Films Thread

knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 10:56 PM)
I really don't like watching movies with subtitles. I feel like all I do is look at the bottom of the screen.

I've heard people I know make this same comment and I feel bad for them in a way -- because I know they will probably miss out on some fantastic movies because they don't like or have a hard time keeping up with subtitles.

I don't think that the experience of watching a foreign language film is much different than watching modern news or sports programs. Those types of shows often have graphics that frequently change as well as scrolling text at the bottom of the screen. There is arguably more for the brain to take in and process in those scenarios than with a subtitled movie.

QUOTE (T R U @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:02 PM)
I dunno, this was suppose to be the last one

I swear they said the same thing for the previous one, too.

EDIT: I could be thinking of Final Destination, but I'm pretty sure both franchises have done it.

Edited by Milkman delivers

QUOTE (Milkman delivers @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 01:04 PM)
I swear they said the same thing for the previous one, too.

EDIT: I could be thinking of Final Destination, but I'm pretty sure both franchises have done it.

Yeah, I remember seeing the only Saw I've ever watched. I think it was Saw 6 and they promoted it partly as the last Saw. They've been saying it for awhile, but it makes too much money, so they're never going to end it.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Oct 28, 2010 -> 11:18 PM)
I've heard people I know make this same comment and I feel bad for them in a way -- because I know they will probably miss out on some fantastic movies because they don't like or have a hard time keeping up with subtitles.

I don't think that the experience of watching a foreign language film is much different than watching modern news or sports programs. Those types of shows often have graphics that frequently change as well as scrolling text at the bottom of the screen. There is arguably more for the brain to take in and process in those scenarios than with a subtitled movie.

Yeah I have a friend that really can't keep up with them. I can keep up but my eyes always stay focused down there so I don't miss something and I have a hard time getting into the movie. I have a hard time getting interested in movies as it is so that really kind of kills any chance.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)
Yeah I have a friend that really can't keep up with them. I can keep up but my eyes always stay focused down there so I don't miss something and I have a hard time getting into the movie. I have a hard time getting interested in movies as it is so that really kind of kills any chance.

Stop watching for the girls to take their tops off. Other things happen in movies you know.

QUOTE (kjshoe04 @ Oct 29, 2010 -> 07:28 PM)

I really wish all movies in movie theaters had subtitles. :(

I can't enjoy movies at the movie theaters because I can't hear everything they're saying, so I miss out on A LOT of the plot because I'm missing out on the dialogue.

So, because of that I only go to the movie theater once a year, if that. :(

I don't think it's fair, though. We have handicapped parking spaces, braille for the blind at entranceways, handicap access ramps for people on wheelchairs, but no subtitles at movie theaters for people who can't hear well.

The movie theater industry is losing a lot of money because there's millions of people like me staying home because movies at movie theaters are not subtitled.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
I really wish all movies in movie theaters had subtitles. :(

I can't enjoy movies at the movie theaters because I can't hear everything they're saying, so I miss out on A LOT of the plot because I'm missing out on the dialogue.

So, because of that I only go to the movie theater once a year, if that. :(

I don't think it's fair, though. We have handicapped parking spaces, braille for the blind at entranceways, handicap access ramps for people on wheelchairs, but no subtitles at movie theaters for people who can't hear well.

The movie theater industry is losing a lot of money because there's millions of people like me staying home because movies at movie theaters are not subtitled.

That;s a terrible idea unless you are talking about a special theater ONLY for people who cant hear..

I wouldn't want to have annoying subtitles on every movie I see

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 4, 2010 -> 06:48 PM)
Don, isnt there special hearing aids for movie theatres if you ask for them?

I never heard of special hearing aids, but here's an article that kind of gives some details about some accomodations that can be made...

http://www.azag.gov/press_releases/april/2...ity%20Case.html

plus, I prefer something along the lines of subtitles, because I'm more visually-inclined when I watch tv and movies. I tend to watch and depend on closed captioning, and I use my ears to listen for what the captioning/subtitles is saying, as if I'm reading along. I hope that makes sense.

QUOTE (T R U @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 12:42 AM)
That;s a terrible idea unless you are talking about a special theater ONLY for people who cant hear..

I wouldn't want to have annoying subtitles on every movie I see

No offense, man, but that reeks of "separate but equal" doctrines that led to the civil rights movement. ADA laws require reasonable accomodations for public facilities, and it's ridiculous that movie theaters have been able to get away with it for so long.

And why should I, and millions of other people with hearing disabilities, be deprived of enjoying a movie just because other people "don't want to see annoying subtitles" on the screen? It's not fair, really.

I think seeing handicap parking spaces in parking lots is annoying, but I put up with it anyway.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)
No offense, man, but that reeks of "separate but equal" doctrines that led to the civil rights movement. ADA laws require reasonable accomodations for public facilities, and it's ridiculous that movie theaters have been able to get away with it for so long.

And why should I, and millions of other people with hearing disabilities, be deprived of enjoying a movie just because other people "don't want to see annoying subtitles" on the screen? It's not fair, really.

I think seeing handicap parking spaces in parking lots is annoying, but I put up with it anyway.

On the flip side, why should people without hearing impairments have to deal with subtitles on the screen? I'm just playing devil's advocate here, but unnecessary subtitles definitely take away from my experience. I've had to sit and watch a TV with subtitles on the screen and I always feel compelled to read them, which I feel is a detriment to my experience.

QUOTE (SouthsideDon48 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 02:36 AM)

"Reasonable accomadations" is a subjective term, and it would be up to a judge to decide what reasonable means in cases like these. Also, its not separate but equal if non hearing impaired individuals can attend the theaters as well. But I don't think an entire theater like that would be the best answer anyways. I definitely think that the theaters should have 1-3 screens that play movies with subtitles. They could rotate the movies every week, so that everyone would get a chance to see all of the movies while they are out.

QUOTE (The Gooch @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:12 AM)
"Reasonable accomadations" is a subjective term, and it would be up to a judge to decide what reasonable means in cases like these. Also, its not separate but equal if non hearing impaired individuals can attend the theaters as well. But I don't think an entire theater like that would be the best answer anyways. I definitely think that the theaters should have 1-3 screens that play movies with subtitles. They could rotate the movies every week, so that everyone would get a chance to see all of the movies while they are out.

They make hearing aids with receivers (t-coils, I think). If the venue (movie theater, concert hall, church, etc.) transmits the audio, you can pick it up. Wouldn't work for the totally deaf, though.