Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Riddler is one of the corniest villains in Batman's rogues' gallery. I don't really see him fitting in the world that Nolan has created. The Nolan brothers and Goyer are going to have to come up with an interesting angle to make him into a compelling foil.

They seem to shy away from bad guys with a supernatural bent such as Clayface, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, ManBat, etc. It would be cool if they could work in a character like Deadshot (one of the world's greatest assasins) as a secondary villain.

Edited by IamtheHBOMB

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 07:36 PM)
The Riddler is one of the corniest villains in Batman's rogues' gallery. I don't really see him fitting in the world that Nolan has created. The Nolan brothers and Goyer are going to have to come up with an interesting angle to make him into a compelling foil.

They seem to shy away from bad guys with a supernatural bent such as Clayface, Killer Croc, Mr. Freeze, ManBat, etc. It would be cool if they could work in a character like Deadshot (one of the world's greatest assasins) as a secondary villain.

You could've said the same about Joker. Then Nolan did his own Joker and it killed. I think it would be the same with Riddler.

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 09:24 PM)
You could've said the same about Joker. Then Nolan did his own Joker and it killed. I think it would be the same with Riddler.

The Riddler is an OCD psycho with a short fuse.

QUOTE (knightni @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 08:27 PM)
The Riddler is an OCD psycho with a short fuse.

I read up on The Riddler a while ago. Wasn't he just basically a genius who wasn't really "bad," but just looking for a worthy adversary? I think I read that he was even a good guy on occasion.

If they use The Riddler, then they'll probably need a secondary villain.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (nitetrain8601 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 08:24 PM)

There is no way the Joker can be considered corny unless you are talking about the old 60s TV show. He has been maiming and murdering people in a variety of ways for decades in the comics. There are many well written stories exploring the intricacies of that character. The Riddler is pretty one dimensional in comparison, but with good writing and casting he could be interesting. With that said, it is going to be really hard to follow Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul and Ledger as the Joker.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 08:46 PM)
I read up on The Riddler a while ago. Wasn't he just basically a genius who wasn't really "bad," but just looking for a worthy adversary? I think I read that he was even a good guy on occasion.

If they use The Riddler, then they'll probably need a secondary villain.

Pretty much. Here is the "Powers and abilities" section of the Wikipedia page:

The Riddler possesses extreme ingenuity in decoding and formulating puzzles of all kinds. His deductive ability has perfused his new role of private detective, in which he is shown to have investigative skills that rival those of the Dark Knight. The Riddler has no superhuman abilities, but is a highly cunning criminal strategist. He is not especially talented in fisticuffs (although his endurance has grown from having to engage in them over the years), but sometimes employs weaponry that exploits his gimmick, such as exploding jigsaw pieces, his infamous question mark cane, known to house a wide variety of technological devices and weapons, and question mark shaped pistols. He is shown to be skilled with engineering and technology, confronting Batman and Robin with unique and elaborate deathtraps.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 10:30 PM)
There is no way the Joker can be considered corny unless you are talking about the old 60s TV show. He has been maiming and murdering people in a variety of ways for decades in the comics. There are many well wrIitten stories exploring the intricacies of that character. The Riddler is pretty one dimensional in comparison, but with good writing and casting he could be interesting. With that said, it is going to be really hard to follow Neeson as Ra's Al Ghul and Ledger as the Joker.

Nicholson's joker was corny in some ways but it was a very creative and dark corniness. It totally worked and was a very interesting interpretation of the character too.

If you're going to use the Riddler...you have to totally divorce him from the Jim Carrey and the Frank Gorshin versions if you want him to fit into the Nolan universe...but you have to do so in a way that's different from how it was done by Ledger with the Joker. It's an interesting challenge for an actor. I'd hope that someone unexpected would get the role so that it could go in a way we didn't expect.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 05:01 AM)
I think Depp would definitely be the best Riddler no doubt about it.

Ugh. Depp is one of those actors that for some reason I just can't stand. I try to avoid anything he's in.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 07:46 AM)
Nicholson's joker was corny in some ways but it was a very creative and dark corniness. It totally worked and was a very interesting interpretation of the character too.

If you're going to use the Riddler...you have to totally divorce him from the Jim Carrey and the Frank Gorshin versions if you want him to fit into the Nolan universe...but you have to do so in a way that's different from how it was done by Ledger with the Joker. It's an interesting challenge for an actor. I'd hope that someone unexpected would get the role so that it could go in a way we didn't expect.

I'll throw this out there...

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 09:41 AM)
I'll throw this out there...

Joseph Gordon-Levitt

whoa man, you are way ahead of everyone else, lol

Zach Snyder(300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians) to direct "The Man of Steel" (superman reboot)

Apparently General Zod is to be the main villain, and Brandon Routh is likely NOT going to return

QUOTE (Felix @ Sep 18, 2010 -> 04:53 PM)
That's what I figured. I don't see why anyone would have to see the movie if they've already read the book. I mean, unless they have some sort of Sandra Bullock fetish or something.

It bothered me how they wrote off the huge role that Sean Tuohy played in Oher's life. That man pulled every string there was to pull for the kid and he was a non-factor in the movie.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 4, 2010 -> 03:17 PM)
i disagree. people didnt think ledger was a joker type actor, because they didnt know what type of joker that nolan was going to portray, but ledger played many different roles(comedy, drama, teeny bopper, hero adventure). david cross has pretty much played the same sort of character with little difference. i like it, i just dont think nolan would want him.

the riddler is going to have an edge, of that im sure

I have three guys in mind for the Riddler. A lot of whom have already been covered.

1. NPH.

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt

3. Alan Tudyk

These guys are all very capable of pulling off the various facets in the Riddler's personality.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 10:47 AM)
whoa man, you are way ahead of everyone else, lol

Zach Snyder(300, Watchmen, Legend of the Guardians) to direct "The Man of Steel" (superman reboot)

Apparently General Zod is to be the main villain, and Brandon Routh is likely NOT going to return

The first one sucked so much that I still haven't even finished watching it.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 11:01 AM)
I have three guys in mind for the Riddler. A lot of whom have already been covered.

1. NPH.

2. Joseph Gordon Levitt

3. Alan Tudyk

These guys are all very capable of pulling off the various facets in the Riddler's personality.

Those last two would work, but I do not want Neil Patrick Harris ANYWHERE NEAR the new Batman franchise. He has had a nice comeback and all, but I'm honestly sick of him. I certainly don't want to see him in a serious role like that.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Oct 5, 2010 -> 03:52 PM)
I'll go with both, 300 being the more sucky.

I can see why a lot of people don't like 300, but at least it provided you with some mindless action. Superman Returns was simply unbearable.

During my Junior year of college, I downloaded it off of one of those DC++ programs and it came in two parts. Once the first part ended, I didn't even have it in me to start the second half. It's been four years and I still haven't even considered finishing it. THAT'S how bad Superman Returns is.