NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Chisoxfn @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:32 PM)
Insane, 2 max contracts. Crazy. Crazy. I don't know what it means for Deng if we go for LBJ, but I could make a case that you could play LBJ/Deng/Johnson in a small up tempo lineup.

I don't see why the Magic wouldn't do the Pietrus + Gortat deal if the Bulls were willing to do it. Their starting lineup gets another upgrade including better scoring, and they could use the MLE to add to the depth that they'd just lost.

anyone else worried that after all this the bulls come out with nothing or overpaying for 2nd tier players? The scenario:

Two easy ones:

lebron stays, brings in bosh

wade stays, brings in amare

Then.....

new york and or the nets sign lee, johnson and/or boozer

At best we get one of those last three, or none at all.

Sigh...

Edited by Jenksismybitch

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:55 PM)
I'm being told by my friend the Hinrich + 17 trade doesn't shed enough salary to pursue two maximum contracts.

Can someone explain?

the radio was just saying the real number is 33 million, and the bulls are at 30. didn't hear why though

I'm being told by my friend the Hinrich + 17 trade doesn't shed enough salary to pursue two maximum contracts.

Can someone explain?

I dont have the math here but we can sign one guy at the true max level and then another guy at just below the max level. Still a boat load but not a true max contract.

QUOTE (maggsmaggs @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:57 PM)
I dont have the math here but we can sign one guy at the true max level and then another guy at just below the max level. Still a boat load but not a true max contract.

That. If we sign Lebron for the max & we get Bosh he may have to take $1-$2 mil. less. I know horrible right?

Can someone explain?

Thats why I think they are going after Johnson, as the rumor is he'll take an under max deal from the Bulls.

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
Thats why I think they are going after Johnson, as the rumor is he'll take an under max deal from the Bulls.

If you can pair Johnson up with LeBron, I don't care.

Johnson's a nice #2 to have, but no matter what, he can't be your #1. Look what's happened to Atlanta these past couple of years.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:56 PM)
anyone else worried that after all this the bulls come out with nothing or overpaying for 2nd tier players? The scenario:

Two easy ones:

lebron stays, brings in bosh

I believe if the Cavs could afford to bring in Bosh, this would be a good option. They can't though.

QUOTE (justBLAZE @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:03 PM)
Deng to Clippers for #8 straight up?

I don't think they'd do that with how injury-prone Deng's been the last couple years, but if they did, that'd would free us up a whole lot of money for July 1st

QUOTE (chw42 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
    If you can pair Johnson up with LeBron, I don't care.

Johnson's a nice #2 to have, but no matter what, he can't be your #1. Look what's happened to Atlanta these past couple of years.

I know, it's just having Henry/Kirk/LBJ/Bosh fills out the roster a lot better than JJ/LBJ

I just got a bad feeling. Trading Deng would mean to me that LBJ is coming with Bosh, trading Kirk makes me think that JJ is the only sure thing.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 03:20 PM)
    If there's a way for a team to lose the MLE rights I don't know what it is.

Right here, from NBA salary cap FAQ:

The Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and Traded Player exceptions may be lost entirely, or the team may never receive them to begin with. This happens when their team salary is so low that when the exceptions are added to the team salary, the sum is still below the salary cap. If the team salary is below this level when the exception arises, then the team doesn't get the exception. If the team salary ever drops below this level during the year, then any exceptions they had are lost.

To paraphrase, the Bulls do not have any exceptions to use because of their $30 mil in cap space. They can not go over the cap to sign Lebron/Bosh and then still use the MLE to sign a SG because it's only available to teams that are over the cap at the start of the off-season.

I’m 95% sure we’re signing LeBron for many reasons.

• Thibodeau – The Bulls had zero interest until he signed with World Wide Wes. The next day they got on a plane and went to LA to sign him. WWW is LeBron’s agent, and rumor has it this was a down payment to take the lead in the LeBron sweepstakes.
    • Jalen Rose – He’s one of World Wide Wes’s oldest friends, and two days ago said that the Cavaliers have no chance of retaining LeBron, and that it’s down to Chicago and LAC. Come on, we all know LeBron’s not going to play in the same city as Kobe on a bad Clippers team.
    • Bosh – I don’t know if he knew of the Bulls being able to pull off another cap move like the Hinrich one that happened today, but this morning on Mike & Mike he said that it would be very interesting to play with LeBron in Chicago. Bosh later joined Waddle & Silvy on ESPN 1000 and was already alluding to a weekly radio spot with them.
    • Two max + Rose + Noah – The Bulls can win the next 5 championships if those two wanted to play here. Miami seems resigned to Amare and we know that Wade + LeBron will not work out well, there’s too much ego there regardless of what either says.
    • The Knicks suck – The Knicks suck, there is no reason for LeBron to go there and try to win with absolutely nothing on the roster, and even if he brought another player along for the ride, they still wouldn’t stand a chance.
    • World Wide Wes – He himself said he felt strongly that the Bulls were on the top of LeBron’s list. It’s all about Wes.
    • SendLeBronToChicago.com – We’ve been at this for months, and a fat billboard at Grand and LaSalle designed by me clearly has already had an effect on the free agent class and will continue to sway LeBron!

I'd put the Bulls chances at 80% for Lebron right now. You don't make the moves they've made to bring in Johnson and someone else. Remember that everyone involved behnd the scenes has been saying that many decisions have been made about who will go where, and that David Stern would be so pissed if he knew what's really gone on.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)

• Thibodeau – The Bulls had zero interest until he signed with World Wide Wes. The next day they got on a plane and went to LA to sign him. WWW is LeBron’s agent, and rumor has it this was a down payment to take the lead in the LeBron sweepstakes.
    • Jalen Rose – He’s one of World Wide Wes’s oldest friends, and two days ago said that the Cavaliers have no chance of retaining LeBron, and that it’s down to Chicago and LAC. Come on, we all know LeBron’s not going to play in the same city as Kobe on a bad Clippers team.
    • Bosh – I don’t know if he knew of the Bulls being able to pull off another cap move like the Hinrich one that happened today, but this morning on Mike & Mike he said that it would be very interesting to play with LeBron in Chicago. Bosh later joined Waddle & Silvy on ESPN 1000 and was already alluding to a weekly radio spot with them.
    • Two max + Rose + Noah – The Bulls can win the next 5 championships if those two wanted to play here. Miami seems resigned to Amare and we know that Wade + LeBron will not work out well, there’s too much ego there regardless of what either says.
    • The Knicks suck – The Knicks suck, there is no reason for LeBron to go there and try to win with absolutely nothing on the roster, and even if he brought another player along for the ride, they still wouldn’t stand a chance.
    • World Wide Wes – He himself said he felt strongly that the Bulls were on the top of LeBron’s list. It’s all about Wes.
    • SendLeBronToChicago.com – We’ve been at this for months, and a fat billboard at Grand and LaSalle designed by me clearly has already had an effect on the free agent class and will continue to sway LeBron!

It's still too much like a damn dream for me to believe it's going to happen. I'll believe it when it's official.

For those wondering

Assuming a 56.1 million dollar cap, and the Bulls sign one max guy:

Max Guy: $16,568,908

Luol Deng $11,345,000

Derrick Rose $5,546,160

Joakim Noah $3,128,536

James Johnson $1,713,600

Taj Gibson $1,117,680

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Total $41,787,904

Remaining for final FA: $14,312,096

That falls right in line with Johnson's reported 4yr/60M deal.

What I want to happen is they trade Deng + The Bobcats Pick + A Future Pick for the Clips 8th (I think about a $2.3M cap hold) pick to bring the remaining $$$ in addition to one max guy to:

$23,357,096

Subtract the money for Bosh ($16,568,908) and you get:

$6,788,188

Using that money you could probably get Ray Allen here if he doesn't want to resign with the Celtics, and depending on his price, possibly have Brad return to further tutor the big men.

Edit: To fill out that roster, you'd probably bring back Law/Kurz/Byars/Alexander at the minimum. And with the 8th pick, I'd draft Henry to get:

PG - Rose/Law

SG - Allen/Henry/Byars

SF - LeBron/Johnson/Alexander

PF - Bosh/Gibson/Kurz

C - Noah/Miller/Asik

Edited by Quinarvy

SendLeBronToChicago.com – We’ve been at this for months, and a fat billboard at Grand and LaSalle designed by me clearly has already had an effect on the free agent class and will continue to sway LeBron!

Did you really design that? because the first time I went to the site, I thought it was awesome marketing

Edited by LZPride08

QUOTE (Quinarvy @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:27 PM)
    For those wondering

Assuming a 56.1 million dollar cap, and the Bulls sign one max guy:

Max Guy: $16,568,908

Luol Deng $11,345,000

Derrick Rose $5,546,160

Joakim Noah $3,128,536

James Johnson $1,713,600

Taj Gibson $1,117,680

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Roster hold $473,604

Total $41,787,904

Remaining for final FA: $14,312,096

That falls right in line with Johnson's reported 4yr/60M deal.

What I want to happen is they trade Deng + The Bobcats Pick + A Future Pick for the Clips 8th (I think about a $2.3M cap hold) pick to bring the remaining $$$ in addition to one max guy to:

$23,357,096

Subtract the money for Bosh ($16,568,908) and you get:

$6,788,188

Using that money you could probably get Ray Allen here if he doesn't want to resign with the Celtics, and depending on his price, possibly have Brad return to further tutor the big men.

Edit: To fill out that roster, you'd probably bring back Law/Kurz/Byars/Alexander at the minimum. And with the 8th pick, I'd draft Henry to get:

PG - Rose/Law

SG - Allen/Henry/Byars

SF - LeBron/Johnson/Alexander

PF - Bosh/Gibson/Kurz

C - Noah/Miller/Asik

correct me if i am wrong, isn't roster hold only apply for 8 spots, and no more holds if you have 8 guys already?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jun 24, 2010 -> 04:42 PM)
    correct me if i am wrong, isn't roster hold only apply for 8 spots, and no more holds if you have 8 guys already?

I'm 90% sure the roster hold is for when you have to fill out the roster to it's minimum. Taking into consideration filling out the roster on minimum contracts, that scenario still stays the same.

Reading all of this just made my heart jump and gave me a boner all at the same time. If this really does happen, I may combust.