Films Thread

knightni

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 11:10 AM)
I thought it was decent too. Definitely not great. Matt Damon was very good, as was the beautiful French actress. I didn't much care for the ending.

Eh, the ending was pretty good.

He touched her hand and didn't have a vision, so she was his chance at a normal life.

I didn't like how they didn't say a word about the girl from the cooking class and what happened to her after she left his apartment. I assume that's to show how he feels about the situation, too. Things were going well between them until she forced him to read her, and then she was out of his life forever just a second later, just how she was out of the movie and never to be heard from again.

Edited by Milkman delivers

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Batman 3 title announced by Nolan

The Dark Knight Rising

The Riddler confirmed NOT to be the villain. Nolan also said “We’ll use many of the same characters as we have all along, and we’ll be introducing some new ones,” which leads to some speculation that a bad guy will return. Seeing how that leaves only Scarecrow, Two face, and Ras Al-Ghul,(not counting Joker, he is confirmed out) there arent too many to choose from

http://screenrant.com/batman-dark-knight-r...-3d-kofi-84760/

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 11:57 AM)
With the Scarecrow's brief appearance in The Dark Knight, I would bet he has a big part.

Since Ras Al Ghul can go from one body to the next, I think it will be him. I believe they even showed Liam Neeson closing his eyes as if to concentrate right before the train he was on crashed.

That doesn't mean they won't have two again because, as you said, Scarecrow's brief appearance in the last movie would hint at his return. He just seemed like more of a petty thief in The Dark Knight, though.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 01:12 PM)
Since Ras Al Ghul can go from one body to the next, I think it will be him. I believe they even showed Liam Neeson closing his eyes as if to concentrate right before the train he was on crashed.

That doesn't mean they won't have two again because, as you said, Scarecrow's brief appearance in the last movie would hint at his return. He just seemed like more of a petty thief in The Dark Knight, though.

I dunno, the idea of suddenly bringing in X-men style powers into the Nolan-Batman universe doesn't really seem to fit with the pattern he's laid out.

I totally agree with you on the scarecrow though. It seemed like he was at best down to being a small time drug dealer in that movie.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 12:30 PM)
I dunno, the idea of suddenly bringing in X-men style powers into the Nolan-Batman universe doesn't really seem to fit with the pattern he's laid out.

I totally agree with you on the scarecrow though. It seemed like he was at best down to being a small time drug dealer in that movie.

I think it'll be Two Face.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 12:35 PM)
I think it'll be Two Face.

Im with you. To kill off two-face after a one day rampage just isnt right. They said harvey dent was dead, nobody ever said two-face was dead.

If Eckhart is involved, we will know soon enough. They cant keep that stuff secret anymore

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 11:26 AM)
Eh, the ending was pretty good.

He touched her hand and didn't have a vision, so she was his chance at a normal life.

I didn't like how they didn't say a word about the girl from the cooking class and what happened to her after she left his apartment. I assume that's to show how he feels about the situation, too. Things were going well between them until she forced him to read her, and then she was out of his life forever just a second later, just how she was out of the movie and never to be heard from again.

Yeah, I got all that, but he must have written one hell of a letter to get her, a French celebrity, to drop everything and run to him, an American stranger. To me, that stretched credibility and seemed kinda sappy, and wasn't in tone with the rest of the picture. The disappearance of the cooking class chick didn't bother me too much. IIRC, he sort of predicted that might happen when he initially refused to read her.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:23 PM)

Yeah, I got all that, but he must have written one hell of a letter to get her, a French celebrity, to drop everything and run to him, an American stranger. To me, that stretched credibility and seemed kinda sappy, and wasn't in tone with the rest of the picture. The disappearance of the cooking class chick didn't bother me too much. IIRC, he sort of predicted that might happen when he initially refused to read her.

They only met each other at the very end. What do you mean by saying that she dropped everything and ran to him? He wrote her a letter, probably telling her that he read her and what he saw, and asked her to meet him a public place in the middle of the day for lunch. He only had a vision that they kissed. How did that stretch credibility?

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:40 PM)

They only met each other at the very end. What do you mean by saying that she dropped everything and ran to him? He wrote her a letter, probably telling her that he read her and what he saw, and asked her to meet him a public place in the middle of the day for lunch. He only had a vision that they kissed. How did that stretch credibility?

She was an international news babe, pretty and famous enough to be the centerpiece of a Blackberry ad campaign. I assume she probably received hundreds of fan letters, and like Erin Andrews, et. al., probably has had her fair share of weirdo fans and stalkers. So some totally random guy at her book signing writes her a letter about his own visions and she goes to meet him (in what was set up as a date-like setting) all by herself? Shoot, she had a male helper with her when she picked up the documents from the doctor-lady and that was in a public place and in broad daylight, too; where was he (or somebody else to watch her back) at the end? Maybe I'm too cynical, but I just don't think Katie Couric, etc. would take a chance like that in "real life." Some people who claim to have visions can be dangerous.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Easy with the black bars. The episode has already aired, no need for spoiler tags...even though I hope to one day catch up on the series.

What you talkin' about, Brian?

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)

She was an international news babe, pretty and famous enough to be the centerpiece of a Blackberry ad campaign. I assume she probably received hundreds of fan letters, and like Erin Andrews, et. al., probably has had her fair share of weirdo fans and stalkers. So some totally random guy at her book signing writes her a letter about his own visions and she goes to meet him (in what was set up as a date-like setting) all by herself? Shoot, she had a male helper with her when she picked up the documents from the doctor-lady and that was in a public place and in broad daylight, too; where was he (or somebody else to watch her back) at the end? Maybe I'm too cynical, but I just don't think Katie Couric, etc. would take a chance like that in "real life." Some people who claim to have visions can be dangerous.

I'm pretty sure the guy that was with her at the clinic was a taxi driver. He never left the car, and he only loaded the trunk up with her paperwork. She then proceeded to sit in the backseat.

Did you notice the way they both looked at each other when their hands touched at the book signing? She noticed something, too. That's probably why she believed it.

Yes, you're being way too cynical.

QUOTE (iamshack @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 08:14 PM)
Watched the Swedish version of The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo last weekend....it was very good, especially considering I had to read the subtitles.

I've heard people complain about subtitles in movies before and I've never understood why it's an issue. Obviously, there are times when subtitles are done badly (flash quickly on and off the screen or are displayed in a way that is difficult to see) - which affects everybody. Do you feel like your attention is divided?

iamshack, you should check out the sequel. If you happen to be a Netflix subscriber, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" was just added to the Instant Watch list.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:45 PM)
James Cameron gonna make Avatar 2 and 3. Does that make me have to see Avatar?

The first one was awful in almost every respect (except for the special effects), so I can't imagine the sequels will be much better from the same team of people.

QUOTE (Brian @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 05:29 PM)
I, um, oh boy. One of my circuits shorted...in my head\

Thought I was in the TV thread with you guys talking SOA

SOA is replayed on Fridays at 10, which is usually when I watch it. So the black bars help IMO.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 05:09 AM)
I've heard people complain about subtitles in movies before and I've never understood why it's an issue. Obviously, there are times when subtitles are done badly (flash quickly on and off the screen or are displayed in a way that is difficult to see) - which affects everybody. Do you feel like your attention is divided?

iamshack, you should check out the sequel. If you happen to be a Netflix subscriber, "The Girl Who Played With Fire" was just added to the Instant Watch list.

I hate when the subtitles are in white but the background of the scene is very bright.

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 27, 2010 -> 08:05 PM)

I'm pretty sure the guy that was with her at the clinic was a taxi driver. He never left the car, and he only loaded the trunk up with her paperwork. She then proceeded to sit in the backseat.

Did you notice the way they both looked at each other when their hands touched at the book signing? She noticed something, too. That's probably why she believed it.

Yes, you're being way too cynical.

I did, and I probably am, but we each watch movies with our individual eyes.

I still thought--given its dramatic intensity up to that point--that the movie made too quick a right turn into "happily ever after" land.

To each his own, though. Overall I still enjoyed it. Glad you did too.

QUOTE (PlaySumFnJurny @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 09:40 AM)
I did, and I probably am, but we each watch movies with our individual eyes.

I still thought--given its dramatic intensity up to that point--that the movie made too quick a right turn into "happily ever after" land.

To each his own, though. Overall I still enjoyed it. Glad you did too.

I agree about the quick turn. And like you, I enjoyed it but didn't love it. I just don't think it's too out there to believe the girl would go meet Damon. Imagine if you had an experience like that that nobody around you understood. Then, one day you suddenly get this strange feeling when a person touches you. I'd want to speak with the person.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 04:09 AM)

Heading to San Francisco for the weekend...rented The Girl Who Played with Fire from iTunes for the flight over...thanks for the heads-up!