ST: Mariners vs. White Sox 2:05 CST

justBLAZE

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:15 PM)
Melton butchering Markakis's name. One of the better players the last few years. Come on, Bill. Get with it.

I didn't hear it, did he say Mar-cack (as in yack) -is? As opposed to the correct "cake" pronounciation?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
According to Ranger, it's still "early" to ride him out.. though many of us knew.. he was a long shot unless he pitched very well (1-2 era), or Santos, Hudson, Torres, etc.. all had 8 eras which I called a while back.

So, you're saying it's not still early? It's March 8. I'm pretty sure they haven't decided after one spring outing that he has no chance.

I know that you say everyone "knows" what his fate was going to be, but to be fair, people always seem to "know" something is going to happen that doesn't. Like people just "knew" that Gavin Floyd had missed his window of opportunity to be a major leaguer and "knew" that his curveball didn't curve anymore. Obviously, neither of those things was true.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:09 PM)
It's pretty simple.

Putz is pronounced "puhts" as in Yiddish for penis/fool

But JJ pronounces it "pŏŏts" as in "puts" due to its Yiddish definition.

Somehow the announcer has decided his name is "poots" which I have never heard before.

Thanks Kal. Somewhere in my post that is what I meant.

I felt pretty confident in writing off Cabrera when he went from the Oriole's future ace to the 12th man in the D-Backs bullpen within three years. He has done nothing to prove that he's anything but a thrower with no control. Optimism is fine, but it's not too early to write off Cabrera. It's been pretty clear that this was the direction he was going towards for a few years.

QUOTE (Ranger @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:21 PM)
So, you're saying it's not still early? It's March 8. I'm pretty sure they haven't decided after one spring outing that he has no chance.

I know that you say everyone "knows" what his fate was going to be, but to be fair, people always seem to "know" something is going to happen that doesn't. Like people just "knew" that Gavin Floyd had missed his window of opportunity to be a major leaguer and "knew" that his curveball didn't curve anymore. Obviously, neither of those things was true.

No it is early.. but it was a longshot he was gonna make the team, unless what I said about him pitching en fuego, and/or the others really sucking which I said before.. BTW.. this is his second or third outing I believe.. has givin up 2+ runs in each outing. And go back to the trade for Floyd. Some liked it.. some didn't. I was the few who liked it since I follow prospects.

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:24 PM)
I felt pretty confident in writing off Cabrera when he went from the Oriole's future ace to the 12th man in the D-Backs bullpen within three years. He has done nothing to prove that he's anything but a thrower with no control. Optimism is fine, but it's not too early to write off Cabrera. It's been pretty clear that this was the direction he was going towards for a few years.

Agreed 100%.

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 10:02 PM)
According to Ranger, it's still "early" to ride him out.. though many of us knew.. he was a long shot unless he pitched very well (1-2 era), or Santos, Hudson, Torres, etc.. all had 8 eras which I called a while back.

It could be game 160 of the season, and certain people would say it's still too early to make a call on a person's ability.

QUOTE (flavum @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:33 PM)
De Aza looks pretty good. He'll probably be up at some point this year.

I agree. If Kotsay falls flat on his face, this guy good be looking at some serious at-bats. But that probably won't happen.

QUOTE (Jerksticks @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
I agree. If Kotsay falls flat on his face, this guy good be looking at some serious at-bats. But that probably won't happen.

Eh, if Kotsay falls flat on his face Andruw Jones steps in and gets those ABs. If Andruw Jones falls flat on his face and we're still in contention someone outside the organization gets those ABs. However, if Juan Pierre hits the DL for an extended period of time that could mean an opportunity for De Aza.

De Aza's a slap hitting speedster with next to no power, he's not a viable option as a DH replacement, of course neither is Mark Kotsay.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:26 PM)
No it is early.. but it was a longshot he was gonna make the team, unless what I said about him pitching en fuego, and/or the others really sucking which I said before.. BTW.. this is his second or third outing I believe.. has givin up 2+ runs in each outing. And go back to the trade for Floyd. Some liked it.. some didn't. I was the few who liked it since I follow prospects.

There were far more people against that trade then there were people for it. I remember vividly the "they didn't get enough for Freddy" comments.

This is now his Cabrera's second appearance. I'll admit that we've been having some web issues at teh station today and I wasn't aware Cabrera was pitching while we were conversing. THe box score doesn't catch up quite fast enough either. With every poor outing, Cabrera will obviously push himself out of the mix, but after one outing, you cannot dismiss a guy that has his arm. Especially when he's 28 and coming to a new organization. Thornton was the same age as Cabrera (actually a little younger) when the Sox picked him up. There is a reason teams don't give up on pitchers like fans do.

QUOTE (fathom @ Mar 8, 2010 -> 04:36 PM)
It could be game 160 of the season, and certain people would say it's still too early to make a call on a person's ability.

For a rookie, yeah, it would be too early.