Who would you NOT want to be a fan of, which MLB franchise is worst?

caulfield12

Depressing Franchise Futures  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which teams' fans should be more depressed about future and present?

• KC Royals (but they have a new manager)
    • Cleveland Indians (all the youth from trades last year promising)
    • Pittsburgh Pirates (Alvarez could be superstar)
    • Baltimore Orioles (lots of young talented starting pitching)
    • Houston Astros (will Berkman, Oswalt or C-Lee be dealt?)
    • Oakland A's (competitive this year, but stadium issue looms)
    • Toronto Blue Jays (can't compete in AL East despite very impressive talent, especially pitching)
    • San Diego Padres (most under the radar franchise in baseball)
    • Chicago White Sox

QUOTE (Thunderbolt @ May 15, 2010 -> 09:29 PM)
The Astros or the Royals. Management of both franchises is incompetent at every level.

Pittsburgh.

Their inability to get anything of value for the guys they trade off or the guys they draft is legendary.

I voted for the Pirates.

Tempted to vote for us, though.

At least the Astros made the World Series in 2005, and they had a pretty good run of playoff appearances or at least competing year in and year out for much of the last 20 years or so. Plus, their park is new(er) and they draw pretty well, all things considered.

Royals fans, with the exception of April-July of 2003, haven't had anything to get excited about since George Brett retired. Well, I take that back, there was Bo Jackson.

Edited by caulfield12

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2010 -> 09:37 PM)
I voted for the Pirates.

Tempted to vote for us, though.

At least the Astros made the World Series in 2005, and they had a pretty good run of playoff appearances or at least competing year in and year out for much of the last 20 years or so. Plus, their park is new(er) and they draw pretty well, all things considered.

So you're tempted to vote for the other team that made the 2005 world series?

Not really.

If I wanted to play Devil's Advocate and argue, a case could be made, but I would list at least 6-8 teams below us in this category.

Pirates, Astros and Royals for sure, and the Orioles and Jays, you just have no chance with those three teams stacked at the top of the division.

Oakland, I don't really worship Beane and that stadium might be the worst now in the majors...very boring offense, too.

Padres, MEHHHHH.

QUOTE (caulfield12 @ May 15, 2010 -> 09:45 PM)
Pirates, Astros and Royals for sure, and the Orioles and Jays, you just have no chance with those three teams stacked at the top of the division.

Coming into the 2007 or 2008 seasons though, coudln't you also have said that the Rays had no chance with the Red Sox and Yankees stacked at the top of that division?

They've just been better at drafting and developing than the other guys, while the Jays and Orioles have squandered their resources trying to keep up every year rather than doing it right.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 15, 2010 -> 07:43 PM)
If Pedro Alvarez makes it, he'll be a pearl in a cow chip.

Then, he'll be dealt, like Adrian Gonzalez will.

And he is not even their only good prospect in their system not to mention they will have another top pick.

I'll say the Royals. They have Yost as manager, they trade away their good players for crap (though they have been better lately) and they dick around with their prospects alot. (Hochever minus 09-10, Gordon, etc..)

Actually, now that I think about it.. Thunderbolt is right, the Astros are by far the worst.

Edited by SoxAce

I chose the Pirates because they always trade their talent and it makes me mad. But honestly I'd rather not be a fan of any team in the AL East besides Boston and New York. I know Tampa Bay is good now, but basically the 3 teams are doomed year in and year out.

QUOTE (knightni @ May 16, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
There's no prize for having the most pretty abattoir.

What about beaudoire or bedroom? menage a trois?

The race to the bottom of the standings, AKA first draft choice.

1. Baltimore Orioles

2. Houston Astros

3. KC Royals

4. Seattle Mariners (Jack Z. on the hot seat now a bit)

5. Arizona Diamondbacks

6. Chicago White Sox

7. Chicago Cubs

Milwaukee Brewers

Edited by caulfield12

I think you have to say the Blue Jays. To watch a team as talented as the Jays get worked every year by the likes of the Red Sox, Rays, and Yanks would make me sick. If the Jays were in the West (or anywhere in that matter) they would have a shot of making the playoffs every year. Imagine if they were in the NL East? It would be a different story.

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 16, 2010 -> 10:32 PM)
If that was the #1 criteria, then Detroit would be the unanimous winner.

I'd rather live in the Detroit suburbs than on Long Island, in the Bronx, or around Baltimore or D.C. (sorry lostfan).

QUOTE (LittleHurt05 @ May 16, 2010 -> 09:32 PM)
If that was the #1 criteria, then Detroit would be the unanimous winner.

Detroit was not one of the choices. Anyway, I currently live in St. Louis which is regularly in the top 10 most dangerous cities in the US, heading that last a couple of times in the last decade, I believe. Not sure how much of a difference Detroit would be for me.

QUOTE (b-Rye @ May 17, 2010 -> 02:24 AM)
1. Pirates

2. Cubs

3. Royals

4. Orioles

5. Nationals

6. Mets

7. Reds

In between decent and frustrating crap every year:

1. Brewers

2. A's

3. Mariners

4. White Sox

5. Rockies

I note in your Zeal to go after the Sox that they're the only team on your list that has a recent World Series win, and they have as many recent playoff appearances as any other team on that list.