Official 2010 World Cup Thread

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 02:29 PM)
The Czechs were equal to the Dutch going into the WC and we all know how Italy did.

That's a bit of a stretch. The Dutch are a traditional power and the Czechs aren't even a lock to make the tournament (see this year). Ghana was in a deep, but not tough group this year, and only scored from the penalty spot. I would assume Ghana doesn't make it out of the 2 groups CIV was in and the argument could be reversed. Sure, you'd rather be in Ghana's situation, but I still think Ivory Coast is the better team.

• Replies 848
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 2006 Czech team was coming off a semifinal appearance in the 2004 Euros and beat the Dutch in the group stages. The Netherlands did return the favor in the 2006 WCQ stage where the Dutch finished first and the Czechs second.

No one would argue the Netherlands being the more consistent team and a traditional powerhouse. But going into Germany, the Czechs were a strong side.

QUOTE (zenryan @ Jun 25, 2010 -> 12:23 PM)
Yeah they had tough groups but they are a good team so more times than not they'll be stuck in a hard group because they wont be seeded. Ghana has been in tough pairings the past 2 WC's and they still were able to move on. They have managed 1 point in their 4 matches against the top teams in the groups. I guess the bad luck for them is always playing the weakest team in their final group match. By then the group has already taken shape and they are on the outside looking in.

Andres Cantor call of Donovan's goal

:lolhitting

I thought Cantor was gonna have a heart attack after that...great call with a lot of emotion.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 10:54 AM)
Suarez that is.

He'll go to Tottenham for $15-20M straight after the World Cup that is.

Suarez that is? Huh DBAH0? He is a brilliant finisher but I think I was most impressed with how he would come back and help on defense. He really came off as an all-around player even though he had a quiet spell upfront today.

What I mean by calling Perez a bull is I love his hustle and seemingly endless energy. The way he drove right through a Korean tackle and drew a foul just minutes after drawing a corner via hustle. I enjoy guys who play like him, even though he is no where near as skilled as Suarez, Forlan and a lot of the rest of the guys on the pitch.

Oh I thought you were talking about Diego Suarez after his 2 goals, my bad.

If you're a defensive midfielder like Perez, that sort of energy / stamina is the #1 must for that position basically.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jun 26, 2010 -> 11:06 AM)
Oh I thought you were talking about Diego Suarez after his 2 goals, my bad.

If you're a defensive midfielder like Perez, that sort of energy / stamina is the #1 must for that position basically.

You are all turned around my Aussie friend. It's Luis Suarez and Diego Forlan.

So Clark was horses*** before in early defense and giveaways, so of course in the knockout phase Bradley decides to put him in. And what does he do, gives up another horsehit giveaway that leads to the score, and then picks up a crappy yellow because he is frustrated. US behind the 8 ball now.

Clark comes off for Edu. Never should of started in the first place. Hopefully this shores things up. Altidore needs to get his work rate up more. There are balls for him to finish, he just needs to get into position better. He does 90% of the work and then doesn't finish. Findley has golden opportunity and a poor finish. And then they almost give one up on the other end as our defense isn't sharp.

We need better possession in the middle, and our guys need to finish better.

Edited by southsideirish71