GAME THREAD: 4/8, CLE v CHW, 7:10pm CSN+

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Pierre has a 80-85% chance of stealing that base.

Gordon has a 90% chance of getting that bunt down.

I'd take my 80-85% then I'd take a bunt to move Pierre to third. Giving up an out with a guy still on second isn't smart, you still need a hit to get him in.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 9, 2010 -> 03:22 AM)
I'm not saying I'd have done this with Beckham up, but I understand the logic in it and I don't think its a terrible move. Now we have 2 guys up (2 of our 3 best bats) and all it takes is a basehit by one of them and we win.

Put it this way...if he didn't have Beckham bunt in the 7th, but did in the 9th, I would have been ok with it. I just don't want to see this be a common theme.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:21 PM)
What is the point of having a leadoff hitter who can steal a base if you always just bunt?

Sometimes you bunt because it is the safer play. I'd think about sending Pierre but I can't get too pissed at this move because it is a solid move. Maybe not the best move given how solid Beckham is, but there is no guarantee he steals the base. It isn't like this is the dumbest possible decision ever made. Torre, LaRussa probably make this move, same with Bobby Cox. Scioscia would too.

4 of the best in baseball would so why am I gonna rip the s*** out of Ozzie for doing it?

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Put it this way...if he didn't have Beckham bunt in the 7th, but did in the 9th, I would have been ok with it. I just don't want to see this be a common theme.

You know bloody well this is going to be normal.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:24 PM)
Sometimes you bunt because it is the safer play. I'd think about sending Pierre but I can't get too pissed at this move because it is a solid move. Maybe not the best move given how solid Beckham is, but there is no guarantee he steals the base. It isn't like this is the dumbest possible decision ever made. Torre, LaRussa probably make this move, same with Bobby Cox. Scioscia would too.

4 of the best in baseball would so why am I gonna rip the s*** out of Ozzie for doing it?

I think that they might hesitate if they were holding Beckham, unless they didn't have confidence in his ability to hit the ball to the RH side.

QUOTE (fathom @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 08:23 PM)
Yep, that's why you don't bunt.

Even if you stole the base and than bunted...they'd still have walked Quentin and there is a shot they'd have walked Paulie too to face Andruw Jones.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
I'm surprised you guys don't realize it's up to our players. Man on second, one out ain't bad odds.

A good team gets the single and wins it.

I like our fastest player on first with our phenom swinging for the fences a lot better then him giving himself up.

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Apr 8, 2010 -> 11:26 PM)
Even if you stole the base and than bunted...they'd still have walked Quentin and there is a shot they'd have walked Paulie too to face Andruw Jones.

Who cares? You've got the runner on 3rd with less than 2 outs. I'd take that situation over any setup with the guy on 2nd. Hell, I'd take Kotsay batting in that spot. A weak ground ball wins the game.