Final Four

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If I Butler wins the championship I bet they will make changes to the tourny. Im not saying they should but I could just see the committee freaking out because a mid major made it and they make something that makes it harder for them, like expanding to 96 teams.

QUOTE (SockMe @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 02:02 AM)
If I Butler wins the championship I bet they will make changes to the tourny. Im not saying they should but I could just see the committee freaking out because a mid major made it and they make something that makes it harder for them, like expanding to 96 teams.

I couldn't agree more. I think Butler just making the Final Four makes the expansion more likely, but if they win the whole thing, (and they have a legitimate chance to do it) the powers that be will for sure freak out and expand the tournament.

I'm so happy for Butler though. They've had a lot of things go their way in this tournament, but they are such a resiliant and good group of kids, and having followed them closely the last four years, I'm happy they got this payoff of playing in the Final Four in their hometown. Hopefully they can figure out a way to win two more games.

Edited by whitesoxfan101

QUOTE (southsider2k5 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
If only they could play at Hinkle and let the world see what a basketball arena should look like.

Such an awesome place to watch basketball. A feeling of the purity of the game, the reasons why people play it in the first place, ovecomes you when you watch a game there. Or that's how I have felt at least when I've went there.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 11:54 AM)
Butler or Tennessee is going to win this whole damn thing.

You would think people would stop writing off an Izzo coached team.

So many people had Ohio St or Tennessee just walking into the Final Four at the beginning of the week.

QUOTE (knightni @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 07:15 PM)
Damn. I'm sick of Duke making it all the time.

And if Duke wins it, it maybe the weakest National Title ever. Weak region, no more number 1 seeds and will face a #5 seed in the title game.

I can't think of a National Title team in the past decade that this Duke team could beat.

QUOTE (Brian @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 07:18 PM)
And if Duke wins it, it maybe the weakest National Title ever. Weak region, no more number 1 seeds and will face a #5 seed in the title game.

I can't think of a National Title team in the past decade that this Duke team could beat.

The National Champion this year will be the weakest one of the last decade no matter who wins. The only exception to this I can think of is MAYBE West Virginia if they win, but even they would be an exceptionally weak winner.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan101 @ Mar 28, 2010 -> 11:58 AM)
I couldn't agree more. I think Butler just making the Final Four makes the expansion more likely, but if they win the whole thing, (and they have a legitimate chance to do it) the powers that be will for sure freak out and expand the tournament.

I'm so happy for Butler though. They've had a lot of things go their way in this tournament, but they are such a resiliant and good group of kids, and having followed them closely the last four years, I'm happy they got this payoff of playing in the Final Four in their hometown. Hopefully they can figure out a way to win two more games.

If the NCAA had any brains they'd realize the exact opposite is true. I guarantee a Butler-Duke national championship game would not only beat viewing records, but would shatter them. EVERYONE who likes college basketball would watch the David v Goliath match, more so than two decent teams going at it. The best hope each year for the championship is that the two favorites make it (e.g., ILL-UNC, KAN-MEM, etc), or you get an unknown mid-major that makes a run for the history books. Those years become memorable and make the experience and history of the tourney 100 times more special.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:08 PM)
If the NCAA had any brains they'd realize the exact opposite is true. I guarantee a Butler-Duke national championship game would not only beat viewing records, but would shatter them. EVERYONE who likes college basketball would watch the David v Goliath match, more so than two decent teams going at it. The best hope each year for the championship is that the two favorites make it (e.g., ILL-UNC, KAN-MEM, etc), or you get an unknown mid-major that makes a run for the history books. Those years become memorable and make the experience and history of the tourney 100 times more special.

Really? I don't think a Butler/Duke final would even approach any kind of viewing records. Butler was a 5 seed so its not like they are some crazy Cinderella story, and the casual college basketball viewer isnt always interested in teams they dont really know about. You get the most viewers when its two awesome teams, that are from large markets or have huge alumni/fanbases, like your second point. A Kentucky/Kansas final would have had such a higher viewship than Butler/Duke or anything like that.

The year George Mason made the Final Four, the year of the upset, I will remember for one main reason. It was easily the worst final four I have ever watched, just bad, bad basketball.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
Really? I don't think a Butler/Duke final would even approach any kind of viewing records. Butler was a 5 seed so its not like they are some crazy Cinderella story, and the casual college basketball viewer isnt always interested in teams they dont really know about. You get the most viewers when its two awesome teams, that are from large markets or have huge alumni/fanbases, like your second point. A Kentucky/Kansas final would have had such a higher viewship than Butler/Duke or anything like that.

The year George Mason made the Final Four, the year of the upset, I will remember for one main reason. It was easily the worst final four I have ever watched, just bad, bad basketball.

Yeah, but it's Butler. It's the Hoosiers story played out in real life. Sure it's not that extreme, but no casual fan knows anything about Butler.

I dunno, upsets/special stories are what made the tournament what it is. As viewers we remember awesome performances and huge upsets. I think Butler winning it all would be nearly as memorable as a 16 beating a 1.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:45 PM)
Yeah, but it's Butler. It's the Hoosiers story played out in real life. Sure it's not that extreme, but no casual fan knows anything about Butler.

I dunno, upsets/special stories are what made the tournament what it is. As viewers we remember awesome performances and huge upsets. I think Butler winning it all would be nearly as memorable as a 16 beating a 1.

I agree that its an awesome story, and the memories would last forever in the college basketball world. However, when talking about TV ratings, it just doesnt attract as many viewers. The casual fan who knows nothing about Butler, is less likely to watch the game due to that fact. I'm not saying thats right or fair, but thats just the way it usually goes ratings-wise.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ Mar 29, 2010 -> 01:59 PM)
I agree that its an awesome story, and the memories would last forever in the college basketball world. However, when talking about TV ratings, it just doesnt attract as many viewers. The casual fan who knows nothing about Butler, is less likely to watch the game due to that fact. I'm not saying thats right or fair, but thats just the way it usually goes ratings-wise.

After a week of hype, everyone will know about Butler.