NBA Offseason Thread

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:05 PM)
I was talking Kobe/Lebron. Kobe puts the fear of god into my ass whenever he shoots a game-winner. I don't get anywhere near the same feeling when Lebron takes a game-winner.

LeBron more often than not would rather pass it. I've seen more than enough games seeing him kick it out to Mo Williams/Jamario Moon/etc.. (even if they are open for a few seconds) for a three. Kobe never does that unless he is getting triple teamed (not doubled), and you'll see a guy like Fisher, maybe Gasol shooting the rock.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 03:10 PM)
Vinny "play calling" BG was the worst ending to games of all-time, and I swear it happened like 15 times.

Now he'll get to do it again with Eric Gordon!!! (or most likely Baron Davis)

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)
LeBron more often than not would rather pass it. I've seen more than enough games seeing him kick it out to Mo Williams/Jamario Moon/etc.. (even if they are open for a few seconds) for a three. Kobe never does that unless he is getting triple teamed (not doubled), and you'll see a guy like Fisher, maybe Gasol shooting the rock.

Now he'll get to do it again with Eric Gordon!!! (or most likely Baron Davis)

Looks like Kobe should have passed it to Derek Fischer much more often at the end.

Don't get me wrong, I poop my pants every time Kobe shoots it at the end, it's just amazing how many he has missed overall. I just have his game winners seared into my mind.

Edited by Palehosefan

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:07 PM)
Personally, I love it whenever a team plays for an isolation/single shot on the last play of a game; I would much rather see a team start moving the ball with 8 seconds left and try to run a serious offense. Isolation plays are too predictable. I defended Lebron dumping the ball off to Williams for that open shot, for example.

The worst example I ever saw of this was the Bulls with Gordon. Gordon isn't good at creating his own shot, but VDN and others insisted that was their only option; he had to go 1 on however-many-defended-him.

I agree. But let's face it, lots of times a play either breaks down or there simply isn't enough time left to really run an offensive set. So it ends up being an ISO regardless. And with Kobe being a better shooter, ball-handler and MUCH better FT shooter, Kobe over Lebron is a no-brainer.

QUOTE (Jordan4life @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:12 PM)
I agree. But let's face it, lots of times a play either breaks down or there simply isn't enough time left to really run an offensive set. So it ends up being an ISO regardless. And with Kobe being a better shooter, ball-handler and MUCH better FT shooter, Kobe over Lebron is a no-brainer.

Frankly, if I were the Lakers, I'd want the ball going into Gasol's hands at the end of a game, down 1.

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:10 PM)

I thought it was pretty obvious I was joking when I posted that, but I had to respond to this.

How exactly do you explain James having the highest scoring rate in the league in clutch situations if "he would rather pass it?" He took almost 5 more shots per 100 possessions in clutch situations than Bryant this year and scored about 15 more points per 100 in those situations.

Even if you extend it past 09/10, they were basically identical in points in 08/09 (admittedly Kobe did take 8 more shots that year), and if you go to 07/08 James had 4 more points/100 and two more shots.

I honestly don't really have a problem with the "comfort level" argument with them taking the shot even if I don't agree, but it's another to claim that Lebron doesn't shoot when it matters.

QUOTE (Steve9347 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:09 PM)
I've been Melo's main cheer-leader for like 5 seasons. He is so underrated. (or was before this year)

I wonder if Melo would be the type of guy who would work out well with a coach like Thibs...

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:09 AM)
By the way, for Bulls fans, it's probably worth pointing out that JR's rule for going into the luxury tax is that he would only do so for a team that he thought could win a title. This team can't win a title. They can't win a title if they add another $15 million shooting guard. I don't know if they could win a title if they added Kobe straight up to this roster.

In other words...the Bulls are now sitting there with Boozer on a huge contract, Deng on a huge contract, Noah and Rose bordering on extensions, no SG, and they may well not add on anything major since doing so might push them over the tax level when Noah is extended.

Are you insane, Kobe Bryant would instantly make us the best team in the NBA by far.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:23 PM)
I wonder if Melo would be the type of guy who would work out well with a coach like Thibs...

I'm really hoping the Bulls are out there offering any scenario for guys like Melo or even AI2. Why the f*** not? If any of the, kill me, Miami Thrice go down, the East is in play big time.

QUOTE (whitesoxfan99 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
It is incredibly difficult for me to remember any game winners or Jordanesque moments Kobe has had during any of the Lakers championship runs. It was always a role player like Horry, Fisher, Artest, etc. that made the big shot. Sure the Bulls had Kerr and Paxson but Jordan hit tons of game winners during the playoffs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUDdF8MPzBs

i remember watching this live, when kobe was coming down with the ball after the tip, I knew it was going in, even though I didn't want it to. I never had that feeling about Lebron.

QUOTE (beckham15 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 04:02 PM)
don't know if this was reported but kyle korver to the bulls....3 yr 15 million

Outstanding signing at 5 mil per. Dude can fill it up from deep. We are quickly becomming the Utah Bulls. :lol:

Edited by SoxAce

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)
Outstanding signing at 5 mil per. Dude can fill it up from deep. We are quickly becomming the Utah Bulls. :lol:

You know what though....We could be the 4th seed and get the first real crack at knocking out Miami. The UC would be on fire!

QUOTE (SoxAce @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:03 PM)

damn! he is a good signing, very good shooter, but for that type of money, the heat got mike miller. Korver is a good shooter, but pretty much one dimensional while miller can pass and rebound.

I hope he won't be the starting SG for us next season, he and rose will get smoked on defense.

Nice way to throw away the $20 Mil cap space we have, I really expect him to be a $3mil guy.

So...different point...

If you're an NBA owner, and you happen to have a soon-to-be top 10 NBA player (i.e. Durant, Rose), and that player were asked to participate on the Olympic team...what would you say?

You just saw a situation where 2 teams appear to have lost their best player to FA for nothing and were convinced to do so while hanging out during the Olympic team. On top of that, there's lots of signs that CP3 was involved in that hookup game as well, even if so far he hasn't been able to pull it off.

You already don't want your guy wearing out or getting hurt, now you also have to worry about him deciding to leave your franchise because of the Olympics?

QUOTE (thxfrthmmrs @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
damn! he is a good signing, very good shooter, but for that type of money, the heat got mike miller. Korver is a good shooter, but pretty much one dimensional while miller can pass and rebound.

I hope he won't be the starting SG for us next season, he and rose will get smoked on defense.

Nice way to throw away the $20 Mil cap space we have, I really expect him to be a $3mil guy.

He could have very easily held out and got about 20-30 mil, especially with how teams have been throwing around money lately. (have you seen the other FA signings?) We don't need him to rebound. Boozer and Noah both average 10+ you got Rose who can get 4, hopefully 5, and Deng is about 7-8 and your not even counting Gibson.

QUOTE (Balta1701 @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 05:10 PM)
So...different point...

If you're an NBA owner, and you happen to have a soon-to-be top 10 NBA player (i.e. Durant, Rose), and that player were asked to participate on the Olympic team...what would you say?

You just saw a situation where 2 teams appear to have lost their best player to FA for nothing and were convinced to do so while hanging out during the Olympic team. On top of that, there's lots of signs that CP3 was involved in that hookup game as well, even if so far he hasn't been able to pull it off.

You already don't want your guy wearing out or getting hurt, now you also have to worry about him deciding to leave your franchise because of the Olympics?

Id have a hard time telling someone they couldnt represent their country in the Olympics.

QUOTE (DBAHO @ Jul 9, 2010 -> 06:20 PM)
He'll get eaten up defensively though.

Right now, it's all about the system for the Bulls. Was Ray Allen thought of as a good defender a few years ago? Paul Pierce? Maybe Garnett was, but everyone seemed to, correctly, credit the coach for 90% of that defense.

Those Celtics seemed to do almost everything right in terms of their body position, hand position, playing in their system, doing their roles completely right, etc.