Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 08:20 AM)
New Coen Brothers movie, their first movie with Jeff Bridges since The Big Lebowski

They're going to remake a movie? That doesn't seem like them. I wonder why they would remake a classic like True Grit, instead of a movie that had potential it didn't reach.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:00 AM)
They're going to remake a movie? That doesn't seem like them. I wonder why they would remake a classic like True Grit, instead of a movie that had potential it didn't reach.

Similar but not the same, didn't they direct No Country For Old Men? Because that movie was a pretty much direct treatment of the book, very little added or taken away. NCFOM was new as a film, but it wasn't truly new material either.

QUOTE (NorthSideSox72 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:07 AM)
Similar but not the same, didn't they direct No Country For Old Men? Because that movie was a pretty much direct treatment of the book, very little added or taken away. NCFOM was new as a film, but it wasn't truly new material either.

yeah, but I understand what MM is saying. You dont consider a book translation as a remake, True Grit is a remade John Wayne movie. That isnt the Coen Brothers style normally. However, given their body of work I am willing to say that this will be worth it.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:09 AM)
yeah, but I understand what MM is saying. You dont consider a book translation as a remake, True Grit is a remade John Wayne movie. That isnt the Coen Brothers style normally. However, given their body of work I am willing to say that this will be worth it.

Yes, that's what I meant. And yes again, I'm sure it will be worth seeing.

I just read into it, and they want to do basically the same thing they did with NCFOM (a direct translation from book to screen). The only thing is that, according to Wikipedia, there are not many differences between the novel and the original film. I just don't see the point.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 09:15 AM)
Yes, that's what I meant. And yes again, I'm sure it will be worth seeing.

I just read into it, and they want to do basically the same thing they did with NCFOM (a direct translation from book to screen). The only thing is that, according to Wikipedia, there are not many differences between the novel and the original film. I just don't see the point.

The point is that the Dude is in the movie.

/problem with movie

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)
I'm sure it's good, but it's not something I am raring to see. Definitely something I can wait to see at home.

This is how I feel. The movie might be incredibly well made but the characters and story is just not something I give a damn about.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Sep 28, 2010 -> 01:57 PM)
This is how I feel. The movie might be incredibly well made but the characters and story is just not something I give a damn about.

If a movie doesn't have amazing special effects or there isn't just the fun about being in the theatre to see it, I won't go pay the money to see it in the movies. I'll just wait and watch it at home.

This movie, like most movies, fall into that category.

QUOTE (Brian @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
Really liked THE TOWN

Really hated the fact that Dougie got away. I felt he should of spent his life in jail to keep with the theme of following in his fathers footsteps.

every other movie in the genre ends with the bad guy getting caught. I was happy they did something different.

QUOTE (SoxFan1 @ Sep 29, 2010 -> 11:20 PM)
I'm taking a Film Culture class, and it's really allowed me to watch some great classics. Last week was Treasure of the Sierra Madre and tonight was The African Queen. Humphrey Bogart FTW.

I like Bogart though he is the same person in every movie. Sierra Madre is a good movie. I don't think I've seen the African Queen. Casablanca is still his best performance, but the writing in that movie is so perfect for him that it really can't be topped.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 08:44 AM)
If it's not the most profitable film series of all time, it has to be near the top. I would do the same thing if I were him.

it just seems cheap now

Christopher Nolan now confirmed for Batman 3, says script is being edited

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 09:11 AM)
It can't even be close honestly. Star Wars is The Beatles of the movies.

I kind of figured that, but I wasn't 100% sure.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Sep 30, 2010 -> 09:12 AM)
it just seems cheap now

Christopher Nolan now confirmed for Batman 3, says script is being edited

I agree, but I'd be doing the same exact thing.