JD is not a good defensive RF

GREEDY

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:01 AM)
How the hell is JD out of baseball at 36?

Pride or I suppose stubbornness though I suppose the two go hand in hand.

He's been banking on his past production landing him a starting RF/1B gig with an acceptable club but what he fails to comprehend is that when you're 36, coming off a bad year and incapable of doing the things in the field that once came easily to you the teams won't exactly be lining up with $10M deals in hand pleading for the honor of granting you a starting job. He could easily have signed by now, there have been more than a few suitors but he's having trouble coming to grips with his own fading ability and his pride is getting in the way of him accepting a diminished role.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 12:43 AM)
At the same point who cares, calling people out sometimes lead to good discussions and we are all adults or at least highschoolers on this message board no need to be so overly protective.

We at Soxtalk care.

As an adult, you shouldn't have to stoop to the level of an insulting child just to have a sports discussion. Thus, our personal attacks policy.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 02:10 AM)
Great answer Kalapse. I would think someday he'll regret his stance. Baseball is a pretty easy job. He could make $1 mill a year plus incentives easily to hit a f***ing baseball. He is being dumb.

Couldn't have said it better myself.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:41 AM)
We at Soxtalk care.

As an adult, you shouldn't have to stoop to the level of an insulting child just to have a sports discussion. Thus, our personal attacks policy.

He didnt name any specific person in his post so there was no personal attack in this instance and you all are making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Edited by GoodAsGould

QUOTE (greg775 @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 01:10 AM)
Great answer Kalapse. I would think someday he'll regret his stance. Baseball is a pretty easy job. He could make $1 mill a year plus incentives easily to hit a f***ing baseball. He is being dumb.

Texas and the Cubs were willing to pay him over $3 million.

QUOTE (Kalapse @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 06:38 AM)
Pride or I suppose stubbornness though I suppose the two go hand in hand.

He's been banking on his past production landing him a starting RF/1B gig with an acceptable club but what he fails to comprehend is that when you're 36, coming off a bad year and incapable of doing the things in the field that once came easily to you the teams won't exactly be lining up with $10M deals in hand pleading for the honor of granting you a starting job. He could easily have signed by now, there have been more than a few suitors but he's having trouble coming to grips with his own fading ability and his pride is getting in the way of him accepting a diminished role.

All that being said, and I think it probably applies to others in the game also, JD is still a productive player. Should he have looked at a IB/RF/DH type role maybe, but he still has the talent to compete. I think we just see baseball for what it is and that's a business plain and simple

People have posted that guys should play for the love of the game or for the competition. Fact of the matter is, it's a job. And one he's done for a long time. It is a lot of time on the road and away from family and friends. It's living in nice hotel rooms, but hotel rooms. I can see him passing on a nice 75% pay cut. For many people here, playing in MLB is a dream. Well it is a dream he's already lived.

Perhaps he'll turn up as a mid year pick up.

QUOTE (GoodAsGould @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 09:43 AM)
He didnt name any specific person in his post so there was no personal attack in this instance and you all are making it a bigger deal than it needs to be.

Dude just smile and nod.

can see him passing on a nice 75% pay cut. For many people here, playing in MLB is a dream. Well it is a dream he's already lived.

Perhaps he'll turn up as a mid year pick up.

Well put. Thing is, if he's a mid year pick up, it'll be the same deal, maybe even lower pay. Because obviously at that point he has to play in AAA for 2 weeks or so to get his hitting in gear and get in playing shape.

You are probably right though. He's already lived the dream and doesn't care about adding to his career stats in any way.

I wonder if he ever wants to coach. Retiring at 36 can get mighty boring I'd think. He seems well spoken. Maybe he'll become an ESPN analyst.

QUOTE (lostfan @ Mar 24, 2010 -> 07:22 PM)
Dude just smile and nod.

This cat sealed his fate when he criticized anyone who owned a jersey with a players name on the back. Stevie Wonder saw this coming...