NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 01:34 PM)
How does the salary work out here? I don't think it does.

The Clippers are under the cap by more than the amount of Deng's contract, so they can absorb his entire contract without having to send salary back, unless they are able to sign a player to a large deal first.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 11:59 AM)
The Clippers are under the cap by more than the amount of Deng's contract, so they can absorb his entire contract without having to send salary back, unless they are able to sign a player to a large deal first.

This. They are a darkhorse for LeBron, but management (nor the fans) think they will get him especially with the owner situation.

If LeBron-Johnson is the goal, then Kirk must be traded.

LeBron-Bosh is far and away better, especially since you could snag Henry with that 8 pick and Johnson's contract has a good chance to look bad in a few years with his age.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 12:59 PM)

Don't all trades have to have player salaries be within 90% of each other?

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:46 PM)
Don't all trades have to have player salaries be within 90% of each other?

Only if both teams are over the salary cap. If 1 team is under the cap, they can take on additional salary. For example, the Nuggets giving Marcus Camby to the Clippers for a 2nd round pick or the Clippers giving Zach Randolph to the Grizzlies last year. In either case, the team getting the big contract player was under the cap and so was able to absorb the entire contract.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 02:09 PM)
Only if both teams are over the salary cap. If 1 team is under the cap, they can take on additional salary. For example, the Nuggets giving Marcus Camby to the Clippers for a 2nd round pick or the Clippers giving Zach Randolph to the Grizzlies last year. In either case, the team getting the big contract player was under the cap and so was able to absorb the entire contract.

Oh okay, awesome then.

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:11 PM)
Oh okay, awesome then.

If the Bulls were to trade Deng to the Magic, then the Magic would have to give back contracts worth 90%-110% of Deng's $11 million next year, because the Magic are well over the cap.

If the Bulls were to trade Deng to the Clippers, they could give him up for a 2nd round pick and the Clips could absorb his entire salary without having to send anything back.

Similarly, since the Bulls are under the cap by a max deal next year, if the Cavs wanted to do a Lebron sign and trade in exchange for a couple Bulls first round picks in the future, that could be done as well.

That article says "Bulls trade Hinrich and #17 pick to Wizards" in case you haven't clicked on it yet.

If ESPN isn't lying, they know enough about the cap level to say that the move gives the Bulls enough room to add 2 Max free agents, which was up in the air depending on where the cap actually falls.

I'm both incredibly excited and sad.

We have room for 2 max FA's...but...

This means they are going for JJ/LeBron or JJ/Bosh, which is still good, just not LeBron/Bosh.

Also, I much would have rather traded Deng/17 for the 8 with the Clips because that would have set up:

Rose/Kirk/LeBron/Bosh/Noah with Henry/Gibson/Johnson/Asik on the becnh

However, now it seems we have to look forward to

Rose/JJ/LeBron/Deng/Noah with Gibson/Johnson/Asik

If they still somehow pulled off a sign and trade for Bosh (Deng + Taj + Something), then I'll like JJ...but otherwise...I don't.

Also, Kirk was my 2nd favorite player after Noah.

QUOTE (Tony82087 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:03 PM)
At this point everything comes down to Chicago vs. Miami.

If Miami continues what they are doing, they are going to be able to offer Lebron and Bosh a chance to play with Wade, play under Pat Riley, live in South Beach, and pay no state tax........

There is no way in hell LeBron wants to share the spotlight with Wade.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)
I assume he's of the opinion that because we're trading a guard then we have to go after a guard, which obviously isn't the case.

I figured it was something involving the ability to do a sign and trade, but that would likely have involved Deng and not Hinrich anyway, although a pick might have fit in there somehow.

The Bulls needed a guard anyway, if they were to pull off the Lebron signing then the Pietrus trade makes a good deal of sense.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
Why?

No shooting guard, and they wouldn't have room for a Ray Allen type after signing LeBron/Bosh, the Wizards don't have a pick to send over like the 8th, and there was the rumor that JJ would sign for 4yr/60M

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:08 PM)
No shooting guard, and they wouldn't have room for a Ray Allen type after signing LeBron/Bosh, the Wizards don't have a pick to send over like the 8th, and there was the rumor that JJ would sign for 4yr/60M

Depends on what a guard like Allen is going to get offered by the Celtics. I'm not sure that a lot of teams will want to offer him more than the MLE; the Celtics could offer him a lot to hold onto him though.

Either way, the Bulls would still have the MLE, and if Lebron were to be signed, they would still very much need to move Deng's contract somewhere.