If you're KW, who's on your BIG BOARD to replace Ozzie?

caulfield12

Here's a list to start with, feel free to argue/debate:

Cora (no way)

Walker (maybe he would be better than as a hitting coach?)

Joel Skinnner (White Sox ties)

Alan Trammell

Steve Stone/DJ/Singleton (joking)

Buddy Bell

Don Cooper (I think Fathom and I are both in this camp)

Don Baylor

Bob Brenly

Bobby Valentine

Davey Johnson

Don Mattingly

Terry Pendleton

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Ozzie goes, I don't want anyone from the current coaching staff. I also don't think Coop would be good with the press. He'd be like Piniella, only worse.

Mattingly is replacing Torre. That's a done deal.

Truthfully, Bob Brenly would be an interesting candidate.

I'll reiterate.

Ozzie, at the Ballpark in Arlington, one of the true hitters' paradises....started an AL (NOT NL) line-up with the worst cumulative OPS across the nine starting players (Pierre, AJ, Kotsay, Vizquel at 2 spot, Ramirez....even Quentin was in the mid 600's at the beginning of the game) in the HISTORY OF MLB after April 28th.

We had only four legit (counting CQ despite the recent slump) threats in the line-up. Beckham and Jones were both sitting.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Joel Skinner might be interesting.

But, there's no point to "Fire Ozzie" threads now anyway.

If he goes, it'll be after the season.

If he goes after the season, maybe La Russa comes back.

Ozzie goes somewhere else - Braves?

QUOTE (knightni @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:49 PM)
Joel Skinner might be interesting.

But, there's no point to "Fire Ozzie" threads now anyway.

If he goes, it'll be after the season.

Not so sure....Ozzie had a hard time dealing with 2007, and that season was really only atrocious for 2-3 months.

This one has a chance to get out of hand in a hurry. Thankfully the Tigers came back to life and rallied from a 6-1 deficit or it would have been a 4 1/2 game lead already, with the Sox a scary 7 games back.

Other than 1983, no Sox team has come back from a bigger deficit (they were 16-24, to end up 99-63) this early in the season to make it back into legitimate contention.

i think the oddest thing is that this team is ozzies. He's said as much, it's clear. This was the ozzie in 2004 that would say you can't win the derby with a donkey. How the f*** do you campaign to get a roster full of s***ty players just because ... yeah, it's easier because you can rest them easier. Like he found this one annoying part of his job and obsessed over it until it became his sole focus. Like a manager of a restaurant who ignored the food and focused solely on the annoyance of juggling schedules, until he hired a bunch of s***ty waiters because they had the most flexible hours.

It's embarrassing. But...yeah. Um. At least the DH isn't singlehandedly causing this team to self-destruct...other players suck too. Rongey was right.

QUOTE (daggins @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:54 PM)
If he goes after the season, maybe La Russa comes back.

Ozzie goes somewhere else - Braves?

LaRussa wants a competitive team. And one of the highest 3 salaries among managers. Would JR break his 30 year tradition of having low salaried/inexperienced managers who aren't paid elite managerial salaries?

Doubtful. But JR has a pretty good relationship with JR, and spending money there (on a truly elite level manager) makes more sense than wasting it on Juan Pierre, Mark Kotsay, Omar Vizquel and Scott Linebrink.

Still, the greatest manager in baseball couldn't do much with this team as currently comprised.

Actually, if they're going to outbit someone, they should have tried to pry Gardenhire away from the Twins after 2007.

A couple of more "Soxie" names you can throw into mix: Fisk (DOUBTFUL), McDowell (JR has a testy relationship with him, so doubtful), Ventura (wait 3-5 more years for his kids to get older), Lance Johnson (my favorite all-time Sox player) and Chris Singleton. Ray Durham? Ron Karkovice? Seems former catchers are usually among the best managers, 40-50% of time.

Edited by caulfield12

It'll be some boring guy like Buddy Bell, somebody who won't ever say anything controversial and the team will still just be as good as the players.

Nobody could manage this trainwreck of a roster to greatness.

I'd bring Whitey Herzog out of retirement if he's under 90.

I know he still lives in St. Looie.

But rest assured it'll be one of those boring quotes like Trey Hillman (I didn't say Trey Hillman, but a boring persona) and the outspoken fans on this board will be just as pissed at the new skipper's lineups and in-game decisions.

Ozzie has proven that with talent he can win; without talent he's as bad as the rest.

He will get another managing job immediately. He has a f***ing strong track record no matter what his detractors say. Oh, I forgot, our division is pathetic and his success here should be taken for granted. Give me a break. oz is as good as anybody we'll bring in.

Edited by greg775

I'm glad I'm not a walking cliche and always thnk firing the manager or playing the second-string quarterback is a good idea.

Players win games, folks. Oz may have told KW what kind of team he wanted, but KW is the guy who puts the roster together. Oz didn't put a gun to his head and threaten to kill him if he didn't acquire some of the stiffs he acquired.

QUOTE (greg775 @ Apr 29, 2010 -> 05:15 AM)
I'm glad I'm not a walking cliche and always thnk firing the manager or playing the second-string quarterback is a good idea.

Players win games, folks. Oz may have told KW what kind of team he wanted, but KW is the guy who puts the roster together. Oz didn't put a gun to his head and threaten to kill him if he didn't acquire some of the stiffs he acquired.

And I'll counter that Ozzie decided on his own that the current roster didn't need Jim Thome.

No to Cooper. He's much better suited as a pitching coach.

My personal favorite.. Dave Martinez. If he's anything like Maddon, I'll be very happy. Thing is.. guys like Pierre, Kotsay, etc.. possibly AJ (though that's just me talking there as I never liked his offensive production even though he's a tremendous baseball I.Q.) have to go.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 10:51 PM)
I'll reiterate.

Ozzie, at the Ballpark in Arlington, one of the true hitters' paradises....started an AL (NOT NL) line-up with the worst cumulative OPS across the nine starting players (Pierre, AJ, Kotsay, Vizquel at 2 spot, Ramirez....even Quentin was in the mid 600's at the beginning of the game) in the HISTORY OF MLB after April 28th.

We had only four legit (counting CQ despite the recent slump) threats in the line-up. Beckham and Jones were both sitting.

Holy s***, and you have to believe that someone looked at our lineup, laughed, and thought to themself "I wonder how bad this lineup is historically?" before looking it up.

If anyone is replacing Guillen, it will be Cora or some other past White Sox player. I've heard the, "The organizastion hires from within so the employees know the tradition of the team" enough times to guide my decision.

QUOTE (bmags @ Apr 28, 2010 -> 11:21 PM)
GUYS IT IS JUST THE FACT THAT IT IS STILL COLD CHILL DUDES

Game time temperature was 78 degrees, and it's a FACT that Peavy prefers 79 degrees and above. When it went up that one degree is when he began pitching well!

I'm not worried anymore!

Edited by Flash Tizzle