NBA Offseason Thread

Jason Goff just reported that in the last 24-36 hours that something happened with Cleveland and that they are now out of the running to keep Lebron. It's down to the Bulls, Clippers, and Heat.

Via @JalenRose- #NBA BREAKING NEWS (research/sources say) It is almost CERTAIN that LEBRON JAMES WILL NOT be returning to the CAVS! (Bulls/Heat/Clips)

Edited by Athomeboy_2000

QUOTE (Brian @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
Wow. Miami worries me.

They don't really worry me. I see no reason why LBJ and D-Wade would want to lessen their star power. Everything I hear says that Amare is all but a lock for Miami, meaning that according to the great Jalen Rose (who is tight with Wes) its down to the Bulls and sharing a city with the Champs.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:06 PM)
They don't really worry me. I see no reason why LBJ and D-Wade would want to lessen their star power. Everything I hear says that Amare is all but a lock for Miami, meaning that according to the great Jalen Rose (who is tight with Wes) its down to the Bulls and sharing a city with the Champs.

Amare really is the best fit out there for Miami too.

Miami isn't exactly the NY market either, you can only sell so many Jerseys there.

QUOTE (kev211 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
#NBA as of 2day the Bulls have the best chance of landing LBJ...Miami would need to make more roster moves...Clips have a punchers chance!

Lebron would have to be suicidal to want to work for that organization. Seriously. I don't care how much talent they have. They could have the next 3 #1 picks and you'd still be crazy to go there.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 04:06 PM)

I agree with you on Lebron and Wade, I just don't see those two working together ego wise and I think they both know it.

QUOTE (Rowand44 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:05 PM)
Trying to not get my hopes up but I'm going to be heart broken if we don't sign him.

I'd be happy with no Lebron if Bosh was the consolation prize.

Miss on both though, and we're consigned to a decade of mediocrity unless we can turn Hinrich's contract into an all-star that some team wants to dump Gasol style.

Unless I'm missing something, the Bulls actually GAIN some salary for next year in that trade. Gortat and Pietrus add up to $11.6 mil for next year while Deng makes a little under $11.4 mil. Gortat is signed forever too (at least 13/14), and Pietrus has a player option for 11/12. Considering Gortat kinda sucks, that doesn't make much sense to me. Trading a fairly productive $12 mil player for a less effective but better fit $5 mil player and a $7 mil third post player.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:19 PM)
Unless I'm missing something, the Bulls actually GAIN some salary for next year in that trade. Gortat and Pietrus add up to $11.6 mil for next year while Deng makes a little under $11.4 mil. Gortat is signed forever too (at least 13/14), and Pietrus has a player option for 11/12. Considering Gortat sucks, that doesn't make much sense to me.

Maybe one or both go to Toronto in a sign and trade?

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:19 PM)
Unless I'm missing something, the Bulls actually GAIN some salary for next year in that trade. Gortat and Pietrus add up to $11.6 mil for next year while Deng makes a little under $11.4 mil. Gortat is signed forever too (at least 13/14), and Pietrus has a player option for 11/12. Considering Gortat sucks, that doesn't make much sense to me.

Doesn't really matter as long as the Bulls aren't within $200k of the cap.

Assuming that Lebron is signed, then the Bulls are instantly a title contender, and still have the MLE remaining. They could then use the MLE and begin working to extend Noah and the only worry would be the luxury tax, and if the Chairman isn't making money hand over fist on that team then there's something wrong with him.

After we extend Noah, we won't have the chance to make a max deal offer again unless someone is traded (Rose plus Noah plus Deng plus Hinrich plus filler is enough to prevent a max deal offer starting next year). So you do that trade to clear out the SF slot and to get 2 things; depth at C/Pf behind Noah and a guy who can play SG and shoot a 3 ball, which is by far the Bulls's biggest weakness.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 05:22 PM)
Doesn't really matter as long as the Bulls aren't within $200k of the cap.

Assuming that Lebron is signed, then the Bulls are instantly a title contender, and still have the MLE remaining. They could then use the MLE and begin working to extend Noah and the only worry would be the luxury tax, and if the Chairman isn't making money hand over fist on that team then there's something wrong with him.

After we extend Noah, we won't have the chance to make a max deal offer again unless someone is traded (Rose plus Noah plus Deng plus Hinrich plus filler is enough to prevent a max deal offer starting next year). So you do that trade to clear out the SF slot and to get 2 things; depth at C/Pf behind Noah and a guy who can play SG and shoot a 3 ball, which is by far the Bulls's biggest weakness.

This part isn't true. From the CBA FAQ:

If a team is below the cap, then their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions are added to their team salary, and the league treats the team as though they are over the cap. This is to prevent a loophole, in a manner similar to free agent amounts (see question numbers 29, 30, 31, 32). A team can't act like they're under the cap and sign free agents using cap room, and then use their Disabled Player, Bi-Annual, Mid-Level and/or Traded Player exceptions.

The ONLY way that makes sense is if they get Lebron, otherwise they just traded a fairly solid starter for two fringe starters at best (unless other moves are involved).

Edited by ZoomSlowik

QUOTE (ZoomSlowik @ Jun 23, 2010 -> 06:29 PM)
This part isn't true. From the CBA FAQ:

The ONLY way that makes sense is if they get Lebron, otherwise they just traded a fairly solid starter for two fringe starters at best (unless other moves are involved).

That doesn't change what I said, and you'll note I said that it only makes sense if Lebron is signed.

If the Bulls sign Lebron, that move clears their SF spot without a giant change in salary, gets them 2 players, and allows them to retain the MLE plus a small amount because they'd still be a little bit under the cap. You don't use the MLE up before signing the big name guy, you sign the big guy first, then you use the MLE to fill holes and you start working on extending Noah because you no longer care about paying the Luxury Tax.