NBA Offseason Thread

They had the Wallace's, Billups, Rip, and Prince. I believe they had 4 All-Stars in 2006ish. Granted, individually the Heat have better players, but we will see how well they compliment each other on the same team. I highly doubt they all average 20ppg (Bosh probably drops). The Pistons, like the Celtics and Spurs of recent years have had great complimentary skill sets and role players.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:02 AM)
lol. well those pistons team didn't quite have the same level of talent the current Heat team will sport. I say that's a pretty big difference.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:04 PM)
There are many idiots in the NBA, I am 100% positive. Deng is someone who can contribute although his contract is bad, where as someone like Stephon Marbury is definitely not movable (unless to someone really dumb) because his talent completely fell off

Sorry but Isaiah Thomas isn't the GM of the Knicks anymore.

QUOTE (RockRaines @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:11 AM)
They were deeper and MUCH stronger defensively.

I think people don't understand just how good the Heat are. Bosh/Wade/James and D leaguers is a 60 win team at least. And the Heat will have better than D leaguers on the floor with them.

Here's a projection which captures just how damn good the Heat will be. This is very likely to be the best NBA team ever assembled. The Bulls win record will fall..if not next season then some time in the next 5 years.

QUOTE (Chi Town Sox @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:18 PM)
you must have missed the word MANY, Joe Dumars, David Kahn, could go on for a while

How are Dumars and Kahn idiots?

Granted Dumars hasn't had a couple of good seasons, but he built Detroit into a NBA Championship team.

In a couple of seasons, Kahn's loaded up the Wolves with quite a few good young assets to say the least. What else could he have done to make Minny any better?

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:20 PM)

Granted Dumars hasn't had a couple of good seasons, but he built Detroit into a NBA Championship team.

In a couple of seasons, Kahn's loaded up the Wolves with quite a few good young assets to say the least. What else could he have done to make Minny any better?

Not drafted two points guard

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)
I think people don't understand just how good the Heat are. Bosh/Wade/James and D leaguers is a 60 win team at least. And the Heat will have better than D leaguers on the floor with them.

Here's a projection which captures just how damn good the Heat will be. This is very likely to be the best NBA team ever assembled. The Bulls win record will fall..if not next season then some time in the next 5 years.

I don't think people really understand the gravity of what's about to take place. That's because we've really never seen anything like this. Three players of this caliber in their primes on the same team. So it's easy to be like "they don't have enough roleplayers." The typical rules of how to construct a championship team change dramatically when your THIRD best player is Chris Bosh. Yeah, they'll need a shooter, which they apparently already have gotten, and a big who can defend and pull down some rebounds (think Kendrick Perkins). But that's really it. It's really that simple.

QUOTE (daa84 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:22 AM)
i think people who dont think the heat will win championships are underestimating how good lebron is

the cavs won 66 and 61 games the last two years with absolute garbage around lebron

It's funny that with hindsight it was 'absolute garbage' surrounding him but during the season they weren't considered that.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:20 AM)

I understand that Dumars has built championships and Kahn has done a little better lately but my point is that many people in the NBA will take on a contract like Deng's. Villanueva, Darko Milicic, just a couple of bad contracts that have been given out from these two. Another can be Jeff Bower, overpays pretty much everyone and looks to get rid of them the next year. Larry Bird has some very questionable moves. There is always a schmoe ready to take one on or give a contract to a player who ends up not contributing. Deng, whether someone hates him or not, CAN contribute with the money he is being paid.

Edited by Chi Town Sox

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
I don't think people really understand the gravity of what's about to take place. That's because we've really never seen anything like this. Three players of this caliber in their primes on the same team. So it's easy to be like "they don't have enough roleplayers." The typical rules of how to construct a championship team change dramatically when your THIRD best player is Chris Bosh. Yeah, they'll need a shooter, which they apparently already have gotten, and a big who can defend and pull down some rebounds (think Kendrick Perkins). But that's really it. It's really that simple.

They are going to skull-f*** the NBA. I pray 72-10 can hold strong.

Is it possible they they will win 72+, definitely, but just having 3 great players is not enough. Just because they had that value on separate teams doesn't mean it will translate to the same value when they play together.

I think their best bet is because teams have raped themselves in hopes of landing one of them. Now you have multiple opponents who won't even field teams capable of winning 20 games.

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:16 AM)

QUOTE (hitlesswonder @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:16 AM)

Regular season means nothing. The Cavs have won 60 games the last two years and didn't win anything.

I think people are UNDERestimating the defense of this Heat team. Yeah, we all agree they're going to be able to score at will, but none of these guys are lock down defenders, and they'll have no answer for teams with a decent center.

I also think there's going to be a memo sent out by Stern to the refs about calling Heat games. If Wade and Lebron are allowed to do what they always do (drive and get every call possible) the flow of the game is going to be severly interrupted. People complained about the Boston-Lakers series this year being called the way it was, just imagine what happens when those two do that they do. I think good interior defense teams are going to be able to keep those guys in check (as much as you can keep those guys in check). And they'll have no answer for interior scoring.

As far as the Bulls, I guess i'm coming from the perspective that the franchise has been decent with an excellent decade or so. They've always been a 5-8 seed caliber team. They're better than that now, so I'm not sure why people are complaining. The Heat will probably win a couple of titles during the next 5 or so years, but I don't think the league is going to suddenly shut down. They're going to have to beat solid teams in the east - Boston (for another season or two), Orlando and the Bulls. Plus, what happens if NY gets Melo next year? What if Chris Paul signs with a major team? So much stuff can happen to equalize this Heat FA takeover.

Anything beyond saying the Heat are going to be really good is ridiculous IMO.

god, do you guys watch the NBA? The only time there have been upsets in the playoffs was when there was 5-game series, and they removed them specifically for that reason. Yes the bulls have a good team, but in any other sport that would mean they could make the championship. But not in basketball. The heat with 3 superstars and a bunch of scrubs will be unreal good. This is way better than ray allen and garnett a bit past their primes. They are all in their prime. You don't need a deep bunch when you have three players that will play 35-40 mins. per game. It's over.

QUOTE (BigSqwert @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:23 AM)
It's funny that with hindsight it was 'absolute garbage' surrounding him but during the season they weren't considered that.

exactly. Lebron had a bunch of GOOD players in Cleveland. He never had the ALL STAR or SUPER STAR type players. Yes, he gets that now, but he's also going to get a bench full of players that probably aren't as good as what he had in Cleveland.

QUOTE (fathom @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:22 PM)
Not drafted two points guard

I imagine they'll probably trade Flynn now that it looks like Rubio's definitely going to come over.

If they can trade Jefferson for a good SG, I like the makeup of that team quite a bit actually.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:30 AM)
god, do you guys watch the NBA? The only time there have been upsets in the playoffs was when there was 5-game series, and they removed them specifically for that reason. Yes the bulls have a good team, but in any other sport that would mean they could make the championship. But not in basketball. The heat with 3 superstars and a bunch of scrubs will be unreal good. This is way better than ray allen and garnett a bit past their primes. They are all in their prime. You don't need a deep bunch when you have three players that will play 35-40 mins. per game. It's over.

what are you talking about? did you watch last year? Boston in the finals was a shock.

QUOTE (Jenksismyb**** @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:31 AM)
exactly. Lebron had a bunch of GOOD players in Cleveland. He never had the ALL STAR or SUPER STAR type players. Yes, he gets that now, but he's also going to get a bench full of players that probably aren't as good as what he had in Cleveland.

Antawn Jamison, Mo Williams, Shaq and Z have all been all-stars

and that is why the NBA has turned into a complete joke. This just totally sealed the deal. They might as well fold 10+ franchises, and make 16 superteams who just play each other 5-6 times a year.

That would be more entertaining. Who wants to see Miami win 120-40 against the pillaged Nets, Cavs, and Raptors. Wow, that sounds fun.

QUOTE (bmags @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 09:30 AM)

QUOTE (Palehosefan @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 10:37 AM)
Scottie was a HOF player, but it's hard to rate him as one of the top 5 players in his era.

All around, no, but he played in the greatest era. And he was the best defender in his era probably. He was up there.

Bill Cartwright > ALL

John Paxson = White lightning

What the Cavs (haha I called the heat the cavs) dont have that the Bulls did was a Craig Hodges/Steve Kerr, etc. A guy when they would focus on Grant, Pippen and Jordan could make them pay.

It was a fun ride while it lasted, but once the fall comes and there is NFL, NCAA Football and Basketball, Hockey, NBA will once again fall off my radar.

Feels like summer love.

Edited by Soxbadger