman's neurosis.

link

Edited by 3E8