knightni

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

QUOTE (Brian @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 03:13 PM)
Just got back from it. A couple of chuckles but very disappointing. Skip it. Netflix it.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Nov 5, 2010 -> 11:06 PM)
"Due Date" rocked.

Interesting.

In other news, I saw Avatar on Blu Ray and my goodness is visually spectacular. The plot is nice and all, but that's a movie I watch for visual stimulation. Watching Star Trek next.

I also have The Road next up on Netflix, REALLY looking forward to that one.

QUOTE (KyYlE23 @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 05:56 PM)

Does anyone else think the CGI they did on Bridges face looks bad? I really like the trailers for the movie, but every time I see CLU - I get pulled out of the experience. Hopefully, it looks better on the big screen.

QUOTE (IamtheHBOMB @ Nov 9, 2010 -> 10:13 PM)
Does anyone else think the CGI they did on Bridges face looks bad? I really like the trailers for the movie, but every time I see CLU - I get pulled out of the experience. Hopefully, it looks better on the big screen.

CLU doesnt bother me at all. After all, it is the computerized version of Flynn anyways. And I think it really looks as good as can be considering what Jeff Bridges looks like now

Very early Top 10 List for 2010 (especially considering that I haven't seen many indie/art house type movies since I've been in Thailand and China virtually the entire year)

Note, this also isn't an "Oscar List" per se, just my favorites, fwiw. I haven't seen Inside Job, Waiting for Superman, I started watching Animal Kingdom on the net but the bootleg copy, the Australian accents are very tough to pick up because of the distortion.

1. Inception

2. The Social Network

3. How to Train Your Dragon

4. The Town

5. Toy Story 3

6. Winter's Bone

7. Shutter Island

8. Unstoppable (see review below)

9. Scott Pilgrim Vs. The World (for creativity)

10. Despicable Me and Megamind (haven't seen Megamind yet, but I've heard they are very similar "anti-hero" movies, saw Despicable Me in 3D and thought it was very well done)

As far as Unstoppable goes, I read one review that spent thousands of words criticizing Tony Scott's erratic and choppy, let's say testosterone-laden film style. I don't know what the hell happened, I guess this dude was sitting in the front five rows, but I thought it was a very good action movie, right up there with Inception, but obviously not so intellectual or twisting in terms of the plot. I never once felt sick to my stomach or disoriented or annoyed with the film...so I chalk this up entirely to the reviewer's sitting too close to the screen.

Chris Pine shows signs of having a lot more acting chops than the likes of Freddie Prinze, Jr., or Josh Hartnett. He really held his own against one of my favorite all-time actors, Denzel Washington. Rosario Dawson was also strong in a supporting role, another fave of mine.

Another common thread in the reviews is the timeliness of this movie. That it reflects the crossroads of American history, especially since it's taking place mostly in Pennsylvania and similar Rust Belt cities...these cities were once the heart of manufacturing, but the jobs have basically disappeared. It doesn't belabor the management/suits as the bad guys (except for Kevin Dunn's character), but it does put forth the idea of the selfless American hero as perhaps something that's disappearing, American exceptionalism, whatever you want to call it. In that sense, it was a bit like Seabiscuit or the Russell Crowe boxing movie, with the heroes being on the ropes but not down for the count, so to speak.

In some ways, it also reminded me of the Spielberg movie Duel, it's a VERY simplistic plot, obviously....but it keeps you guessing and almost on the edge of your seat for most of the movie once the suspense starts building with the train getting lose.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 12:44 AM)
Best movie of the year. Sure it's highly stylized and possibly overly clever but it's just so much god damn fun. I love Edgar Wright.

Loved Scott Pilgrim, but can't say best movie of the year in my eyes. I'll probably get the Blu Ray for X-mas.

I can't remember if 500 Days (of Summer) was 09 or this year...but that's another movie in the Scott Pilgrim genre (minus the cartoon/fighting elements) that was pretty enjoyable.

I think it's one of those movies that's either sort of appreciated or loved, especially depending on your feelings for Z. Deschanel.

Kick-Ass also has similar stylistic points, but my God that movie is violent (moreso than Machete, arguably), especially with such a young teenager starring in the role. But it has kind of put her on the map.

Anyone heard anything about Black Swan, the new Natalie Portman movie?

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Nov 13, 2010 -> 03:46 AM)
Anyone heard anything about Black Swan, the new Natalie Portman movie?

It stole the show at a recent film festival in my city. A couple of my friends had tickets and were blown away. It is killing on IMDb right now too. I became a much bigger Aronofsky fan after The Wrestler (my personal favorite of '08). So I am very much looking forward to it

Saw 'Four Lions' last night. It's a very dark comedy about four idiotic British Muslim extremists trying to figure out and execute their jihad. I highly recommend it if you have an indie movie theater by you because it was lol funny throughout and totally original

QUOTE (knightni @ Nov 12, 2010 -> 08:26 PM)
Skyline should have been released on SyFy.

Skyline was the first movie, ever, that I have willingly gone to see and didn't like at all..

holy crap was that movie bad