JD is not a good defensive RF

GREEDY

For years on this board and others, I have bashed Dye's defense in RF and I have been met with a fair share of protest.

Some more dellusional than others, but for the most part it seemed that more people than not think JD was/is a solid option in RF.

And clearly, a strong majority, if not all MLB GMs seem to believe that Jermaine cannot play as an everday outfielder; and JD doesn't want to be paid as a 4th OF or DH, hence the current extra time to spend with the fam.

So what rock did all of you crawl under this offseason? And is Hawk or Rongey under there with you?

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 09:59 PM)
For years on this board and others, I have bashed Dye's defense in RF and I have been met with a fair share of protest.

Some more dellusional than others, but for the most part it seemed that more people than not think JD was/is a solid option in RF.

And clearly, a strong majority, if not all MLB GMs seem to believe that Jermaine cannot play as an everday outfielder; and JD doesn't want to be paid as a 4th OF or DH, hence the current extra time to spend with the fam.

So what rock did all of you crawl under this offseason? And is Hawk or Rongey under there with you?

You have it completely backward. I believe the majority of posters knew he wasn't a great outfielder, especially in the last three years.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 20, 2010 -> 08:59 PM)

You sure you got the right board?

Screw you! Those long galloping strides out there made up for tons of ground on balls he didn't track off the bat right away! He was the type of player you knew would always be willing to sacrifice his body at the fence if only he could beat the ball there. On top of all of that, the man was what...6 foot 4? Massive height advantage that most right fielders don't have. He was and always will be the greatest defensive right fielder in Sox history!

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 12:24 AM)
Screw you! Those long galloping strides out there made up for tons of ground on balls he didn't track off the bat right away! He was the type of player you knew would always be willing to sacrifice his body at the fence if only he could beat the ball there. On top of all of that, the man was what...6 foot 4? Massive height advantage that most right fielders don't have. He was and always will be the greatest defensive right fielder in Sox history!

:lolhitting

If he could get within range of the ball, he could make some catches (that he wouldn't need to if he were faster) and he could play the wall well.

That's about it though, his range sucked.

:lolhitting

If he could get within range of the ball, he could make some catches (that he wouldn't need to if he were faster) and he could play the wall well.

That's about it though, his range sucked.

I do recall a couple of catches right at the fence or him jumping up at the fence. He was not afraid of the Cell fence at all.

QUOTE (chisoxfan09 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 05:54 AM)
I do recall a couple of catches right at the fence or him jumping up at the fence. He was not afraid of the Cell fence at all.

Obviously Wise's catch was more impressive and remembered, but if I recall correctly, JD snagged a ball from the top of the fence in the early innings.

Or maybe it was the No-Hitter...

FWIW, threads started with veiled personal attacks aren't any better than responses with them. Consider this a warning.

:lolhitting Did that feel good? Put your finger in your ears, stick out your tongue, and repeat your post. Most posters here have the baseball acumen to accurately access JD's defense. They can also discuss his strengths and weaknesses like adults instead of like a bunch of 3rd graders on a playground.

I read the thread title, rubbed my eyes, and it was still there. I made a pot of coffee, chugged it, and thread was still there. I slapped myself a few times, and it was still there. So, I've decided to see a doctor...maybe I had a stroke and I don't know it.

QUOTE (Markbilliards @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 06:24 AM)

I agree. Plus Greedy has no business making insulting comments to people on this board. He has ewvery right to express his opinion and have his side heard as we all do, but being nasty isn't right

I'm pretty sure the only person the past 3 or 4 years that said Dye was anything but a bad defensive player at this point was Hawk Harrelson, and even he now says the OF defense is vastly improved and it isn't because Juan Pierre will be throwing flyballs back to the infield from LF.

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 10:07 AM)
FWIW, threads started with veiled personal attacks aren't any better than responses with them. Consider this a warning.

Personal attacks? What are you talking about? A warning? For what?

QUOTE (elrockinMT @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 12:27 PM)
I agree. Plus Greedy has no business making insulting comments to people on this board. He has ewvery right to express his opinion and have his side heard as we all do, but being nasty isn't right

Who did I insult? What the f***!

Your original title was (intentionally or unintentionally) challenging people to attack you and your opinion by "calling them out" on their own opinions of JD.

The site doesn't need people starting threads while phrasing things in that way. It just makes people upset.

QUOTE (GREEDY @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 03:26 PM)
Who did I insult? What the f***!

Most people would believe it is insulting to be called delusional and being asked what rock you crawled under. The opurpose of the trhead was not to discuss or even debate a player and his abilities, the thread was basically you calling out posters who disagreed with you.

But I can see where you are confused over who was insulted because the list of people that disagreed with you about Dye's defense is basically zero from any threads I could find in a search.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 21, 2010 -> 04:29 PM)
Your original title was (intentionally or unintentionally) challenging people to attack you and your opinion by "calling them out" on their own opinions of JD.

The site doesn't need people starting threads while phrasing things in that way. It just makes people upset.

At the same point who cares, calling people out sometimes lead to good discussions and we are all adults or at least highschoolers on this message board no need to be so overly protective.